Author Topic: WSJ investigative series on online privacy--worrisome!  (Read 1948 times)

ElaineGray

WSJ investigative series on online privacy--worrisome!
« on: April 08, 2011, 20:20:28 PM »
Wall Street Journal long-running investigative series, "What they know," looks at how various web entities gather and use private information and how users can avoid some pitfalls. There appear to be a myriad of ways to track Internet users and the range of information is pervasive and intrusive. Some sites even allow data to be linked with names: See article, "A  web pioneer profiles users by name," at the WSJ URL above.

Helpful responses for some of these problems can be found in the article, "Wall Street Journal privacy series installs one start up." (Citation below)

http://newyorkcityonlinedaily.com/latest-business-news/wall-street-journal-privacy-series-inspires-one-start-up/

Be careful out there!

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
Re: WSJ investigative series on online privacy--worrisome!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 00:10:50 AM »
Fantastic!  Thank You ElaineGray
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them

greekemmy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 17:28:32 PM »
Where there is a will there is a way. When I was a child in Greece I asked my mother "when you buy the newspaper  at the kiosk, why do they always ask you shall I fold it and why do you always say yes?"  She explained that they did so in order to hide the newspaper title from unwelcomed enquirers. Your choice of newspaper would indicate your political affiliations and at a time when we where only a few years after the fall of the  junta people still did not trust the state or the secret service.  She continued though to explain that such action was often a facade. If you were followed by secret police the newspaper seller would be approached and asked to give the information afterall his licence would be on the line.

The point I would like to make is that if there is a will by the state to know and use information on individuals for political purposes they will do so whether they ask the kiosk owner or the website equivalent and little can be done. The example you mention of a software for protecting anonymity if I understood correctly, will be useful but like any intellectual creation it could be surpassed and broken by its antithesis (people who will oppose and fight it).

It is the will of the state to restrict political freedom that is the problem and it is political parties and institutions as well as people that must speak up and fight.  I believe that this cause will soon be picked up by the otherwise sluggish political parties. Like the Green movement after many years at the fringes of political debate, brought a new section on the polital  manifesto of most parties (will never forget Thatcher of all politicians doing a U-turn and raising Green issues at a conference in Rio many many years ago ). So is WikiLeaks the new Greenpeace?

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 00:05:22 AM »
If we are equals then  those that  attack our privacy should also expect that they  in turn have no right to privacy.  That is equality.

If  the only option we are given by a Gov. is to  obey or  be  treated as war criminals then  They started a war by defining  the people they govern as their enemy.

greekemmy>>>>It is the will of the state to restrict political freedom that is the problem<<<<

It is  the will (choice) of the state not the Right of the state.  ;-)

greekemmy>>>The point I would like to make is that if there is a will by the state to know and use information on individuals for political purposes they will do so whether they ask the kiosk owner or the website equivalent and little can be done. <<<<
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them