Author Topic: Glenn Greenwald: Newly leaked documents show the ongoing travesty of Guantanamo  (Read 2769 times)

Fanyajuu

Newly leaked documents show the ongoing travesty of Guantanamo

by Glenn Greenwald, Monday, Apr 25, 2011 09:28 ET

"Numerous media outlets -- The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Telegraph, and NPR, among others – last night published classified files on more than 700 past and present Guantanamo detainees. The leak was originally provided to WikiLeaks, which then gave them to the Post, NPR and others; the NYT and The Guardian claim to have received them from “another source” (WikiLeaks suggested the “other source” was Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a former WikiLeaks associate who WikiLeaks claims took, without authorization, many WikiLeaks files when he left).

The documents reveal vast new information about these detainees and, in particular, the shoddy and unreliable nature of the “evidence” used (both before and now) to justify their due-process-free detentions ..."

Read more:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/04/25/guantanamo

Flavia

"another source"? let me say that this competition between JA and DDB is very
dangerous. And it's a mess because you don't understand who's managing the materials.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 21:40:59 PM by Flavia »

greekemmy

Disturbing reading...

There is something almost insane about a prizon in an American base in Cuba of all places playing "host" to people from 48 different countries. I suggest that once closed, the buildings are flattened otherwise in a post Castro, post American base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba the locals might run tours to show the buildings of such infamous place for history tourists visiting the country. I wonder what the leaflets will say... and by then American citizens will be able to visit that country and see for themselves.

Here is a website of the Greek Museum of Democracy in one of the many, many internment camps in Greece that were used for political prisoners in the 20th century (up till 1974). Maybe these future Cubans will find it a useful reference.

http://www.mouseiodimokratias.gr/english/exhibition3.asp