Author Topic: UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge  (Read 1373 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mayya

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 7874
UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge
« on: July 11, 2013, 19:51:18 PM »
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/07/2013711134946866457.html

UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge

War crimes tribunal reverses former Bosnian Serb leader's acquittal last year on one of two genocide charges he faces.

Last Modified: 11 Jul 2013 17:38

Karadzic now faces 11 charges, including two counts of genocide as well as accusations of war crimes [Reuters]

Appeals judges at the United Nations' Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Netherlands have reinstated a genocide charge against Radovan Karadzic linked to a campaign of killing and mistreating non-Serbs at the start of the Bosnian war in 1992.

The decision on Thursday reversed the former Bosnian Serb leader's acquittal last year on one of the two genocide charges he faces.

Appeal judges said the trial chamber "erred in fact in concluding that there was no evidence" of genocidal intent in relation to the killings allegedly carried out by Bosnian Serbs of Muslims and Croats in Bosnian municipalities from March to December 1992.

"The appeals chamber... reverses the trial chamber's acquittal of Mr Karadzic for genocide... and reinstates the charges," Judge Theodor Meron told the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).

Thursday's ruling is likely to further draw out his long-running trial on 10 other charges including another genocide count for allegedly masterminding the 1995 Srebrenica genocide.

Karadzic, 68, now faces 11 charges, including two counts of genocide as well as accusations of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

He denies the allegations against him, all of which relate to his role in the Balkan country's 1992-95 inter-ethnic war, in which 100,000 people were killed and about 2.2 million others became homeless.

The first genocide charge relates to a campaign to "permanently remove" Bosnian Croats and Muslims from towns and cities, collectively referred to as Bosnia's "municipalities", and claim the land as Bosnian Serb territory.

Genocide charge


A second genocide charge covers the 1995 genocide at eastern Bosnia's Srebrenica, where about 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered and buried in mass graves.

Judges last year dropped the first genocide charge saying there was no evidence to convict Karadzic for genocide in the municipalities.

But appeals judges on Thursday said the decision "resulted in a miscarriage of justice".

They said there was evidence from meetings attended by Karadzic in the early 1990s "that it had been decided that one third Muslims would be killed, one third would be converted to the Orthodox religion and a third will leave on their own."

Judge Meron added that based on evidence during Karadzic's trial - including reports of rape and violent beatings of Bosnian Muslims and Croat detainees having their "heads hit against walls" - "no reasonable trial chamber" could have concluded that the evidence was insufficient.

Genocide is the gravest crime under international humanitarian law - and the hardest to prove.

Karadzic is also being prosecuted at the UN court for his role in the 44-month siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo between May 1992 and November 1995 in which 10,000 people died.

He faces charges for his part in taking hostage UN observers and peacekeepers and using them as human shields during a NATO bombing campaign against Bosnian Serb military targets.

Arrested on a Belgrade bus in 2008 after years on the run, the carefully quaffed Karadzic was wanted in particular for masterminding the killings that followed Srebrenica's capture in 1995.

Thursday marked the 18th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre, deemed Europe's worst wartime atrocity since World War II.

At Srebrenica on Thursday, 409 victims of the massacre, including a newborn baby, were reburied in a sombre funeral service after their remains were identified nearly two decades after they were dumped in mass graves.



Source:
Agencies

Offline mayya

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 7874
Re: UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 19:54:15 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/un-judges-to-rule-on-prosecution-appeal-against-key-karadzic-genocide-acquittal/2013/07/11/0811b7bc-ea0d-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html


UN judges reinstate genocide charge against Radovan Karadzic over 1992 attacks on non-Serbs

    (Michael Kooren, Pool/ Associated Press ) - Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic enters the courtroom of the U.N. Yugoslav war crimes tribunal (ICTY) in The Hague, Netherlands, Thursday, July 11, 2013. Judges at the ICTY are ruling on a prosecution appeal against Karadzic’s acquittal on genocide charge, one of the key allegations against him over atrocities during Bosnia’s bloody war.


By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, July 11, 5:39 PM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Appeals judges at the United Nations’ Yugoslav war crimes tribunal reinstated Thursday a genocide charge against Radovan Karadzic linked to a campaign of killing and mistreating non-Serbs at the start of the Bosnian war in 1992.

The decision reversed the former Bosnian Serb president’s acquittal last year on one of the two genocide charges he faces, but it does not amount to a conviction.

Presiding Judge Theodor Meron said appeals judges believe that prosecution evidence presented at Karadzic’s trial “could indicate that Karadzic possessed genocidal intent” during a campaign in 1992 aimed at driving Muslims and Croats out of towns and villages claimed by Serbs as their territory.

The decision will draw out Karadzic’s trial on charges including orchestrating Europe’s worst massacre since World War II, the 1995 murder by Serb forces of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the town of Srebrenica.

The ruling in The Hague came on the day survivors gathered in Srebrenica to mark the 18th anniversary of the massacre by reburying 409 recently identified sets of remains exhumed from mass graves.

Karadzic’s trial began in 2009, and prosecutors rested their case last year. Karadzic, who is defending himself in The Hague, called for acquittal on all 11 charges at the end of the prosecution case, saying there was insufficient evidence to convict him.

Judges rejected his request in all but the genocide charge covering the killings and mistreatment of non-Serbs in 1992 — the charge which has now been reinstated.

Karadzic also had argued that reinstating the charge would “disrupt the ongoing trial ... and would represent an irresponsible use of public funds,” Meron said.

The 68-year-old former Bosnian Serb leader showed no emotion as Meron ordered him to stand in court and told him the charge had been reinstated.

Peter Robinson, an American lawyer helping Karadzic with his defense, said his client was disappointed by the five-judge panel’s decision, “but he is taking on board their comments about the crimes and his intent and we are determined to go on and put on a strong case in the defense phase.”

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.