Author Topic: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?  (Read 13363 times)

julia

What did you think of The World Tomorrow?
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »
I liked it because Julian Assange made difficult questions and he let Nasrallah speak without interfering. The questions were very direct and compromising at times but he didn't make any judgement. He let the audience take their conclusions.. I think this show is going to be very educational. It can also be a window for peace as the more we understand each other the less the need to go to war. It would be wonderful if this show could achieve something similar to better understanding of our problems and differences. I wonder what the reaction in both the Israeli and Palestinian press will be..  I look forward to more  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:57:00 AM by juju »

Flavia

Re: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
here it is my comment to the contents of the interview
http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php/topic,10474.msg32281.html#new

sorry juju, but I can't see any window for peace...Hezbollah is not a pacifist organization and can't mediate between Assad and the Syrian opponents.

Offline Santiago

• New Member Group
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 13:52:56 PM »
I can only but congratulate Julian Assange and his team for the effort. It was a straight forward piece of journalism.  I look forward for more. Keep up the good work and thank you for shedding some light in these dark times. All the best, S

Offline Truthy

• New Member Group
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 14:04:13 PM »
For the first time I have the opportunity of hearing directly what these so called terrorists are saying.  I was not hearing anything that was frightening, and if someone took over my country, I too would be unhappy about it.  Good questions and we get to hear the answers without bullshit analysis to cloud our thoughts.  I sincerely hope Assange has go for the Australian senate, I will gladly work on the campaign doing whatever to help.  Well done!

Offline Wasp

• New Member Group
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 14:55:17 PM »
Loved it, the only problem was that I could barely hear the translator over the interviewed character. Maybe you should put subtitles up.

Offline Jerbar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 15:05:16 PM »
I liked it because WikiLeaks once again gave me exposure to information I would not have had access to otherwise. I know Nasrallah is a highly controversial figure, but I think we need to hear from all players regardless.  :) 

Offline sedufia

• New Member Group
  • like the wind
    • GlozzBey
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 17:59:32 PM »
It was a very good interview. The questions were spot on and the message was clear. The only downside I could see was the need for subtitles, but other than that it was nice to hear informed opinions about war torn areas. I really liked the fact that Julian asked about Sayyid's childhood memories, a very personable touch that helps us all reflect back as to what has formed us into what we are today. The last question about god is my favorite, as was the answer. The point of simplicity trumping complexity is also one of my favorites; "who is the father of the chicken" lol. When we think about solutions we have to not make things so complicated that we make the problem worse. Simplicity, honesty, and fearlessness are the main traits that can bring about peace; its up to all of us to demand it. So keep going Julian, your doing a fantastic job of exposing the truth. I cant wait to see the rest of the episodes, I'm sure they will be just as impressive and provocative as this one is; if not more.  :)
“Time is a factory where everyone slaves away earning enough love to break their own chains.”
Haviz

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 18:25:55 PM »
I enjoyed the interview!  I thought Julian Assange asked intelligent, thought provoking questions and presented an unbiased interview with a truly controversial individual.  I look forward to seeing the other interviews.
Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 18:27:51 PM »
Loved the show!

As anticipated, JA was a wonderful host - so refreshing to have the interviewer ask intelligent questions & actually listen respectfully to the answers!!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline mdaeleman1967

• New Member Group
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 18:59:39 PM »
I liked it. Very refreshing, a journalist who gives his guests the opportunity to actually  finish their sentences. So looking forward to the rest of the series. Keep up the good work Jules.

Offline Schlafendwolf

• Arius Schlafendwolf
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 19:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the question Juju. I have been dying to tell someone what I thought about the show (well, someone intellectual that is).
I wasn't sure about the setting at first. First impressions were that the style was simplistic and functional. It didn't quite work for me. I found myself drawn to background details too frequently, which detracted from the interview. I would have preferred a white screen background, if the conventional 'studio' wasn't felt appropriate.

I'm not sure Julian Assange was completely comfortable with his role as interviewer. Who would be after years of taking abuse as an interviewee. It is similar to the prisoner becomes the guard scenario, I think we will see that become more comfortable with time. What was really great is that Julian Assange asked difficult and pertinent questions, and then gave Nasrallah opportunity to expand and answer fully. A rarity in modern television journalism. But more importantly, he actually asked more or less the same questions I would have asked. How many times I can recall watching a long anticipated 'grilling' of a politician, only to find the questions were weak and irrelevent.

I thought the selection of the first interview was just downright brilliant. Hezbollah has been completely side-lined by the mainstream media in the west since its conception. Branded as terrorists and criminals, without justification, or a right to reply. And yet they are a potent force in Middle Eastern politics. It is so typical of western political hypocracy, that if an elected administration doesn't subscribe to our point of view we should just refuse to acknowledge them. This choice was definitely a double-edged sword. Not only has Julian Assange given Hezbollah the opportunity to declare its point of view where it had previoulsy been denied. But it is also a snub to the mainstream journalists. Nasrallah didn't come across as some machiavelian mafia terrorist type. He is simply doing his best to look after his peoples interests. And I, for one, thought he was far more credible in those terms, than our sad lot !

The astounding achievement of getting Nasrallah to come on the show cannot be overstated. I don't think it will come as a surprise to learn that this man isn't exactly on best terms with 'the west'. In fact, I don't think he really cares what we think of him or his organisation. And it shows an unparallelled respect for the goals of Wikileaks and Assange, and an understanding of what it means to be disliked by European and American administrations.

And do you know what will p1ss those administrations off more than anything? The fact that people are saying 'He sounded like quite a rational, reasonable man to me!'

But if this is an indication of what is to come in terms of the interviewee's. Then hold on to your hats !!!!
Lack of fear is the road to truth,
Truth is the basis of information,
Information is the key to power.

Do not be afraid.

Offline Will_Lebrun

• New Member Group
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 20:42:50 PM »
For me, I felt that it was clear from the start that Julian wanted to show that this was not any ordinary interview; It was extremely refreshing to not be force fed the interviewers analysis but more to put the right questions to a highly controversial figure, on a platform that had NO AGENDA! A daunting task indeed!!

I was intrigued by the amateurish set up, I was expecting more of a big budget type show, but i suspect that this was part of the planning; NO FRILLS JOURNALISM! a rare treat in this day and age.  If i could make one criticism, i felt that the line of questions and the delivery were so spot on that the show could really benefit from a slightly more professional look.  However, given that Julian is under house arrest, I understand that this would have been very difficult!

It was also perhaps a missed opportunity for Julian to have a brief discussion after the interview with the translators, they obviously had an easy rapport with Nasrallah and i was interested in how the found the character of the man.

I was on the whole, very impressed. I will be watching again.

BTW: Julian, if you read this: please keep fighting!!  :-)

greekemmy

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 20:53:47 PM »
Very interesting to read what other people think...:)

I finished watching the programme with many questions about what I had heard, as a result of what Nasrallah said. Who are the opposition in Syria? why he (and Hezbollah) a Lebanese cares so much for the Palestinians? Why are Hezbollah considered  a terrorist organisation. Although the name "Hezbollah, Hezbollah" echoes through most of the decades of my life (Greece and Cyprus are the closest European Countries to the Middle East, their culture and history so much linked to this region and not that long back in history there were millions of Greeks living there) I realised that actually I know very little about them... so here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah

As far as the programme, the format and the location, the method and the medium, these all are not what stays with us, the content is and for this.. thank you very much.

One important thing... demystifying reality is a wonderful way of sharpening our judgement and empowering our lives. By demystifying Nasrallah & Hezbollah... you equalize them.. so depending on your original perspective, you either raise them or lower them from your original estimation. Whether one or the other you end up with more knowledge about a friend or enemy or maybe in the end just accepting that they may be neither but are entitled to be as they are, for themselves and the people they represent.

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 21:25:45 PM »

One important thing... demystifying reality is a wonderful way of sharpening our judgement and empowering our lives. By demystifying Nasrallah & Hezbollah... you equalize them.. so depending on your original perspective, you either raise them or lower them from your original estimation. Whether one or the other you end up with more knowledge about a friend or enemy or maybe in the end just accepting that they may be neither but are entitled to be as they are, for themselves and the people they represent.

That's a really good point.

Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline britishfemaleatheist

• New Member Group
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 22:40:32 PM »
I thought it was amazing!!! It was wonderful to have another point of view that you generally do not hear in this part of the world and Julian Assange was awesome as an interviewer. As you would expect, he did not shy away from the big issues and his questions were very direct. I have even copied the YouTube episode link to my own Facebook status for all my friends and family to see so they can have a chance in watching this hugely important programme. I think it is hugely important that as many people watch this programme as possible.  I am certainly looking forward to the next episode!