Author Topic: Which is better, AlJazeera or Russia Today?  (Read 8876 times)

Offline MayorOfCydonia

Which is better, AlJazeera or Russia Today?
« on: June 13, 2011, 22:17:22 PM »
I watch AlJazeera on Youtube a lot and AlJazeera is a truely global news station and they have correspondents in pretty much every part of the world, unlike the American media, which has been cutting back on their correspondents as much as possible to save money, but also because they think Americans are only interested in celebrities and crap. Also they cover stories indepth and they cover important stories and not things like politician's weiners. Basically their news reporting is much better quality than what you would get from the corporate media.

Russia Today is more conspiratorial in nature, unlike AlJazeera, but they cover news stories indepth and they cover stories that the corporate media simply won't touch.

A lot of people in America think AlJazeera is run by terrorists and Russia Today is run by Communists, but if you've spent time watching them, they are clearly much better channels than anything the US corporate media can produce.

themillieblog

Re: Which is better, AlJazeera or Russia Today?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
They're both good. I watch Russia Today more and am used to watching all my updates with RT.

Offline ShyClone

• New Member Group
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 15:04:40 PM »
I think both are good, but is good to watch more sources, not only RT or AlJezeera. I used to watch AlJazeera a lot but i didn't like they coverage over things in Lybia, there was lack of objectivity in it, and they just put anything into the news just make sensation,... 24 hour news are mostly about rumors. Sometimes is better wait for good journalism and not only for fast one.

AlJazeera has very good blog, and little documentaries i really like :-)

My honest opinion  ;-)

Offline V

• New Member Group
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 18:37:24 PM »
After watching Aljazeera both in Arabic and English is also not very neutral they hardly report anything about Bahrain or Qatar for political reasons and Russia Today represent more the official Russian view about support of Libya.

Conclusion: both have good and dar side but they are far better than CNN or any US crappy news ;)

Offline MayorOfCydonia

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
After watching Aljazeera both in Arabic and English is also not very neutral they hardly report anything about Bahrain or Qatar for political reasons and Russia Today represent more the official Russian view about support of Libya.

Yes, all media organizations have their biases, the corporate MSM media in the US won't do any negative reports about corporations that give them advertising money either, that's another form of biasness, in addition to not attacking their own leaders or countries. The best thing to do is to watch a broard range of media and look at a broard range of websites. Man shall not live on bread alone. I think only the independant/alternative media will go ahead and do negative reports on anyone they like without any fear. If a news organization is being funded by the government or corporations, then their neutrality ends.

Offline prometheus

• New Member Group
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 16:09:35 PM »
I would go with Al Jazeeera. As for the assertions that it is too slanted, I think that Al Jazeera can get passionate about their job sometimes and therefore it may seem non-objective...but think about it; they are breaking and covering the news that is basically the whole center of gravity of the world shifting from the west to the east. The Middle East has initiated the process of liberation of itself after over a century, whereas the financial order that 'created' this modern world and civilization has gone comatose and much chaos is yet to come. Even though the narrative is fractured at this point, 10 years from now, it will seem that Al Jazeera was probably understating the things happening.

If you get the time, do check out the Meltdown series of documentaries that Al Jazeera is doing. Phenomenal stuff.

Offline Schlafendwolf

• Arius Schlafendwolf
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 17:14:06 PM »
Interesting topic here.

Both news organisations have been guilty of gross misrepresentations on news articles I have had personal involvement with, but on the other hand the reverse is also true, where both organisations have done a fantastic job reporting something that mainstream media has completely ignored.

I think RT has a very mischievous news editor, who delights in making a big song and dance about a relatively small issue that would embarrass the government invoved in a big way.

AJ on the other hand appears to have big ambitions to be a dedicated purposeful news outlet, but it's productions never quite hit the mark for me, and occasionally their amateurishness can make me quite cynical about the credibilty of the news article.

One important point though, both news organisations have a strong reputation for broadcasting stories that other news networks won't touch either for political or revenue based reasons. For instance, right now RT is running dozens of stories about the Occupy Movement around the world, where many mainstream media organisations such as BBC, Sky, and CNN are almost completely ignoring it.
Lack of fear is the road to truth,
Truth is the basis of information,
Information is the key to power.

Do not be afraid.

Offline allect

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 21:22:14 PM »
Sorry.
"You watch TV" - it's one of the most terrible insults in Russia. (Especially in Russian Internet)
Russian television is official point of view. Often this information doesn't represents real facts.