Author Topic: Q & A with Julian?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline abbi

Q & A with Julian?
« on: April 12, 2011, 22:44:55 PM »
Maybe a Q & A where you have to pay a small fee to attend and get a chance to ask him a question in person? Surely there are enough supporters in the UK who could easily get there...

admin

Re: Q & A with Julian?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 23:23:04 PM »
you mean online chat where yout pay to talk with him ?

Offline abbi

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 00:15:05 AM »
that would be a possibility too. but i was thinking some kind of Q&A thing in person.

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 00:17:24 AM »
With all due respect to the proposer, this idea seems ridiculous to me and offensive to Julian himself. So ppl can pay Julian to have private chats with him and what if they are rude to him and ask him very personal stuff and Julian declines? Will they ask for a refund?

You could perhaps set fees for interviews with television channels or newspapers. Or a certain percentage of the revenues from the sale of magazines or newspapers that have the exclusivity of your material.
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline abbi

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 00:22:42 AM »
excuse me? it could still be moderated somehow. how on earth is this suggestion offensive to Julian?

Offline goodadvice

• New Member Group
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 00:35:28 AM »
First it let him look buyable. Secondly it set him on one level to the former province-primeminister of NRW (Germany) Jürgen Rüttgers (CDU) who has sold parts of his time to business owners. Thirdly it makes him look like a man who only speaks with people who can afford to pay him. Yes, I really think this to be an offense against him.

Offline abbi

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 00:37:39 AM »
well forget it then. it was just a suggestion to get money to support WL.

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 00:50:55 AM »
This is my personal opinion: but there's a difference in having interviewers pay and individuals pay to talk to him. In the first scenario there is ofc public demand but it would also be newsworthy for every newspaper to interview him about the latest releases, reasons behind it, his personal analysis etc. (since he is now a big shot in the political arena).

But talking to random people just because they payed a fee is:
1) he is too damn busy to talk with just anyone, and I am sure any admin who knows him can attest to that
2) it objectifies him, it makes him look like 'an attraction' that people have to pay for
3) those people might be people without a clue about anything, or heavily misinformed (which is due to their own negligence in gathering information).....and Julian would have to repeat or correct things that are already in the public domain (again huge waste of his time and nerve, for as much as I have read from him, he is not too fond of slow people)
4) what if they people are intrusive? what if they ask personal stuff and Julian declines? will they ask for a refund bc he didn't comply to their contract?
5) whatever analysis or opinion that Julian has about his work is published one way or another so again these interviews will be redundant and eat his precious time, they will be just to satisfy the curiosity of ppl to talk with a celebrity and one way or another hinder wl's and Julian's work.

This would be a huge money maker but the price to pay is Julian's time and, somewhat, his pride. He deserves to be excluded from such objectification.

You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline abbi

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »
my idea would be that the questions would be moderated. People wanting to attend would submit their questions ahead of time. He could then select the questions he felt best to answer and address the person directly at the q & a. There would also of course be a limit as to how many people could attend. I realize there is a bit of selling Julian in this, but my impression is that WL is really badly in need of funds. I think this could be handled in a way that doesn't really objectify him, but offers a connection to the general public (not media) but with quality content (not stupid intrusive questions). It could be a positive effect in the general public's impression of WL and Julian Assange. But like I said, it's only a suggestion. My intention is giving ideas to help generate more funds to support WL.

Offline Abi

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:19 AM »
I believe this idea has merit in that people are interested in what Julian has to say about certain issues, and not just Julian, but WL in general - where they stand on certain issues. 

It may not be a bad idea for a documentary like "Julian answers some hard questions" to give Julian and Wikileaks a platform for setting certain reports in context.  For example, that Wikileaks is a CIA patsy/test case. ;) :) ::) :-[ :-*

If the objective is to raise funds for WL, any objection to "defending/justifying oneself," or some other reason, may be overcome by the truth that not everyone is privileged with the intelligence/education/ability that Julian & Co may be blessed with, and some people, like me, like hearing simple answers to hard questions enunciated by people like Julian who have a gift of cutting through the confusion surrounding issues for those of us who are less gifted and less articulate.  Q&A is a great way to educate and inform if conducted honestly and responsibly.

I would not pay to talk to Julian online, but I would pay a subscription for a Q& A e-letter email

Offline qubit

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:06:08 AM »
Maybe you could incorporate a Kissing Stall as well to give it that carnival feel  :-*

Offline tabula rasa

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 00:05:37 AM »
Maybe you could incorporate a Kissing Stall as well to give it that carnival feel  :-*

OMG!!! PMSL picturing that!! I needed that laugh today  :o
There is a certain dramatic irony attached to all this. A synchronicity that borders on predestination, one might say.

Offline Frality

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 19:45:46 PM »

Less offensive than wasting the mans time.

+ He also gets a somewhat bad wrap because of his publicity making him look somewhat like an egomaniac. I personally do not believe this to be the case, but I know of others who strongly believe it to be so.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. " - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Olive

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 14:07:53 PM »
I think JA if he reads this and there's no reason why he shouldn't.... he may think it's not a bad idea

Why not a Q&A question to the general public who are willing to the pay for the online privilidge - some artists did it and they didn't even have to pay for it, they just submitted CD's and got someone to have late night chats to an apparent  insomniac and some guy who couldn't sleep either?

Why not ask personal questions, it is the "big Elephant" in this forum. He's knows it, we all do. He will say it's nonsense..... some might disagree - personally I think it's weird no one brings it up? why not? it's what's happening.

crap, about JA not answering stupid questions - have you heard some of the questions he's been asked and he's calm answering them!! seriously I would have well......

as for a kissing booth idea , may not be a good idea at this time though

I don't know JA but he comes accross as a very atriculate, intelligent, logical person who doesn't seem to shy away from uncomfortable questions, so why not ask him anything. He can always just not respond.

He's not a real celebrity you know, he hasn't to my knowledge appeared with Lindsay Lohan in a Murdoch Publication so no, he is an activist with a real message not a gossip column clone.

He is a real person who is fighting a very real battle on many fronts - he needs lawyers to do what he does, why would't he allow us to pay him to answer questions he knows we want him to answer - just the way it is, it may not be how he wants it or even us but hey if it helps, let's do it.

".. was the false image I unwittingly projected to the outside world; of being regarded as a saint. I never was one, even on the basis of an earthly definition of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying" Nelson Mandela pg. 410 "Conversations with Myself"

Offline abbi

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
Looks like Julian may have liked this idea after all  :)

Lunch with Assange and Žižek to benefit WikiLeaks £350.00
100% of the final sale price will support WikiLeaks.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lunch+assange&_sacat=See-All-Categories