Author Topic: Julian Assange on the Afghanistan war logs: 'They show the true nature of this w  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Bosnian Diamond

• New Member Group
Julian Assange on the Afghanistan war logs: 'They show the true nature of this war'

Offline Chrysamere

• Youtube Channel
Nice video. Thanks for sharing it to the community!
Free Julian Assange!

Offline waiburton

• New Member Group
Nice video. Thanks for sharing it to the community!
need more of this

Offline Erxaz

• Swedish Moderator
Thanks. Really interesting.

Offline catcher

There is another saying about the devil being in the detail. I am naturally curious enough to start ploughing through the Afghanistan papers. I guess I want to understand how war works. Does anyone have some useful tips or ideas how I should proceed? I expect that I will encounter unfamiliar jargon which I think can be found on the web. Do I just jump in or is there a more proven method? I have some abilities in deconstructing texts and while it appears easier to rely on someone else's analysis, I'd like to have a go at the primary sources myself.

The liberty of expressing and publishing opinions... being almost of as much importance as the liberty of thought itself, and resting in great part on the same reasons, is practically inseparable from it. John Stuart Mill,  "On Liberty"

Offline R

• Power of Ding!
Very Interesting Thanks
"One shall stand,One shall fall."

Offline Hawk D.

• Thats how big brothers see`s us.
Awsome video, thx for sharing m8! :) O:)
"The worlds most dangerous enemy is ignorance"
-Julian Assange

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "
Thomas Jefferson

"People should not be afraid of their governments governments should be afraid of their people

Offline NOTCOIN

• New Member Group
While I appreciate the insight into the "true nature of this war" as it is being revealed, I am more troubled by what is missing in the documents. The early massacre at Dasht-i-Leili of Taliban prisoners numbering in the thousands is not touched in these documents, as far as I can tell. Every source of information online has back pedalled, spun down or has lied about it from the beggining. The NY Times, for example, isn't sure if the numbers are in the hundreds or thousands. Neither is wikipedia. But CIA internal documents, released through FOIA, are clear: 1 to 2 thousand prisoners were killed as CIA personell stood by only yards from the murders. The killing ground could be seen by satellite.

The true nature of this war is far worse than these documents show. Kill Capture teams don't bother me. At least they are focused or targeting specific or small numbers of individuals. Mass killing, which certainly has happened and likely continues to happen in Afghanistan and Pakistan is very much more troubling to me. It's been going on in Afghanistan since before American troops arrived and will likely continue after Americans leave. One of the reasons why I am against US involvement there is that it is infectious. The conditions, attitudes and orientations that it takes to make a human being capable of such acts flourish in Afghanistan.

The Pakistani Army murders Balochis every day with impunity and no one says a word while our diplomats shovel money at sham politicians in Islamabad even as they are very much aware that real power is in the hands of the ISI. I might have missed something, but I didn't see that reflected in the documents. The US Congress is awash in Pakistani lobby money and favors as are a number of current and former State and CIA officials. Again, missing in the documents.

The entire region is so infested with mass evil that American misdeeds sometimes seem miniscule in comparison. Seen against a backdrop of mass graves, murder, and all the other common horrors that are fixed in South Asia historically, one may expect young Americans to become infected one way or another. The documents really only chronicle minor events and don't point at broader issues at all as far as I can tell. Sadly, the net effect is to trivialize what is going on or have no impact at all.

I have become a foot soldier on the Occupy DC movement.