Author Topic: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?  (Read 13363 times)

julia

Re: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »
It is very interesting to read everyone's comments, indeed! I came yesterday to read what everyone thought but there wasn't any thread so I started this one.

The interview is interesting and it has been on the back of my mind today. I just remembered a young man I met recently and connected his story to the Nasrallah interview.  This young man, he was born and grew up in Lebanon as a Palestinian refugee. He doesn't  have a passport. He doesn't belong to any country. Lebanon doesn't recognize Palestinians as Lebanese. He told me he could have gotten perhaps citizenship there but he would have been discriminated for the rest of his life. He grew up eating food that the UN gave and going to schools that the UN set up for them. Through an extraordinary effort he studied a lot and became a scientist so that he could be sent to study in Europe and the US through scholarships. When asked about Israel he said something that I will always remember. He said that he doesn't hate Jewish people, that he is very sorry for the Holocaust,   that it is a horrible thing, but that now the Jewish people are doing to Palestinians the same that Hitler did to them. When I listened to Nasrallah and he said they were just defending themselves it made sense. At the same time at some point when Assange asked him whether it was true that Hezbollah bombed and killed citizen areas in Israel I had the feeling of being in presence of an assassin. He answered that they paid back with the same coin and that they didn't start this.. yet one wonders if there could be another way. It's true that Israel has USA backing them up but and probably Europe (more pro-Palestine) doesn't want to get involved ,, so yes, they are in a weaker position. I wonder what would I do if I was in their position..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:29:08 AM by juju »

Offline Lance D Boyle

• New Member Group
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »
I thought the interview went well whether Nasrallah answered truthfully or not is another matter.
At least now we have two sides to the argument from which we (the average person) can try and make a reasonable assessment of the situation.
I did find it a bit difficult to hear the translator over the interviewees dialogue ,,,but that may be just me.
Mr Assange you are really stepping on some toes now...be careful ....
Hopefully more and more people will watch these interviews,giving you some degree of protection
Good luck, I wait with anticipation at your next outing.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein

Offline Schlafendwolf

• Arius Schlafendwolf
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 13:14:51 PM »
"Mr Assange you are really stepping on some toes now...be careful ...."

I think that stepping on peoples' toes is Julians raison d'etre.
That's why I support him so strongly.

And long may he continue to do it !
Lack of fear is the road to truth,
Truth is the basis of information,
Information is the key to power.

Do not be afraid.

Offline ArianaNovais

• New Member Group
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 02:04:27 AM »
I really surprised myself with the show, Assange did a great job. The degree of information and knowledge that he is bringing us is immeasurable, Julian has my eternal gratitude.
Hezbollah was a subject in which I did not understand, I was able to understand conente by a so original.
So... THANKS!

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
World Tomorrow E2: JA is joined by Slavoj Zizek & David Horowitz

Is it just me?... but I would way rather just listen to Julian for an hour (or more :)) than either or both of these two pundits.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jerbar

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Hello Annar :)

Now that you have pointed it out, I do notice that JA didn't seem to get to say much being sandwiched between these two very animated characters. They are very serious passionate men but their punditry did come out alot in this debate- I laugh out loud at some of the parts.  :D

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 18:20:15 PM »
Thanks for understanding Jerbar. 

I fear I will be in the extreme minority with respect to my opinion about the second episode of World Tomorrow.  Granted I am mainly watching because I am entranced with JA ( well, his public & political personae at any rate) but I did expect his guests to be articulate, reasoned & knowledgable, and I didn't find that to be the case at all.  I had hoped to hear new perspectives, to be engaged by genuine experiential insights, & above all to be challenged.  The guests disappointed me.

I loved the feel of comraderie, but this episode felt a little too casual & glib to be a serious global political talk show.

Still, I'm looking forward to the next show...JA junkie that I am :)
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Schlafendwolf

• Arius Schlafendwolf
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 20:23:56 PM »
I agree with you Annar_chy.
I have pondered the second episode, and watched it twice now, trying to work out why I felt uncomfortable with it.
I think to have two guests, both so diametrically opposed was a mistake.
The pair so frequently knocked each other that the substantive arguments didnt really get a chance to surface and be properly debated.
To the extent that I don't think that I can recall anything of intellectual note that resulted from the interview - certainly no 'revelations'.
I think 15 minutes with one, and then 15 minutes with the other to supply alternative viewpoints would have been much more fruitful.
However, I too, am greedy for episode 3 :)
Lack of fear is the road to truth,
Truth is the basis of information,
Information is the key to power.

Do not be afraid.

Offline Jerbar

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 21:29:56 PM »
Thank you Schlafendwolf and Annar_chy, I watched it 3 times thinking that I really was not capable of finding any revelations, because they must be talking above my knowledge of the subject soo much that I just wasn't able to  get it. Now I don't feel so inadequate. I do look forward to further shows all the same.  :)

Offline anon1984

• Demons run when a good man goes to war.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 21:40:06 PM »
I agree that maybe there should have been a show with each of the guests. Zizek and Assange discussing are certainly entertaining (just think of their debate hosted by democracynow!  :D ) but while translating the transcript into German I realised that I don't really know what Zizek is trying to say because he hasn't finished more than 3 sentences during the whole episode  :P (well, it's not like I counted the complete sentences, but most of the time they were interrupting each other, or Zizek was interrupting himself ^^)
The transcript should be sent to Zizek and to Horrowitz so they both complete their sentences and fill in what they were going to say, and certainly, Assange would have a lot to add, too  ::) and voilĂ , an interesting discussion!

looking forward to the next episode  ;D 
[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is.
- Winston Churchill

Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke. - Joss Whedon

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 22:17:46 PM »
I think what stuck out to me most was the revelation that a person can hold radical opinions at one point in their life and then be capable of doing a complete flip and shift their opinions in the opposite direction later in life.  It astounds me that David Horowitz once considered himself a left wing radical and is now a right wing radical.  How does that happen?  How could Slavoj Zizek be a fervent ant-communist and at some point change his mind and consider himself a communist?  It kind of breaks my brain trying to fathom it.  Could I be capable of that?  The thought freaks me out a little.  :o
Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline Jerbar

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 00:04:54 AM »
An interesting point Deepbluehue, how an individual could completely flip in ideology like that. Most people that passionate towards a belief loose their ability to be objective about evidence to the contrary. In David's case it seemed to be the death of the women that JA brought up that made him feel so betrayed he completely withdrew from political life for nine years and then reemerged on the other side as a conservative. In Slavoj's case I am not sure.   :-\

Offline spiral

• New Member Group
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:13 AM »
So far have only seen the second episode... and I am coming at this as a huge Assange fan.
I really wanted to hear more of what he had to say, to be honest...
Personally, i felt like there was some odd editing that gave the show a really bizarre feeling, as though people were abruptly changing subjects, and suddenly having full-fledged discussions with no intro.
And... there was 2.5 hours of material cut down to 28 minutes, but we wasted time watching Horowitz answer not one but two phone calls?
I did enjoy the show, and want to see more, but please, a little better editing next time.

julia

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:33 AM »
I didn't think much about the 2nd episode. I enjoyed it and I think it was meant to be more light and perhaps a bit humorous. Assange and Zizek are pals and they were very playful. I think this is why they didn't edit the phone calls. There was a lot of humor.. this is how I took it. There were funny moments.. yes, not so much depth but it still made me think.. perhaps no new info, that's true . It went well after the 1st episode though..

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 04:21:56 AM »
I figured they left the phone calls in to help Horowitz look bad.  It worked.

I think what stuck out to me most was the revelation that a person can hold radical opinions at one point in their life and then be capable of doing a complete flip and shift their opinions in the opposite direction later in life.  It astounds me that David Horowitz once considered himself a left wing radical and is now a right wing radical.  How does that happen?  How could Slavoj Zizek be a fervent ant-communist and at some point change his mind and consider himself a communist?  It kind of breaks my brain trying to fathom it.  Could I be capable of that?  The thought freaks me out a little.  :o

I think this happens all the time...it's called selling out.

But seriously, my life is entirely different now from when I was half my age - and I have changed my perspective on a variety of things.  Hopefully we keep learning and changing throughout our lives.  Some ideas stand the test of time & experience, others get tweaked & some just flounder & fail...Just like Joni Mitchell sings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcrEqIpi6sg

then she sings it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQSlH-LLTQ
 Martin Luther King Jr.