Author Topic: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?  (Read 883 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TrxiZ

  • Guest
Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
Thoughts on "Der Spiegel"

Der Spiegel is one of the most popular News Magazines in germany and also a well known and trusted Newspaper, also worldwide.

You could put "Der Spiegel" with the New York Times or other worldwide known Magazines onto one top.

But where and who are the sources of "Der Spiegel"

And why does "Der Spiegel" has so excellent knowing about ongoing happenings in Iran and Iraq ?

In the following Email you will find an answer and the "thinking of" from Stratfor Members, talking about worlds most famous News Magazine.

##to the GIFILES##

TrxiZ

  • Guest
Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1095521
Date    2010-01-25 20:03:41
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]

The German services are also hampered by Constitutional issues (they
just can't get that Nazi thing out of mind) which prohibits what kind of
person can be surveilled.

Marko Papic wrote:
> To answer Reva's question, this is certainly something that could be
> assumed. Mossad and German intelligence have grown close over the years,
> especially following the fiasco in Munich. On the other hand, Der
> Spiegel usually does very good in depth analyses and investigative work.
> Best at that in Germany. In that way, it has a very good tradition of
> investigative journalism similar to the Guardian (although it is a
> weekly, not a daily like the Guardian).
>
> Kamran Bokhari wrote:
>> If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
>> assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
>> On Behalf Of Fred Burton
>> Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
>> To: Analyst List
>> Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
>>
>> Western experts believe that this center developed into a
>> sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
>> for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
>> secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
>> organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
>> Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.
>>
>> ** This kind of granularity is critical.
>>
>>
>> Reva Bhalla wrote:
>>
>>> Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
>>> intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
>>> have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
>>> they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
>>> weapons program
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 01/25/2010
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The Secret Nuclear Dossier
>>>
>>>
>>> Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West
>>>
>>> By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark
>>>
>>> *The West has long been suspicous of Iran's nuclear program. SPIEGEL has
>>> obtained new documents on secret tests and leadership structures that
>>> call into question Tehran's claims to be exclusively interested in the
>>> peaceful use of the technology.*
>>>
>>> It was probably the last attempt to defuse the nuclear dispute with
>>> Tehran without having to turn to dramatic new sanctions or military
>>> action. The plan, devised at the White House in October, had Russian and
>>> Chinese support and came with the seal of approval of the US president.
>>> It was clearly a Barack Obama operation.
>>>
>>>
>>> Under the plan, Iran would send a large share of its low enriched
>>> uranium abroad, all at once, for a period of one year, receiving
>>> internationally monitored quantities of nuclear fuel elements in return.
>>> It was a deal that provided benefits for all sides. The Iranians would
>>> have enough material for what they claim is their civilian nuclear
>>> program, as well as for scientific experiments, and the world could be
>>> assured that Tehran would not be left with enough fissile material for
>>> its secret domestic uranium enrichment program -- and for what the West
>>> assumes is the building of a nuclear bomb.
>>>
>>>
>>> PHOTO GALLERY
>>>
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *
>>>
>>>
>>> 3 Photos
>>> *Photo Gallery:* Iran's Nuclear Program
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Tehran's leaders initially agreed to the proposal "in principle." But
>>> for weeks they put off the international community with vague allusions
>>> to a "final response," and when that response finally materialized, it
>>> came in the form of a "counter-proposal." Under this proposal, Tehran
>>> insisted that the exchange could not take place all at once, but only in
>>> stages, and that the material would not be sent abroad. Instead, Tehran
>>> wanted the exchange to take place in Iran.
>>>
>>> Once again, the Iranian leadership has rebuffed the West with phony
>>> promises of its willingness to compromise. The government in Tehran
>>> officially rejected the nuclear exchange plan last Tuesday. To make
>>> matters worse, after the West's discovery of a secret uranium enrichment
>>> plant near Qom, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad defiantly announced that
>>> he would never give in, and in fact would build 10 more enrichment
>>> plants instead.
>>>
>>> *Highly Volatile Material*
>>>
>>> But officials in Washington and European capitals are currently not as
>>> concerned about these cocky, unrealistic announcements as they are about
>>> intelligence reports based on sources within Iran and information from
>>> high-ranking defectors. The new information, say American experts, will
>>> likely prompt the US government to reassess the risks coming from the
>>> mullah-controlled country in the coming days and raise the alarm level
>>> from yellow to red. Skeptics who in the past, sometimes justifiably so,
>>> treated alarmist reports as Israeli propaganda, are also extremely
>>> worried. They include the experts from the United Nations International
>>> Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), whose goal is prevent the spread of nuclear
>>> weapons.
>>>
>>> After an extensive internal investigation, IAEA officials concluded that
>>> a computer obtained from Iran years ago contains highly volatile
>>> material. The laptop reached the Americans through Germany's foreign
>>> intelligence agency, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), and was then
>>> passed on to the IAEA in Vienna.
>>>
>>> Reports by Ali Reza Asgari, Iran's former deputy defense minister who
>>> managed to defect to the United States, where he was given a new
>>> identity, proved to be just as informative. Nuclear scientist Shahram
>>> Amiri, who "disappeared" during a pilgrimage to Mecca in June 2009, is
>>> also believed to have particularly valuable information. The Iranian
>>> authorities accused Saudi Arabia and the United States of kidnapping the
>>> expert, but it is more likely that he defected.
>>>
>>> Iran's government has come under pressure as a result of the new
>>> charges. They center on the question of who exactly is responsible for
>>> the country's nuclear program -- and what this says about its true
>>> nature. The government has consistently told the IAEA that the only
>>> agency involved in uranium enrichment is the National Energy Council,
>>> and that its work was exclusively dedicated to the peaceful use of the
>>> technology.
>>>
>>> But if the claims are true that have been made in an intelligence
>>> dossier currently under review in diplomatic circles in Washington,
>>> Vienna, Tel Aviv and Berlin, portions of which SPIEGEL has obtained,
>>> this is a half-truth at best.
>>>
>>> According to the classified document, there is a secret military branch
>>> of Iran's nuclear research program that answers to the Defense Ministry
>>> and has clandestine structures. The officials who have read the dossier
>>> conclude that the government in Tehran is serious about developing a
>>> bomb, and that its plans are well advanced. There are two names that
>>> appear again and again in the documents, particularly in connection with
>>> the secret weapons program: Kamran Daneshjoo and Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
>>>
>>> *Secret Heart of Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program*
>>>
>>> Daneshjoo, 52, Iran's new minister of science, research and technology,
>>> is also responsible for the country's nuclear energy agency, and he is
>>> seen as a close ally of Ahmadinejad. Opposition leaders say he is a
>>> hardliner who was partly responsible for the apparently rigged
>>> presidential election in June. Daneshjoo's biography includes only
>>> marginal references to his possible nuclear expertise. In describing
>>> himself, the man with the steely-gray beard writes that he studied
>>> engineering in the British city of Manchester, and then spent several
>>> years working at a Tehran "Center for Aviation Technology." Western
>>> experts believe that this center developed into a sub-organization of
>>> the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym for the "Department
>>> for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the secret heart of Iran's
>>> nuclear weapons program. The head of that organization is Mohsen
>>> Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary Guard and a professor
>>> at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.
>>>
>>> Western intelligence agencies believe that although the nuclear energy
>>> agency and the FEDAT compete in some areas, they have agreed to a
>>> division of labor on the central issue of nuclear weapons research, with
>>> the nuclear agency primarily supervising uranium enrichment while the
>>> FEDAT is involved in the construction of a nuclear warhead to be used in
>>> Iran's Shahab missiles. Experts believe that Iran's scientists could
>>> produce a primitive, truck-sized version of the bomb this year, but that
>>> it would have to be compressed to a size that would fit into a nuclear
>>> warhead to yield the strategic threat potential that has Israel and the
>>> West so alarmed -- and that they could reach that stage by sometime
>>> between 2012 and 2014.
>>>
>>> The Iranians are believed to have conducted non-nuclear tests of a
>>> detonating mechanism for a nuclear bomb more than six years ago. The
>>> challenge in the technology is to uniformly ignite the conventional
>>> explosives surrounding the uranium core -- which is needed to produce
>>> the desired chain reaction. It is believed that the test series was
>>> conducted with a warhead encased in aluminum. In other words, everything
>>> but the core was "real." According to the reports, the Tehran engineers
>>> used thin fibers and a measuring circuit board in place of the fissile
>>> material. This enabled them to measure the shock waves and photograph
>>> flashes that simulate the detonation of a nuclear bomb with some degree
>>> of accuracy. The results were apparently so encouraging that the Iranian
>>> government has since classified the technology as "feasible."
>>>
>>> SPIEGEL obtained access to a FEDAT organizational chart and a list of
>>> the names of scientists working for the agency. The Vienna-based IAEA
>>> also has these documents, but the Iranian president claims that they are
>>> forged and are being used to discredit his country. After reporting two
>>> years ago that the Iranians had frozen their nuclear weapons research in
>>> 2003, the CIA and other intelligence agencies will probably paint a
>>> significantly more sobering scenario just as the UN Security Council is
>>> considering tougher sanctions against Iran.
>>>
>>> *Mulling Sanctions*
>>>
>>> When France assumes the Council's rotating chairmanship in February,
>>> Washington could push for a showdown. While Moscow is not ruling out
>>> additional punitive measures, China, which has negotiated billions in
>>> energy deals with Iran, is more likely to block such measures.
>>>
>>> China could, however, approve "smart" sanctions, such as travel
>>> restrictions for senior members of the Revolutionary Guard and nuclear
>>> scientists. Fakhrizadeh is already on a list of officials subject to
>>> such restrictions, and Daneshjoo could well be added in the future.
>>>
>>> But the West would presumably be on its own when enforcing sanctions
>>> that would be truly harmful to Iran -- and to its own, profitable trade
>>> relations with Tehran. The most effective trade weapon would be a fuel
>>> embargo. Because of a lack of refinery capacity Iran, which has the
>>> world's second-largest oil reserves, imports almost half of the gasoline
>>> it uses. Sanctions would trigger a sharp rise in the price of gasoline,
>>> inevitably leading to social unrest. Experts are divided over whether it
>>> would be directed against the unpopular regime or if the country's
>>> leaders could once again inflame the Iranian people against the "evil
>>>
>> West."
>>
>>> This leaves the military option. Apart from the political consequences
>>> and the possibility of counter-attacks, bombing Iran's nuclear
>>> facilities would be extremely difficult. The nuclear experts have
>>> literally buried themselves and their facilities underground, in
>>> locations that would be virtually impossible to reach with conventional
>>> weapons.
>>>
>>> While even Israeli experts are skeptical over how much damage bombing
>>> the facilities could do to the nuclear program, the normally levelheaded
>>> US General David Petraeus sounded downright belligerent when asked
>>> whether the Iranian nuclear facilities could be attacked militarily.
>>> "Well, they certainly can be bombed," he said just two weeks ago in
>>> Washington.
>>>
>>> /Translated from the German by Christopher Sultan/
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
>
> Marko Papic
>
> STRATFOR
> Geopol Analyst - Eurasia
> 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 900
> Austin, TX 78701 - U.S.A
> TEL: + 1-512-744-4094
> FAX: + 1-512-744-4334
> [email protected]
> www.stratfor.com
>

####

Email-ID    1095668
Date    2010-01-25 19:40:38
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
CIA also distrusts IAEA.

Reva Bhalla wrote:
> Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
> intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
> have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
> they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
> weapons program
>
>
>
> 01/25/2010
>
>
>
>
> The Secret Nuclear Dossier
>
>
> Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West
>
> By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark
>
> *The West has long been suspicous of Iran's nuclear program. SPIEGEL has
> obtained new documents on secret tests and leadership structures that
> call into question Tehran's claims to be exclusively interested in the
> peaceful use of the technology.*
>
> It was probably the last attempt to defuse the nuclear dispute with
> Tehran without having to turn to dramatic new sanctions or military
> action. The plan, devised at the White House in October, had Russian and
> Chinese support and came with the seal of approval of the US president.
> It was clearly a Barack Obama operation.
>
>
> Under the plan, Iran would send a large share of its low enriched
> uranium abroad, all at once, for a period of one year, receiving
> internationally monitored quantities of nuclear fuel elements in return.
> It was a deal that provided benefits for all sides. The Iranians would
> have enough material for what they claim is their civilian nuclear
> program, as well as for scientific experiments, and the world could be
> assured that Tehran would not be left with enough fissile material for
> its secret domestic uranium enrichment program -- and for what the West
> assumes is the building of a nuclear bomb.
>
>
> PHOTO GALLERY
>
> *
> *
> *
>
>
> 3 Photos
> *Photo Gallery:* Iran's Nuclear Program
>
>
>
> Tehran's leaders initially agreed to the proposal "in principle." But
> for weeks they put off the international community with vague allusions
> to a "final response," and when that response finally materialized, it
> came in the form of a "counter-proposal." Under this proposal, Tehran
> insisted that the exchange could not take place all at once, but only in
> stages, and that the material would not be sent abroad. Instead, Tehran
> wanted the exchange to take place in Iran.
>
> Once again, the Iranian leadership has rebuffed the West with phony
> promises of its willingness to compromise. The government in Tehran
> officially rejected the nuclear exchange plan last Tuesday. To make
> matters worse, after the West's discovery of a secret uranium enrichment
> plant near Qom, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad defiantly announced that
> he would never give in, and in fact would build 10 more enrichment
> plants instead.
>
> *Highly Volatile Material*
>
> But officials in Washington and European capitals are currently not as
> concerned about these cocky, unrealistic announcements as they are about
> intelligence reports based on sources within Iran and information from
> high-ranking defectors. The new information, say American experts, will
> likely prompt the US government to reassess the risks coming from the
> mullah-controlled country in the coming days and raise the alarm level
> from yellow to red. Skeptics who in the past, sometimes justifiably so,
> treated alarmist reports as Israeli propaganda, are also extremely
> worried. They include the experts from the United Nations International
> Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), whose goal is prevent the spread of nuclear
> weapons.
>
> After an extensive internal investigation, IAEA officials concluded that
> a computer obtained from Iran years ago contains highly volatile
> material. The laptop reached the Americans through Germany's foreign
> intelligence agency, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), and was then
> passed on to the IAEA in Vienna.
>
> Reports by Ali Reza Asgari, Iran's former deputy defense minister who
> managed to defect to the United States, where he was given a new
> identity, proved to be just as informative. Nuclear scientist Shahram
> Amiri, who "disappeared" during a pilgrimage to Mecca in June 2009, is
> also believed to have particularly valuable information. The Iranian
> authorities accused Saudi Arabia and the United States of kidnapping the
> expert, but it is more likely that he defected.
>
> Iran's government has come under pressure as a result of the new
> charges. They center on the question of who exactly is responsible for
> the country's nuclear program -- and what this says about its true
> nature. The government has consistently told the IAEA that the only
> agency involved in uranium enrichment is the National Energy Council,
> and that its work was exclusively dedicated to the peaceful use of the
> technology.
>
> But if the claims are true that have been made in an intelligence
> dossier currently under review in diplomatic circles in Washington,
> Vienna, Tel Aviv and Berlin, portions of which SPIEGEL has obtained,
> this is a half-truth at best.
>
> According to the classified document, there is a secret military branch
> of Iran's nuclear research program that answers to the Defense Ministry
> and has clandestine structures. The officials who have read the dossier
> conclude that the government in Tehran is serious about developing a
> bomb, and that its plans are well advanced. There are two names that
> appear again and again in the documents, particularly in connection with
> the secret weapons program: Kamran Daneshjoo and Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
>
> *Secret Heart of Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program*
>
> Daneshjoo, 52, Iran's new minister of science, research and technology,
> is also responsible for the country's nuclear energy agency, and he is
> seen as a close ally of Ahmadinejad. Opposition leaders say he is a
> hardliner who was partly responsible for the apparently rigged
> presidential election in June. Daneshjoo's biography includes only
> marginal references to his possible nuclear expertise. In describing
> himself, the man with the steely-gray beard writes that he studied
> engineering in the British city of Manchester, and then spent several
> years working at a Tehran "Center for Aviation Technology." Western
> experts believe that this center developed into a sub-organization of
> the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym for the "Department
> for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the secret heart of Iran's
> nuclear weapons program. The head of that organization is Mohsen
> Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary Guard and a professor
> at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.
>
> Western intelligence agencies believe that although the nuclear energy
> agency and the FEDAT compete in some areas, they have agreed to a
> division of labor on the central issue of nuclear weapons research, with
> the nuclear agency primarily supervising uranium enrichment while the
> FEDAT is involved in the construction of a nuclear warhead to be used in
> Iran's Shahab missiles. Experts believe that Iran's scientists could
> produce a primitive, truck-sized version of the bomb this year, but that
> it would have to be compressed to a size that would fit into a nuclear
> warhead to yield the strategic threat potential that has Israel and the
> West so alarmed -- and that they could reach that stage by sometime
> between 2012 and 2014.
>
> The Iranians are believed to have conducted non-nuclear tests of a
> detonating mechanism for a nuclear bomb more than six years ago. The
> challenge in the technology is to uniformly ignite the conventional
> explosives surrounding the uranium core -- which is needed to produce
> the desired chain reaction. It is believed that the test series was
> conducted with a warhead encased in aluminum. In other words, everything
> but the core was "real." According to the reports, the Tehran engineers
> used thin fibers and a measuring circuit board in place of the fissile
> material. This enabled them to measure the shock waves and photograph
> flashes that simulate the detonation of a nuclear bomb with some degree
> of accuracy. The results were apparently so encouraging that the Iranian
> government has since classified the technology as "feasible."
>
> SPIEGEL obtained access to a FEDAT organizational chart and a list of
> the names of scientists working for the agency. The Vienna-based IAEA
> also has these documents, but the Iranian president claims that they are
> forged and are being used to discredit his country. After reporting two
> years ago that the Iranians had frozen their nuclear weapons research in
> 2003, the CIA and other intelligence agencies will probably paint a
> significantly more sobering scenario just as the UN Security Council is
> considering tougher sanctions against Iran.
>
> *Mulling Sanctions*
>
> When France assumes the Council's rotating chairmanship in February,
> Washington could push for a showdown. While Moscow is not ruling out
> additional punitive measures, China, which has negotiated billions in
> energy deals with Iran, is more likely to block such measures.
>
> China could, however, approve "smart" sanctions, such as travel
> restrictions for senior members of the Revolutionary Guard and nuclear
> scientists. Fakhrizadeh is already on a list of officials subject to
> such restrictions, and Daneshjoo could well be added in the future.
>
> But the West would presumably be on its own when enforcing sanctions
> that would be truly harmful to Iran -- and to its own, profitable trade
> relations with Tehran. The most effective trade weapon would be a fuel
> embargo. Because of a lack of refinery capacity Iran, which has the
> world's second-largest oil reserves, imports almost half of the gasoline
> it uses. Sanctions would trigger a sharp rise in the price of gasoline,
> inevitably leading to social unrest. Experts are divided over whether it
> would be directed against the unpopular regime or if the country's
> leaders could once again inflame the Iranian people against the "evil West."
>
> This leaves the military option. Apart from the political consequences
> and the possibility of counter-attacks, bombing Iran's nuclear
> facilities would be extremely difficult. The nuclear experts have
> literally buried themselves and their facilities underground, in
> locations that would be virtually impossible to reach with conventional
> weapons.
>
> While even Israeli experts are skeptical over how much damage bombing
> the facilities could do to the nuclear program, the normally levelheaded
> US General David Petraeus sounded downright belligerent when asked
> whether the Iranian nuclear facilities could be attacked militarily.
> "Well, they certainly can be bombed," he said just two weeks ago in
> Washington.
>
> /Translated from the German by Christopher Sultan/
>

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1095686
Date    2010-01-25 19:58:31
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
To answer Reva's question, this is certainly something that could be
assumed. Mossad and German intelligence have grown close over the years,
especially following the fiasco in Munich. On the other hand, Der Spiegel
usually does very good in depth analyses and investigative work. Best at
that in Germany. In that way, it has a very good tradition of
investigative journalism similar to the Guardian (although it is a weekly,
not a daily like the Guardian).

Kamran Bokhari wrote:

If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Fred Burton
Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:


Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
weapons program


01/25/2010

The Secret Nuclear Dossier

Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

TrxiZ

  • Guest
Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
RE: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1095884
Date    2010-01-25 19:22:15
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
Not saying they are also false but the involvement is exaggerated. There
is no way A-Dogg has control over the nuclear establishment. He has
tremendous amount of influence over it but this is one of those projects
that the Sepah have control over and the Sepah go back to the SL.
Daneshjoo is an A-Dogg man and therefore is unlikely to be that
influential. Same thing with Fakhrizadeh. The article or the intelligence
it is based on is over privileging his role over an entire and complex
establishment.





From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Reva Bhalla
Sent: January-25-10 1:14 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?



well we really have no way of determining Daneshjoo's or Fakhrizadeh's
exact involvement in the program. doesn't mean the claims in the article
are necessarily false



On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Kamran Bokhari wrote:

This article has some oddities. First Kamran Daneshjoo is an A-Dogg ally
and thus hasn't been around for a long time. Until recently he was EC
chief. The nuclear establishment is very large. Between the AEO, SNSC,
IRGC, the SL's office, Majlis' Nat'l Security and Foreign Policy
Committee, he doesn't stand a chance to be a key player. The Defense
Ministry has an input into the nuclear establishment but it is one of many
players. The other guy, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who is an IRGC officer
(unknown rank) and is a nuclear physicist is also an obscure guy. It also
seems like the article uses Asgari and Amiri's involvement to rattle the
Iranian chain as they have been concerned about it.



From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Reva Bhalla
Sent: January-25-10 12:42 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?



Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear weapons
program







01/25/2010



The Secret Nuclear Dossier

Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1097802
Date    2010-01-25 19:42:32
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:
> Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
> intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
> have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
> they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
> weapons program
>
>
>
> 01/25/2010
>
>
>
>
> The Secret Nuclear Dossier
>
>
> Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West
>
> By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1107428
Date    2010-01-25 19:39:50
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
Visibility into their program becomes a challenge for everyone. Our
best sources have been the past defections and probing journalists,
coupled w/SIGINT. As I've said for years, we (namely the US Govt) has
never gotten any calls on Iran correct. There is no reason to believe
that we have any understanding of the country. Regarding the nuclear
issue, MOSSAD is laser fixated to the detriment of other Arab and
Palestinian threats. A betting man goes w/MOSSAD's estimates on this
front. Universities are used for nuclear R&D inside the country.

Kamran Bokhari wrote:
> *Not saying they are also false but the involvement is exaggerated.
> There is no way A-Dogg has control over the nuclear establishment. He
> has tremendous amount of influence over it but this is one of those
> projects that the Sepah have control over and the Sepah go back to the
> SL. Daneshjoo is an A-Dogg man and therefore is unlikely to be that
> influential. Same thing with Fakhrizadeh. The article or the
> intelligence it is based on is over privileging his role over an entire
> and complex establishment. *
>
>
>
> * *
>
> *From:* [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Reva Bhalla
> *Sent:* January-25-10 1:14 PM
> *To:* Analyst List
> *Subject:* Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
>
>
>
> well we really have no way of determining Daneshjoo's or Fakhrizadeh's
> exact involvement in the program. doesn't mean the claims in the article
> are necessarily false
>
>
>
> On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Kamran Bokhari wrote:
>
>
>
> *This article has some oddities. First Kamran Daneshjoo is an A-Dogg
> ally and thus hasn’t been around for a long time. Until recently he was
> EC chief. The nuclear establishment is very large. Between the AEO,
> SNSC, IRGC, the SL’s office, Majlis’ Nat’l Security and Foreign Policy
> Committee, he doesn’t stand a chance to be a key player. The Defense
> Ministry has an input into the nuclear establishment but it is one of
> many players. The other guy, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who is an IRGC officer
> (unknown rank) and is a nuclear physicist is also an obscure guy. It
> also seems like the article uses Asgari and Amiri’s involvement to
> rattle the Iranian chain as they have been concerned about it. *
>
> * *
>
> *From:* [email protected]
>
> [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Reva Bhalla
> *Sent:* January-25-10 12:42 PM
> *To:* Analyst List
> *Subject:* Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
>
>
>
> Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
> intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
> have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
> they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
> weapons program
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 01/25/2010
>
>
>
>
> The Secret Nuclear Dossier
>
>
> Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1113558
Date    2010-01-25 19:13:40
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
well we really have no way of determining Daneshjoo's or Fakhrizadeh's
exact involvement in the program. doesn't mean the claims in the article
are necessarily false
On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Kamran Bokhari wrote:

This article has some oddities. First Kamran Daneshjoo is an A-Dogg ally
and thus hasn*t been around for a long time. Until recently he was EC
chief. The nuclear establishment is very large. Between the AEO, SNSC,
IRGC, the SL*s office, Majlis* Nat*l Security and Foreign Policy
Committee, he doesn*t stand a chance to be a key player. The Defense
Ministry has an input into the nuclear establishment but it is one of
many players. The other guy, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, who is an IRGC officer
(unknown rank) and is a nuclear physicist is also an obscure guy. It
also seems like the article uses Asgari and Amiri*s involvement to
rattle the Iranian chain as they have been concerned about it.

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Reva Bhalla
Sent: January-25-10 12:42 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
weapons program




01/25/2010



The Secret Nuclear Dossier

Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

RE: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1113572
Date    2010-01-25 19:48:40
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Fred Burton
Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:
> Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
> intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
> have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
> they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
> weapons program
>
>
>
> 01/25/2010
>
>
>
>
> The Secret Nuclear Dossier
>
>
> Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West
>
> By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

Fwd: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?]

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1116451
Date    2010-01-25 19:56:41
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
8

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1132153
Date    2010-01-25 20:35:56
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
List-Name    [email protected]
Other media reports that the new intelligence itself came from BND (other
than just the laptop which the article mentions). I bet it was leaked by
them or IAEA in Vienna.

Marko Papic wrote:

To answer Reva's question, this is certainly something that could be
assumed. Mossad and German intelligence have grown close over the years,
especially following the fiasco in Munich. On the other hand, Der
Spiegel usually does very good in depth analyses and investigative work.
Best at that in Germany. In that way, it has a very good tradition of
investigative journalism similar to the Guardian (although it is a
weekly, not a daily like the Guardian).

Kamran Bokhari wrote:

If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Fred Burton
Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:


Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
weapons program



01/25/2010




The Secret Nuclear Dossier


Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1632040
Date    2010-01-25 20:35:56
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
Other media reports that the new intelligence itself came from BND (other
than just the laptop which the article mentions). I bet it was leaked by
them or IAEA in Vienna.

Marko Papic wrote:

To answer Reva's question, this is certainly something that could be
assumed. Mossad and German intelligence have grown close over the years,
especially following the fiasco in Munich. On the other hand, Der
Spiegel usually does very good in depth analyses and investigative work.
Best at that in Germany. In that way, it has a very good tradition of
investigative journalism similar to the Guardian (although it is a
weekly, not a daily like the Guardian).

Kamran Bokhari wrote:

If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Fred Burton
Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:


Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
weapons program



01/25/2010




The Secret Nuclear Dossier


Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Released on 2012-08-11 00:00 GMT
Email-ID    1728760
Date    2010-01-25 19:58:31
From    [email protected]
To    [email protected]
To answer Reva's question, this is certainly something that could be
assumed. Mossad and German intelligence have grown close over the years,
especially following the fiasco in Munich. On the other hand, Der Spiegel
usually does very good in depth analyses and investigative work. Best at
that in Germany. In that way, it has a very good tradition of
investigative journalism similar to the Guardian (although it is a weekly,
not a daily like the Guardian).

Kamran Bokhari wrote:

If you are going by what defectors tell you then it is also reasonable to
assume that the Iranians have moved things around since the defections.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Fred Burton
Sent: January-25-10 1:43 PM
To: Analyst List
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?

Western experts believe that this center developed into a
sub-organization of the Defense Ministry known as the FEDAT, an acronym
for the "Department for Expanded High-Technology Applications" -- the
secret heart of Iran's nuclear weapons program. The head of that
organization is Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, 48, an officer in the Revolutionary
Guard and a professor at Tehran's Imam Hossein University.

** This kind of granularity is critical.


Reva Bhalla wrote:


Any thoughts on Der Spiegel as an outlet for Mossad or any other
intelligence agencies? Have we seen examples of this in the past? They
have some insane detail here (read the second half) where they claim
they've got all this access to a classified doc on Iran's nuclear
weapons program



01/25/2010




The Secret Nuclear Dossier


Intelligence from Tehran Elevates Concern in the West

By Dieter Bednarz, Erich Follath and Holger Stark

####

If the #GIFILES are back online I will link the Originals.

You find them via TOR on the WikiLeaks Onion.

TrxiZ

  • Guest
Re: Thoughts on Der Spiegel?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »


xx
Info Wars - Thoughts and Opinions

Started by Dystopia

5 Replies
1763 Views
Last post May 02, 2012, 05:17:52 AM
by MayorOfCydonia
xx
Talking about the future...some thoughts about JA new TV show

Started by Ashi

4 Replies
708 Views
Last post February 22, 2012, 12:22:17 PM
by Ashi
xx
New Data Communications Bill to store everyone’s thoughts for a year

Started by Riney

0 Replies
348 Views
Last post December 04, 2012, 03:03:59 PM
by Riney
xx
Deep thoughts from Senator Ludlam on Julian Assange

Started by enrica

0 Replies
1032 Views
Last post December 13, 2011, 09:50:43 PM
by enrica