Author Topic: The Guardian can't stoop lower than this.  (Read 1178 times)

greekemmy

The Guardian can't stoop lower than this.
« on: July 31, 2012, 22:14:53 PM »
Having been 6 times to the Ecuadorian Embassy myself, twice over the weekend, I am disgusted at this article by the Guardian. They surely show with actions how little they care for human rights and human dignity.

It is not surprising that there is no comments section to the article.  So, here is mine:

Maybe Ms Barton, since you took the trouble to enter the pen of supporters (ex press pen) you could have taken the trouble to read the hand written messages of many supporters. If you would have, you could not have been so callous. But you did not bother did you?

I looked up your name in the Guardian and saw some of the other articles you have written. All of them seem to have comments open for the public bar this one... maybe you should get a hint that whoever gave you this job has stiched you up... poor Ms Barton, used in such manner, being humiliated, all dressed up in a red dress with lots of flowers... is it meant to resemble some kind of Scandinavian style pattern? what a contrast with the professional looking profile picture on your article.

I also note that you mainly write about music and film... what possessed you to enter the realm of politics?

Is this what Guardian editors do now? designate to News/Media, the Human Rights case of the decade? How tabloid like behaviour and using their writers for settling scores... why don't you just tell us your name Mr Guardian... hiding behind Ms Barton.

Shameful cowardness.

Here is a list of Ms Barton's other articles:

Our mercy mission for Julian Assange
    31 Jul 2012: The Wikileaks boss's mum is worried about how he's getting on holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy. We decided to drop round with a few goodies for him

London's unique and glorious music scene is unlike any other city's
    26 Jul 2012:

The Olympics offer us a chance to celebrate the capital's musical heritage, and the genres that could only have been inspired by its diverse, overlapping cultures
    11 comments
    Amy Winehouse: only now can we glimpse her legacy
    Amy Winehouse, February 2007 19 Jul 2012:

Like many other dead artists, it's easy to remember the late singer as a tragic caricature. But that betrays her real musical worth
    205 comments
    The Internet Cat Video Film Festival: my idea of heaven
    12 Jul 2012:

As part of the Walker Art Gallery's Open Field project in Minneapolis this summer, the ICVFF is a glorious celebration of those feline YouTube classics
    30 comments
    Skegness braced for backlash after graffiti campaign in battle of resorts
    22 Jun 2012: Lincolnshire resort has upset Blackpool and Brighton but is hoping guerrilla advertising and festival will attract new tourists
    Julien Temple: the dark side of Glastonbury
    The Shangri-La zone at last year's Glastonbury 13 Jun 2012:

There is no festival this year. But luckily, the director has made a film about the 'frightening, liberating' world of the festival's Shangri-La area
    104 comments
    Happy hour again: Paul Heaton tours UK pubs on his bike
    6 Jun 2012: Ex-Beautiful South frontman Paul Heaton is going on a tour of Britain, cycling from gig to gig. He tells Laura Barton why he can't write lyrics unless he's in Hull – and tunes unless he's in Gran Canaria 38 comments
    These Very Important People: who do they think they are?
    22 May 2012:

Comedians Morgana Robinson and Terry Mynott have revived TV impressionism – and they have no shortage of ridiculous celebrities to send up
    35 comments
    Warm up the record player! Laura Barton returns to Alan's
    Laura barton in Alans 14 May 2012:

Last month, Laura Barton wrote about her favourite and much-missed record store. When Alan's reopened, they asked her along to man the till
    20 comments
    Hand sanitisers: saved by the gel?
    13 May 2012: Antibacterial hand sanitiser has spread from the hospital ward to the high street – and its producers are making a killing. But who really needs it? 195 comments
    Think Jack White has a problem with women? You don't know rock'n'roll
    27 Apr 2012:

Laura Barton: The former White Stripes star shouldn't be decried for his supposed attitudes but celebrated for his masculinity
    45 comments
    Music Weekly podcast: the Rudimental truth – plus author Richard King
    AlunaGeorge Audio (42min 10sec), 27 Apr 2012:

Richard King on the madmen and mavericks who made independent music. Plus a visit from Rudimental
    10 comments
    Wildbirds & Peacedrums preview their show at A Room For London – video
    Wildbirds & Peacedrums Video (5min 48sec), 26 Apr 2012:

Swedish experimental jazz-folk-rhythm duo Andreas Werliin and Mariam Wallentin - husband and wife team Wildbirds & Peacedrums - talk to Laura Barton
    Who wants the G-spot to be easy to find?
    26 Apr 2012: Laura Barton: A cosmetic gynaecologist in Florida may have located 'a clearly defined sac', but the great fan-dance of female arousal won't end 445 comments
    The records shops that shaped our lives
    The Legendary Alan's Record Shop in Wigan 15 Apr 2012:

They were tiny, tatty – and terrific. For Record Store Day on Saturday, our pop writers remember the shops where they first fell in love with music
    318 comments

Our mercy mission for Julian Assange

Tuesday 31 July 2012 20.00 BST The Guardian

The Wikileaks boss's mum is worried about how he's getting on holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy. We decided to drop round with a few goodies for him

Laura Barton outside the Ecuadorian embassy with our hamper of treats.
Laura Barton outside the Ecuadorian embassy with our hamper of treats. Photograph: Martin Godwin

On a rain-speckled street just behind Harrods stands a line of low metal barriers. Tethered to their frame are numerous homemade placards supporting freedom of speech, felt-tipped tributes to democracy, and several pictures of Julian Assange.

The reason for this impressive craft display is that the building opposite is the Ecuadorian embassy – the bolthole for the past seven weeks of Wikileaks founder Assange since he sought political asylum to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning about sexual assault.

This week Assange's mother, Christine, expressed concern for her son's welfare. "He's under a lot of stress," she told the Washington Post. While she was heartened to learn that he has access to a treadmill, and that his friends "turn the music on and encourage him to dance with them" she was dismayed by her son's lack of access to natural light, and expressed her intention to send him "things like a sunlamp".

Poor Julian. It can't be easy to be confined to one building, no matter how prestigious the postcode. This is no slight to Ecuadorian culture – this is, after all, the great nation that gave us sanjuanito dancing, ceviche and Christina Aguilera, but every once in a while a person might crave a little variety.

And so we decided to assemble a collection of items that Assange might be missing, and deliver them.

There is surprisingly little in the public domain that illustrates Assange's private tastes and passions – beyond, of course, that famous OKCupid profile, in which he spoke of his desire to find a "spirited, erotic, non-conformist" woman with "innate perceptiveness and spunk" – and really there are limits to my dedication to investigative journalism.

So instead we packed our hamper with a selection of edible items not native to Ecuador – Kellogg's cornflakes fortified with vitamin D to compensate for the lack of sunlight in Assange's life, a jar of Vegemite (as an antipodean, Julian was likely to spurn Marmite), a packet of chocolate-chip cookies, and a punnet of clementines.

Recalling that Bill Keller, editor of the New York Times, once remarked upon Assange's questionable hygiene and the fact he wore "filthy white socks" we added three pairs of crisp, white sports socks and a shower gel in the "feelgood fragrance of eucalyptus and citrus oils" that promised to be both "revitalizing" and "refreshing." And for those times when Assange tires of the hurly-burly of activism, the Penguin Pocket Sudoku, and the Lonely Planet guide to Ecuador, and a copy of the Guardian.

Last but not least, a chocolate Olympic gold medal, to help him join in the fun.

"No you can't see him," the police officer on the steps of the embassy says flatly as I stand in the rain with our magnificent hamper. I look crestfallen. "But you can hand that over at the reception," he relents, and so I trot up the steps and through the broad glass doors, to where a second police officer and two men in grey suits stand looking faintly baffled.

"Hallo!" I say cheerfully. "We've heard that Mr Assange is missing the outside world, and so we've brought him this special hamper!" The sterner of the two suits – picture an Ecuadorian Danny DeVito – looks me up and down and then frowns. He rings a bell to a side door and while we wait for someone to answer he stares fixedly at the hamper. Though his face suggests suspicion and perhaps derision, it may mask a secret awe at the dazzling array of socks and sudoku.

The woman who answers the door is a little more enthusiastic. "We will have to check this," she says. She takes the hamper and assesses each item in turn — the cornflakes, the cookies, the chocolate gold medal. "OK," she nods finally. "We will pass it on." I beam at her. "Thank you!" I say. "We hope he enjoys it. And that the socks fit."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/shortcuts/2012/jul/31/our-mercy-mission-for-julian-assange?CMP=twt_fd
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 22:22:56 PM by greekemmy »

greekemmy

Email to Alan Rusbridger re: Laura Barton article
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 21:43:24 PM »
And here is another comment (via Media Lens - in twitter):

Email to Alan Rusbridger re: Laura Barton article

Posted by Ewan [User Info] [Email User] on August 1, 2012, 11:09 am

Hi Alan,
I hope you find the time to read my email through and reply, please excuse typos and grammar mistakes .I understand you must be a busy person, me to, but I have found time as a reader of the Guardian to share with you my response to an article recently published by your paper. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/shortcuts/2012/jul/31/our-mercy-mission-for-julian-assange

Where do I start? Honestly I can’t see how this smarmy and condescending article about Julian assuage made I past your desk. It’s not even funny, subtle or nuanced, it’s just derision, followed sneering scorn, topped with naked contempt .This attempt at side-splitting and hilarious satire tells us more about Laura Barton then it does the predicaments of Julian Assuage and the concerns of his mother. It has the tone of a nasty piece of hate-mail that a shallow 6th form girl would pass around ,making fun of the disabled girl and her alcoholic father, really funny haha.

The thrust of the piece is “Oh poor Julian, stuck in an embassy trying to get asylum, what a drama queen……please!!!” Yet what Julian’s Assuage is facing is a very serious issue, not just for him but for all of us in any western democracy. As if taken to Sweden he will more than likely be extradited to the USA , officials there have already indicated they want to charge him under the espionage act. That being the case, he could face death or life imprisonment .What would Laura Barton do in his situation? How would her mother feel?(by the way to make fun of this mother adds to the poor taste of this article)

If that chain of events unfolds, the message it sends is very clear: threaten the power structures in any serious way , which wiki-leaks has, and you will be silenced painfully and don’t expect democracy and human rights will protect. Has this extremely important issue now been given permission to be lampooned and mocked by the bastion of UKs liberal voice, the Guardian ?

Independent of whether you think him, or his mother, have valid concerns is not the point, making a mockery of other peoples genuine pain, no matter who they are, is just nasty and hiding it under the banner of “light hearted humour” is just dishonest .Then been given permission to publish it, means its condoned nastiness, maybe requested, perhaps even applauded.

Yet what’s most disturbing is your papers complicity and involvement on deciding to move Julian Assuage into the “Irrelevant nut job” category and this piece just hammers it home even further. A choice that really will have affected the minds of many readers of your paper, that have the Guardian as their sole source of news. Over time they have gradually and subtly ben told by your paper “Who he is and what happens to him, is no longer important or significant.” Then on top of that they really believe they are getting honest, unbiased, progressive news. One last question could you tell me if an article like this, same sarcastic disdain, had been written about China dissident Chen Guangcheng whilst he was taking asylum in the US embassy ,would you have published it? If not, why not?

Sincerely

Ewan Francis

http://members5.boardhost.com/medialens/msg/1343815776.html

julia

Re: The Guardian can't stoop lower than this.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 21:55:37 PM »
Greekemmy,

The Guardian should hire you !! You would do a much better job than many of their current "journalists" ! What the heck ! I want to have an opinion column at The Guardian too ! if that girl has it why not me? I am serious, I will send my CV to them right now  :D

greekemmy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 23:00:11 PM »
Lol Juju <3

yeah! let's go undercover at the Guardian see what we can find... but I won't be searching for dirty socks... I have enough in my own laundry basket... hahaha (don't we all ;))

seriously now... they have some nasty pieces of work working there... wouldn't go near them.... dangerous people.

julia

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »
Ok, I changed my mind already :D :D I don't think they pay very well either :-X

julia

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:44 AM »
I am not in the field of journalism and I don't always see the implications, but if you compare the journalism of traditional newspapers with the journalism of wikileaks there is a big gap. When you compare the risks that Wikileaks has taken with the risks that The Guardian or The Newyork Times is taking, to report the truth.. there is no comparison. There is an abyss. I wonder if at some point the two extremes will meet.  For now most of the established journalists keep quiet like mummies, I believe this is why the Bill Keller Hoax was made, to bring it up to the surface, yet most talk has been made about the "ethics" of the hoax than the issues at stake!

exclamation
how come 10 rupees bribe has been made MANDATORY in lower courts of up

Started by lastmanofindia

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 20:02:52 PM
by R
xx
Brazil's anti-spy Internet bill clears lower house vote

Started by Elaine Davis

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2014, 17:21:22 PM
by Elaine Davis