Author Topic: Alien life discovered claims NASA scientist..  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Sprawlie

Alien life discovered claims NASA scientist..
« on: March 07, 2011, 18:09:37 PM »
"A Nasa scientist has stirred up fresh debate over life elsewhere in the cosmos after claiming to have found tiny fossils of alien bugs inside meteorites that landed on Earth. Richard Hoover, an astrobiologist at the US space agency's Marshall space flight centre in Alabama, said filaments and other structures in rare meteorites appear to be microscopic fossils of extraterrestrial beings that resemble algae known as cyanobacteria."
- Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/06/nasa-scientist-evidence-extraterrestrial-life

A 100 scientists are invited to look into and comment this research so that all points of view can be considered. Their thoughts on this subject will be published in The Journal of Cosmology today.

I think these are exiting news, even though all scientists do not agree on Hoovers discoveries. It will be interesting to see what kind of conclusions this invite will lead up to.  :)
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

Offline Electric Sheep

• Facebook
Re: Alien life discovered claims NASA scientist..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:17 AM »
damn dude, i may have just copied your topic!
My apologies XD

(here is my topic: http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php?topic=352.msg1954#new )

Exdefensecontractor

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:59 AM »
It's probably timely that such discoveries are being made. Although it is curious that meteorites were not examined before .... Or were they ...... Or has there been an advancement in technology not seen before that just now allows this discovery.
Further to that .... Solar systems in the multitudes are being discovered with earth like planets increasing the probability of extra terrestrial life forms.
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20100726/nasa-new-planets-100726/

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 20:41:05 PM »
damn dude, i may have just copied your topic!
My apologies XD

(here is my topic: http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php?topic=352.msg1954#new )

No prob. That happens and the subject is relevant in both boards. If you feel like discussing this topic further right here then you are more than welcome to join this thread.  :)  :) What are your own thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 20:56:21 PM by SPRAWL »
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 20:54:45 PM »
It's probably timely that such discoveries are being made. Although it is curious that meteorites were not examined before .... Or were they ...... Or has there been an advancement in technology not seen before that just now allows this discovery.
Further to that .... Solar systems in the multitudes are being discovered with earth like planets increasing the probability of extra terrestrial life forms.
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20100726/nasa-new-planets-100726/

I am pretty shure metorites have been examined before. I know for instance that there have been a meteor collection in Japan which was found in Antarctica and these meteors (or parts of a meteor) have been examined for minerals, and other things to I presume. This was several years ago. I guess that advancement in technology and new ideas on what to look for and how can reveal new exiting things for us.  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 20:57:35 PM by SPRAWL »

Offline aMUSICsite

• Hello world
    • A great Gambian (West African) band.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 21:40:54 PM »
Considering how many planets there must be out there. It would be bigger news if they could prove there was no life off this planet.

Now the ones that can communicate with us that would be newsworthy.
My YouTube stuff
Lots of music and random stuff I've filmed/made.
My Picasa stuff
Pictures I've taken or made.

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 21:58:12 PM »
Considering how many planets there must be out there. It would be bigger news if they could prove there was no life off this planet.

That would be shocking, really.  :o I can´t imagine there would not be any form of life besides us somewhere in the universe.

Now the ones that can communicate with us that would be newsworthy.

Yes, I agree. But maybe this will turn out to be bigger then we think. Maybe there are yet details to be discovered. And if not now, then maybe in future analysis of these meteorites.  I don´t know what has been concluded by the invited scientists yet. Does anybody know?

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 22:31:59 PM »
Update:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/120008/20110308/nasa-alien-life-meteor.htm

Apparently, according to this article, NASA is not to happy about being associated with the Journal of Cosmology and Mr Hoover.

"NASA formally distanced itself from the paper published by the online Journal of Cosmology on Monday.

"NASA cannot stand behind or support a scientific claim unless it has been peer-reviewed or thoroughly examined by other qualified experts.... NASA was unaware of the recent submission of the paper to the Journal of Cosmology or of the paper's subsequent publication," Paul Hertz, chief scientist of NASA's science mission directorate, said in a statement.

Various scientists have also dismissed Hoover's claim that fossils of alien microbes born in outer space had been found in meteorites on Earth, citing lack of evidence.

"That is a claim that Mr. Hoover has been making for some years," said Carl Pilcher, director of NASA's Astrobiology Institute. "

- ibtimes
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 22:33:54 PM by SPRAWL »

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 23:48:16 PM »
Commenteries from scientists invited to look into this discovery can be found here:
http://journalofcosmology.com/Life101.html

Comments will be published on March 7 through March 10.

Offline Electric Sheep

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:03:15 AM »
Update:
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/120008/20110308/nasa-alien-life-meteor.htm

Apparently, according to this article, NASA is not to happy about being associated with the Journal of Cosmology and Mr Hoover.

"NASA formally distanced itself from the paper published by the online Journal of Cosmology on Monday.

"NASA cannot stand behind or support a scientific claim unless it has been peer-reviewed or thoroughly examined by other qualified experts.... NASA was unaware of the recent submission of the paper to the Journal of Cosmology or of the paper's subsequent publication," Paul Hertz, chief scientist of NASA's science mission directorate, said in a statement.

Various scientists have also dismissed Hoover's claim that fossils of alien microbes born in outer space had been found in meteorites on Earth, citing lack of evidence.

"That is a claim that Mr. Hoover has been making for some years," said Carl Pilcher, director of NASA's Astrobiology Institute. "

- ibtimes

oh damn, looks like Mr Hoover was using NASA's name to get famous. but to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if there were meteors with Alien Bacteria on it.

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 20:34:21 PM »

oh damn, looks like Mr Hoover was using NASA's name to get famous. but to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if there were meteors with Alien Bacteria on it.

But he is in fact a NASA employee. He is a researcher at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.   ??? Maybe there will be some updated news about this tomorrow when all of the 100 scientists have looked into this. So far, from what I have read in the news, they are not impressed.  ::)

Offline CurrieJean

• Windsor Area Rational Free Thinkers' League
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 20:44:29 PM »
Professor of Biology PZ Myers has covered the subject as eloquently as ever.

Did scientists discover bacteria in meteorites?

No.

No, no, no. No no no no no no no no.

No, no.

No.

Read the rest here, where you'll find actual sentences produced in an entertaining, snarky and informative fashion.

Follow-up here: NASA speaks out boldly on the ‘bacteria from space’ claims, and here: I am getting a very poor impression of astrobiology.

(Edit: SPRAWL. I just noticed your signature. One of my favourite Oscar Wilde quotes ever. Hat-tip to you.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 21:23:33 PM by SPRAWL »

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 21:34:42 PM »
Can you please check those links, CurrieJean?  :) I am shure there is a lot of good info. Please message me if you need help.  :)

(OT: Love Mr Wilde. Master of playing with words, isn´t he?)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 23:01:28 PM by SPRAWL »

Offline CurrieJean

• Windsor Area Rational Free Thinkers' League
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 21:55:05 PM »
You mean, summarize them? I wish I could, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to do that. (EDIT: OH! I just got your PM, the links aren't working, got it. I'm on that. lol. EDIT AGAIN: The links are all working for me. I tested them on both of my computers.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 21:59:47 PM by CurrieJean »

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
I have not been able to get these links to work  so I decided to check if there were any news about scienceblogs.com. Apperantly they are under a DDOS attack. That might explain current problems.  
 :o

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 13:11:55 PM by SPRAWL »