Author Topic: Facebook received 15,433 data requests from NSA, 80.15% requests entertained  (Read 2192 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Elaine Davis

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 1467
  • Gender: Female
  • To thine own self, be true.
Facebook received 15,433 data requests from NSA, 80.15% requests entertained

Facebook released a data report that revealed a spike in the number of requests that the NSA had issued to Facebook for user data this year.

By Lynn Schindler on November 5, 2014

Facebook revealed some startling numbers for those who are in favor of Internet freedom, and privacy on the Internet. At least when the prying eyes are the government or government agencies. The company revealed that requests for user data of Facebook users increased by 25% and global requests to restrict content rose by 20%.
There were almost 35,000 data requests made on behalf of government agencies around the world and nearly half of them – 15,433 came from the United States government. The Indian government finished in a distant second with just under 5,000 data requests for Facebook user information.

The data released by Facebook also shows that approximately 80% of requests were entertained and worked through by the company, leaving just 20% of the requests denied. Globally speaking, government censorship also increased by 19%. However, the data also revealed that most of those requests came from Turkey, Pakistan, and India – where criticism of governments and royal families were highly-fought.

Prism was, and is, the secret program that was agreed on between the NSA and Facebook in an effort to gather user-data as it pertained to the safety and security of the national government. However, this secret program isn’t secret anymore, and Facebook is regularly releasing data on how many requests are made. The point being that, whether users are aware or not, the number of requests of data, and censorship requests are spiking dramatically as time goes on.

See Also: Facebook Messenger for iOS tracks more private data than you expect
Facebook is put in a unique position with an issue like this because the company has to carefully balance between government regulators which have a dramatic amount of authority over the operation of one as large as Facebook, but also have to position themselves correctly to attract advertisers, as well as user information – which without the company would not be able to exist as it does today.
Users privacy is something that has been at the forefront of the conversation when it comes to Facebook, and something that continues to gain traction as the company releases data showing that the government is doing more regulating on that front – than originally expected.

See Also: Facebook’s new Research Guidelines still skeptical, say Experts
There is legal precedent to be had here, as a New York court ordered Facebook to hand over the user data of nearly 400 people involved in a disability scam, which is currently being appealed. That only reiterates the difficulty and the complexity of the issues facing privacy on Facebook.


U.S. Makes Nearly Half Of Government Facebook User Information Requests

November 5, 2014 12:13 PM

MENLO PARK (CBS SF) – The latest Facebook disclosure on how often governments around the world request user information reveals that the United States government does much more snooping into the social network than any other country.

Of the nearly 35,000 requests made governments during the first six moths of the year, 15,433 were made by American authorities, and about 80 percent of the time officials got part or all of the data they were looking for. The breakdown of the U.S. numbers reveals that search warrants and subpoenas were the primary request methods.

Those numbers show an increase from the second half of 2013, when Facebook received a total of 27,230 requests for user information, 12,598 from the United States.

India (4,559 requests), Germany (2,537), France (2,249) and the United Kingdom (2,110) rounded out the top five nations in terms of request volume in the latest numbers. Of those only the United Kingdom at 71 percent had a better than 50-50 chance of getting some of the requested information.
The data reveals that the average success rate among all countries was 34 percent, although those numbers are skewed by countries which made few or no requests.

Facebook reveals the data in an attempt to provide transparency to users. Last month, Twitter sued Department of Justice and the FBI for the right to provide detailed information requests they get
GOD FORBID THE LIGHTS GO OUT and a zillion brains have to be retrained to function in manual reality.

Does anyone else get the idea that the tweets on the WL account are starting to sound a little like someone is bathing in a bird bath, eating bird food & possibly smoking bird * in his own sphere??