Author Topic: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?  (Read 13363 times)

julia

Re: What did you think of The World Tomorrow?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
I think any opposed extremes are two sides of the same coin. For me the only thing worth fighting for is love and you cannot get to real love without understanding. I think this is what the show is about, understanding different points of view, different perspectives, and realities and this is why I like it. 

Flavia

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 13:03:56 PM »
I didn't think much about the 2nd episode. I enjoyed it and I think it was meant to be more light and perhaps a bit humorous. Assange and Zizek are pals and they were very playful. I think this is why they didn't edit the phone calls. There was a lot of humor.. this is how I took it. There were funny moments.. yes, not so much depth but it still made me think.. perhaps no new info, that's true . It went well after the 1st episode though..
exactly, juju! it was meant to be
a kind of playful intellectual joke, completely different from the first episode. I
don't agree with those that attack Zizek, since I like provocative intellectuals and I'm not scandalized if they aren't politically correct.

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 17:39:38 PM »
Flavia, I've read & re-read this thread & I can't find any attacks on Slavoj- just opinions & observations.  Is there a post I'm missing?

While I can see this episode has some playful scenes, I didn't see anything intellectual or illuminating about it which I find disappointing, especially since I believe that The World Tomorrow could really help generate global & political understanding and awareness. 

Maybe a person needs to read Slavoj's work to understand how he is a provocative intellectual.  I might have to look into this given that you & Juju respect Slavoj so much & I want to understand what you see in him.

For sure superficial political correctness can mask prejudism, misrepresent intentions and obfuscate true debate, but if a person publically indulges in sexist jokes than I just can't bring myself to believe they have a deep understanding of equality. 

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Flavia

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 20:11:57 PM »
on the board Anything and everything there's the thread Slavoj Zizek where he
is criticised for having a wife who's much younger than him. This is what I call an attack, because it has nothing to do with his work. He is a bizarre guy but when he writes he knows what he is about. I'm going to catch a link to post...ok...this one  about multiculturalism is not too bad..http://www.infoamerica.org/teoria_articulos/zizek01.htm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 21:19:42 PM by Flavia »

greekemmy

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 22:20:25 PM »
Back in the Summer we had a wonderful discussion here at the forum about the Assange/Zizek open discussion hosted by the Frontline club at the Cinema "Troxy". I was so fortunate as to join the audience.

It was highly enjoyable event and I learnt a lot, if you would like to follow the link you may find many interesting videos and opinions about the philosopher :) I found what he said extremely interesting and his lively and idiosyncratic manner engaging and amusing. He can sit around my dinner table any time, I will place him next to my mom of 77 who is equally intellectual although slightly more eccentric and will enjoy watching the show... he does not stand a chance btw ;) I can see why he is an irresistible guest to have.

Here is the last summer's thread:

Frontline Club: Julian Assange in conversation with Slavoj Žižek/02 july 2011  (Read 2463 times)

http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php/topic,2853.15.html

But on a more serious note ....

It is an amazing thing to consider that in a huge part of our world today a conversation like we saw "at The World Tomorrow" between Horowizt and Zizek moderated by Assange would simply not have been allowed to take place and many people, young or old, as I write these words, may being tortured for attempting to express a tenth of what this interview touched upon.

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 22:32:42 PM »
@annar_chy 

Wow, that music from Joni Mitchell nearly brought me to tears!  So sad, soft and sultry.   :'(  I see what you are saying about some ideas standing the test of time and experience while others fail.
Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 23:18:44 PM »
Wow Flavia! Thank-you for the link to Slavoj's article on Multiculturalism.  OK, this writing has won me over - penetrating, articulate & challenging...just so different from how I perceive him "in person". Huh.  Maybe I will just read his stuff instead :)

Yeah, Joni Mitchell really resonates with me too Deepbluehue. I think it is partly because she is so deeply & creatively passionate and genuine in her expression.

Juju, you might like Joni - she is all about metaphors :)
 Martin Luther King Jr.

julia

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:43 AM »
Annar_chy, I just watched the Joni Mitchell videos. Thank you so much for sharing this song. I never heard it before. It's a beautiful song. It has so much depth I actually felt enlightened while listening to it. It's nice to listen the young and mature version of the same song too. Thanks for both videos :)
I think the concept of left and right is outdated, we need another solution to our problems.  The biggest thread I perceive right now is of the powerful elites who are stopping the natural evolution (by censorship and surveillance, etc). If people is not free to think they can't come up with better alternatives to this system. (capitalist) Capitalism is self destructive by nature.. When will everyone wake up? Will it be too late? I can see little seeds of a new era being planted already but in order to have an effect everyone with a conscience must think of the repercussions of every choice made right now. Even when doing your groceries.

julia

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:20 AM »

It is an amazing thing to consider that in a huge part of our world today a conversation like we saw "at The World Tomorrow" between Horowizt and Zizek moderated by Assange would simply not have been allowed to take place and many people, young or old, as I write these words, may being tortured for attempting to express a tenth of what this interview touched upon.

So true Greekemmy. We are living in reactionary times..

julia

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 06:35:53 AM »
Erich Fromm discusses different things, including the Having and being modes of orientation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7GpHrdXOFI&feature=my_favorites&list=FLWhaDGzuyQCZbNkZZeMquGQ

As I was watching this video and Fromm was saying that people who's sense of identity is based on being not having are free.. I thought no, they aren't ,  what if they're struck by a drone, or arrested without being charged of anything, or they're falsely charged with "aiding the enemy"?  We are loosing our basic freedoms.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:15:09 AM by juju »

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
Hi Juju,

I'm glad you like Joni's song :)  I have two other favourites by Joni Mitchell- a romantic one called River, and another about a parent watching their child grow up called The Circle Game.  They are equally riveting...but I digress...

I think the concept of left and right is outdated, we need another solution to our problems.  The biggest thread I perceive right now is of the powerful elites who are stopping the natural evolution (by censorship and surveillance, etc). If people is not free to think they can't come up with better alternatives to this system. (capitalist) Capitalism is self destructive by nature.. When will everyone wake up? Will it be too late? I can see little seeds of a new era being planted already but in order to have an effect everyone with a conscience must think of the repercussions of every choice made right now. Even when doing your groceries.

I agree with so much of what you say here...the personal is political.  It is pretty obvious that the powerful elites don't want the people to be free to think & to change a system that is designed to maintain elitist status & privilege.  And so the people are rising up!

Love the interview with Erich Fromm.  I have bought a few of his books, but haven't read them yet...so may books, so little time left after reading & posting on this forum ;)

Who can't wait to see JA interview the President of Tunisia, Moncef Marzouki?!
 Martin Luther King Jr.

julia

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
Next up Victor Correa. That should be interesting !!

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 16:33:30 PM »
Thank-you Julian for bringing together some of the people most invested in the Occupy Movement.  What a wonderful exchange between brilliant activists! 
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline MayorOfCydonia

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
What is the future of the world tommorrow if Julian Assange gets extradicted to Sweden? Does anyone know what's going to happend with it?

Offline Jerbar

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
There are 12 episodes total and they have all been taped already so as long as the editing has all been done- they should continue to be broadcasted until the end. I am sure JA was heavily involved in the editing and if that is being done right before each new episode is broadcast then there could be a delay if not cancel ???
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:50:21 AM by Jerbar »