Author Topic: What people searched for on Wikipedia 2010-12  (Read 813 times)

Green

What people searched for on Wikipedia 2010-12
« on: July 06, 2012, 15:44:58 PM »

What people searched for on Wikipedia 2010-12

Friday, July 6, 2012 at 7:52AM

Here's a list of the top 1000 searches on Wikipedia (there's no annotations, but it appears to be from 2010-12).

You should go and scan it. Commune with the hive mind here: Wikipedia article traffic statistics

Remarks:

I think it's odd that WikiLeaks and Julian Assange are two of the top searches. Hypothesis: journalists and people in government getting up to speed? Surely the civilians could care less. Unless the rape allegations made it juicy enough to seem like a good tabloid story.
    There are 9 instances of "Christmas". I think needing the lyrics of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" speaks for itself. The odious 1954 film "White Christmas" is a dark horse. The charming 1983 film "A Christmas Story" based on Jean Shepherd's In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, is nice to find here.
    The first TV show on the list is "Glee", which had already driven me from Leo Laporte's Twit.TV over to the geekier precincts of Dan Benjamin's 5by5. (Sorry, Leo and Gina).
    The first movie on the list is "Tron". Go figure. And "Tron Legacy" is the second one.
    Justin Bieber is the first pop star. Surprise.
    The United States is the first country on the list. USA!!! USA!!! The second one is Qatar. Hmm.
    I missed Boxing Day at #47 Santa Claus at #49. More Christmas.
    World War II is the first historical event to make the list, at #55, right behind the List of Glee Episodes, and just before Elizabeth Edwards (#56), who's followed by The Big Bang Theory (#57).
    Hitler, Stalin, FDR, and Churchill are all on the list. Hirohito, Mussolini and de Gaulle, not so much.
    John Lennon (#36) is there, but not Vladimir Lenin. Mao Tse Tung is not on the list.

Tell us what you find.

http://daniel-lieberman.com/blog/2012/7/6/what-people-searched-for-on-wikipedia-2010-12.html