Author Topic: Complain regarding Paranormal forum section.  (Read 7788 times)

Offline johndoe

• New Member Group
Complain regarding Paranormal forum section.
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
Dear WL,

When i read about the Forum i was quite excited; a new place to confront is always welcome.

This excitement faded away in a bunch of seconds when among the section i noticed "Paranormal"

This is a slap to the scientific thinking and community, this is an insult to the smart people that are driving this society and our race forward.

I myself, don't feel comfortable in discussing were such nonsense is involved. Those themes are often used to scam people, brainwash minds just as religions does.

Therefore, since i consider speaking the "truth" a 360° job which should involve every aspect of WL, i will just avoid posting until such contradiction is solved.

Thanks you.

Regards.

criticalthinker

Re: Complain regarding this section - WikiLeaks Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
I second this complaint.

Also initially happy to see a Wikileaks forum. Then deeply disappointed - and astonished - to see a Paranormal/UFO section ? And a Conspiracy section?

Come on Wikileaks. Paranormal and UFOs are used as a yellow card to shut down discussion with accusations of irrationality and nuttiness. They have NO place on Wikileaks - which is surely a place devoted to hard, verifiable fact. Or have I got Wikileaks wrong - in which case I - and many other serious people - will withdraw support.

What Conspiracies are we talking about? Bush's conspiracy about the WMD hidden all over Iraq? The Us Governments conspiracy about weaponised anthrax mailed by Arabs - that turned out to be US anthrax from a secure US military lab at Fort Detrick, mailed by Americans?  The Iran/Contra conspiracy - which turned out to be true once the conspiracy facts were unearthed? Corporations conspiring in boardrooms to increase profits? Kids conspiring to raid the cookie jar?

Please Wikileaks - say this Conspiracy/Cult/UFO is a bad joke you are about to withdraw.
It will do your cause no good whatsoever - and cost you credibility.

criticalthinker

Re: Complain regarding Paranormal forum section.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
I also mistakenly lodged my complaint in the Paranormal section. Delete it there if you wish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paranormal is Info-Tainment/Tabloid Pap. Does Wikileaks want to be associated with truth - or 'truthiness'?

This gifts your enemies  a stick with which to beat you - a 'nonsense, nutty' label with which to smear you. I would think your leader Assange has had enough of that without bringing more mockery down upon himself and his work.

I don't think WL needs to offer a place 'to shoot the breeze about things not aired in other forums".
There are plenty other wacky forums to shoot the breeze on alien goo, religion and minority cults. Try Alex Jones, Rense, UK tabloids and any number of other info-tainment sites, which are not known for their attention to either reality or facts.

Why muddy your own brand with unprovable, speculative,  silly streams of consciousness?

Conspiracies Theories? Bush- Rumsfeld's conspiracy theory about non-existent WMD hidden all over Iraq? The conspiracy about weaponised anthrax supposedly mailed by Arabs in September 2001 - except it turned out to be American-strain anthrax taken from a secure American military lab in Maryland and posted by an American? Businessmen conspiring around a table to fix a bread/oil price? Kids conspiring to raid the cookie jar? What conspiracies are WLeaks on about?

Conspiracy FACTS are what you should concern yourself with, as any criminal lawyer will tell you. Anything else takes you on a slippery slope down to low credibility.

Offline Diabolical_Dan

• New Member Group
    • Realm Of Diabolical Dan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 15:19:55 PM »
just to jump on the bandwagon here...

just what if something is found in government archives...
Area 51 and stuff like that..

i'm just saying, if anything like that is ever found, where are most UFO watchers going to go looking for it?
wikileaks of course.

and having this section brings extra traffic to the forum, thus creating more support for the wikileaks cause.

and thats a good thing.
agreed?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
-Jimi Hendrix

Offline johndoe

• New Member Group
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 16:06:02 PM »
and having this section brings extra traffic to the forum, thus creating more support for the wikileaks cause.

Then, why we don't post pictures of naked underage girls?

These will attract a lot a people to the forum. Including Italian prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/15/silvio-berlusconi-trail-underage-sex-case

The quality of the information should attract people, not its popularity.

Offline Diabolical_Dan

• New Member Group
    • Realm Of Diabolical Dan
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 16:25:59 PM »
yes you do have a good point, i was only using that as an example.

its not like the paranormal board is up there with all the main leaks though.

i'm just saying, it should stay because of the "what if" factor. Wat if there happens to be UFOs or something in leaked cables, this would be a good place to bring that up.

you cant really turn around and say aliens don't exist, what proof do you have?

like yeah i agree cults and Conspiracy theories are a bit over the top, but they do link up.

And I (like a lot of other people) enjoy reading these stories. fact or fiction it shouldn't really matter.

this is a discussion forum after all, and wikileaks does promote free speach
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
-Jimi Hendrix

Offline runa

• Kerstin
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 19:43:07 PM »
Hello Everybody!

Most of us will properbly agree with you on this topic, but

there are two reasons why this section was added. 1. we've been asked to provide the freedom of speech regarding this matter (paranormal, ufo's and Religion) and 2. we would not be able to stop people from wanting to post on those topics, and this is why we decided to make a specific section for this available. This way it is kept in one section and it is up to everbody to either take interest and participate in any discussions there or not to.  We will never be able to please everbody but we are trying to be as tolerant as possible to allow people to discuss all things they feel important. We would like to ask for your understanding.

The Admin Team

Fanyajuu

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
Hello,

I also find this UFO and Paranormal stuff quite dubious -  but ok: Better the believers  have their own corner as  if those UFO subjects would constantly apperar somewhere else where they wouldn't fit in thematically.

Offline chamsi

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 13:14:01 PM »
Considering the need to really establish WL as a reasonable tool beyond any doubt and to
protect this serious image against all kind of critism, which usually picks the "weak points",
I honestly would advise as well to skip the "Paranormal Section".
There are enough serious topics to discuss....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 13:17:36 PM by chamsi »
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." (Ghandi)

Takaros

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 13:21:22 PM »
freedom of each person is limited with freedom of other person
it is basic rule in human society
and it is principle in WL world to
I am not fun of paranormal
but I can not be so free to ask for removing of paranormal because I will threaten the freedom of those who likes paranormal.
We have to be tolerant to people who enjoy in conversation about paranormal and comment topics of personal interest.

Offline chamsi

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 13:31:27 PM »
But Wikileaks is dealing with "real" informations, being hold back for certain purposes, then
being leaked because of public interest.
As soon as there would be "real" information about paranormal topics...OK.
I would regret, if the fact based WL approach would be diminished.
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." (Ghandi)

Takaros

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 14:02:41 PM »
WL start with paranormal "stuff". It is controversial for me, but as I can see there is interest for paranormal comments.
My impression is that those members take paranormal as public interest. ;)
While they are tolerant and "mind your own bussines" I do not see reason to move those topics.
 ;D

Offline chamsi

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 14:11:14 PM »
Usually I would agree with you completely...
but I remember very well an interview with Assange, one of the questions
concerning Ufo's  among other, really important topics.
And guess, what the headline of ZEIT referred to only ?...the Ufo's ;)
I'm sure, this forum is under observation also, and if the press reports about
it, the "paranormal stuff" will be used as a negative argument for the public.
At this time, I personally would avoid giving reason to discriminate WL
in any way, as people just are waiting for it.....

admin

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 14:28:31 PM »
Before we made the forum we asked visitors of the Wl Facebook forum to put forward suggestions regarding the topics they woud like to see on a new forum.
The "Paranormal" section was suggested by many people and was therefore added.

If this is something you don't want to see then you havce the right to NOT visit this pat of the forum and use the rest. This board was created for this who WANT have room to express this particular subject and like all other boards, it is being moderated 24/7.

A statement made by a fellow member  "Then, why we don't post pictures of naked underage girls?" seems quite absurd and requires no further comment.

potjeha

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 22:34:35 PM »
True, the WL is engaged in scientific journalism, but primarily to enable formation of own opinion based on facts provided and not to impose a particular attitude or world view.

The fact that the WL is a platform for publishing classified documents opens the room for many speculations and attracts also those who have a different opinion than outlined in this thread and I think it’s okay to give them the place for discussion too, especially since we know from Assange that there’re indeed cables with references to UFOs. Those who don’t believe in the paranormal, they can simply skip this thread.