Author Topic: Col. Morris Davis Discusses Guantánamo, Torture and Intelligence in the Wake of  (Read 3318 times)

Fanyajuu

Col. Morris Davis Discusses Guantánamo, Torture and Intelligence in the Wake of the Latest WikiLeaks Revelations

"In the long years of the Bush administration’s “War on Terror” — perpetuated, lamentably, by President Obama — in which soldiers are terrorists, and terrorists are “warriors,” and both of these parties are “enemy combatants” or “alien unprivileged enemy belligerents,” those called upon to play a part in this dangerous aberration from international norms have frequently rebelled, placing their allegiance to the Constitution above the President’s whims, for example, in the cases of the many military defense attorneys who fought against the government, as well as defending their clients, in the Military Commission trial system that was ghoulishly resuscitated by Dick Cheney in November 2001.

Prosecutors, too, have resigned rather than take part in an unfair process, including, most famously,  Lt. Col. Stuart Couch, who resigned rather than prosecuting torture victim Mohamedou Ould Slahi, and Lt. Col. Darrel Vandeveld, who denounced the system’s inability to deliver justice in September 2008, leading, in part, to the release of former child prisoner Mohamed Jawad.

Also of note is Col. Morris Davis, the chief prosecutor of the Military Commissions from September 2005 to October 2007, when, having been a stauch advocate of the Commissions, he resigned because he had been put in a chain of command under the Pentagon’s senior lawyer Wiliam J. Haynes II, who believed in using information derived from torture in the Commisisons, thereby crossing a line that Davis was not prepared a cross.

Col. Davis is now the executive director of the Crimes of War Project, and he and I have been in touch for several years now, as I have covered aspects of his post-Guantánamo history (see here) and have cross-posted some opinon pieces he has written about Guantánamo (see here, here and here), and during my visit to the US in January to raise awareness of the plight of the remaining Guantánamo prisoners on the 9th anniversary of the prison’s opening, I was delighted that he agreed to take part in a panel discussion about Guantánamo that I had put together for an event at the New America Foundation (and also see our Russia Today interviews here).

Below, I’m cross-posting his latest offering about Guantánamo, an important review of flawed intelligence and the use of torture — at Guantánamo and elsewhere in the “War on Terror” — that was published by Der Spiegel in the wake of the recent release, by WikiLeaks, of classified military documents relating to the majority of the 779 prisoners held at Guantánamo since the prison opened in January 2002 ..."

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2011/05/13/col-morris-davis-discusses-guantanamo-torture-and-intelligence-in-the-wake-of-the-latest-wikileaks-revelations/