Author Topic: Germany decides to abandon nuclear power by 2022  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Sprawlie

Germany decides to abandon nuclear power by 2022
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »
"BERLIN – Germany's coalition government decided early Monday to shut down all of the country's nuclear power plants by 2022, a policy change prompted by Japan's nuclear disaster, the environment minister said.

Meanwhile, the country's seven oldest reactors taken off the grid pending safety inspections following the catastrophe at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant in March will remain offline permanently, Norbert Roettgen said. The country has 17 reactors total.
Roettgen praised the coalition agreement after negotiations through the night between the governing parties.

"This is coherent. It is clear. That's why it is a good result," he said in Berlin.
Chancellor Angela Merkel in 2010 had pushed through measures to extend the lifespan of the country's 17 reactors with the last one scheduled to go offline in 2036, but she reversed her policy in the wake of the disaster.

Germany, Europe's biggest economy, stands alone among the world's major industrialized nations in its determination to gradually replace nuclear power with renewable energy sources.

Through March — before the seven reactors were taken offline — just under a quarter of Germany's electricity was produced by nuclear power, about the same share as in the U.S.
Energy from wind, solar and hydroelectric power currently produces about 17 percent of the country's electricity, but the government aims to boost its share to around 50 percent in the coming decades.

Many Germans have been vehemently opposed to nuclear power since the 1986 Chernobyl disaster sent radioactive fallout over the country. Tens of thousands repeatedly took to the street in the wake of Fukushima to urge the government to shut all reactors."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110530/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_germany_nuclear_power
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

greekemmy

Re: Germany decides to abandon nuclear power by 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Great News!

enrica

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 13:48:20 PM »
Also Italy has decided to stop its nuclear projects after Japanese events. But they have still to decide what to do. Here it's just "a pause".

greekemmy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 15:08:25 PM »
Interesting interactive map of nuclear power stations worldwide, across the decades, at the BBC online site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13159407

Offline Freddie Ng

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 15:12:40 PM »
It's a great move that should follow by most nuclear countries ~~

Nomad112

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 17:47:40 PM »
I hope that Germany will make this reality, and that Sweden will make some impotant decisions as well. 

Offline Aventador

• Light from the Hell
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 18:24:55 PM »
Good Step Congratulations Germany!!! Now Please tell my Nation 'India' its planning for building new Nuclear Energy Plants even after Japan Hazard.  :-[
One chance in millions

Offline Aventador

• Light from the Hell
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 18:49:02 PM »
Concerned about Weapons: Just go through the list of nuclear weapons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 18:50:49 PM by Aventador »
One chance in millions

Offline Down_91

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 22:30:51 PM »
I hope it becomes more common among the EU.
"There comes a time when silence is betrayal." MLK

Offline Helene

• the world is not enough
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »

The news sounds better than it is.

In truth they step back to the decisions of a former government from social democrats and green party.
The Merkel government has changed this compromise in favor of the nuclear industry.

Greenpeace and other NGOs assume that it would be possible to stop nuclear power in Germany right now.

Currently only 4 of the 17 atomic power plants are on line.
The 7 oldest are shut down for ever (that's the very good news ;))
The others are in periodical maintenance.
E viola!   Lights don't go out...

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 22:25:23 PM »
But the price will go up because there is less energy available....it's common economic...what is rare and in small amounts is more expensive than that which is abundant. That's why I am not for shutting down everything ASAP. Maybe 2022 is stretching it a little too far, but the industry needs time to work on other new grounds......even building new windfarms to provide at least a fraction of what the atomic plants supplied needs at least a couple of years....not to mention searching for the right place where to build them etc.
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline jasonBourne

• V is for vigilante.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:20:05 AM »
I read about this a few days ago, and I...applaud the effort, but this isn't going to make a difference until one of us steps up and finds a legitimate new energy source. Period.

Offline Helene

• the world is not enough
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »

Dear QUANTUM.
I like your posts very much. But you are wrong in this case.
::)

But the price will go up because there is less energy available....it's common economic...what is rare and in small amounts is more expensive than that which is abundant.

The energy sector is hardly related by a free market and supply and demand.
It depends on political decisions. Not the nuclear power concerns are paying for recycling, final storage and security – that's all tax-financed. Nuclear power would be the most expensive energy if the firms have to include all of these costs. (We don't have to imply TEPCO in this calculation.)
So the governments decide to support nuclear power, oil and gas.
By the way it is also tax-financed to safe oil reserves by military actions like in Kuwait, Iraq and Libya.

If we took a part of that money for regenerate energies it would be enough for the development of new energy sources and for solid prises.

It is also wrong that there is not enough energy without nuclear power:
We have in Germany currently so many wind turbines that it is not possible to supply all of the energy to the lines if all nuclear power stations are working. We only need a few gas turbines which are available for short-time using only in periods without wind or in hard winters. Nuclear power stations are not appropriate for short-time using because of the long term warm-up and cool-down periods.

But I think it would be good if all countries considered building less air condition and heating based on electricity...  :)

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 15:01:08 PM »
Thank you Helene  ;)  <3

That was just a general opinion of mine, it's not like I have researched a lot on the subject (although I definitely should). I am not aware in details of the energy situation of Germany, but from the fact that nuclear energy produced so much of it, I extrapolated that shutting them down so fast would put a lot of strain on people and these kind of decisions need not to be hasty rather carefully thought to be long lasting. At least I voiced above worries of other germans I've spoken with and that's how they see it, mostly they think there has to be given time to build the additional infrastructure to sustain this new source of supply. But as I said 2022 is overstretching it....and it also possibly offers room for a new government to postpone their closure again like Merkel did a while ago.
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange