Author Topic: Beating the banking blockade through the creation of a charity  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Taking the Fifth

Beating the banking blockade through the creation of a charity
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »
It just suddenly occurred to me that the banking blockade on WikiLeaks could be beaten if tackled vicariously through an independent charity - one we could set up, and one that could receive donations from all over the world and then pass them on to WikiLeaks, without PayPal or Visa sticking their noses into the situation.
       It only takes - I think - three people to form the committee of a new (British) charity in order for it to be legally credible. Obviously, we wouldn't link it exclusively to WikiLeaks; we could tell the world it helps "support journalistic freedoms" or something like that which isn't too specific. Supporters of WikiLeaks would know about the charity and could donate to it freely, whereupon its main operators could pass the money raised on without incurring difficulties due to the current anti-WikiLeaks banking blockade.
      Also, to further remove the charity from being purely another incarnation of WikiLeaks (more likely to be targeted by another banking blockade), the money raised could be split amongst the main organisation itself, plus other similar causes (the Bradley Manning defence fund, etc.) We could even potentially offer donators a choice of which organisation they wish to donate to, from a selection of similarly pro-transparency organisations.
     Looking forward to some feedback - I hope this was / is helpful.
Cheers  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:51:36 AM by Taking the Fifth »
"All great truths begin as blasphemies" - George Bernhard Shaw

Offline leakingnow

Re: Beating the banking blockade through the creation of a charity
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »
The govt will try to disqualify such orgs as being illegal and shut it down. Anyone who goes against the govt so-called 'whoever is in power' will have a rough ride.  During colonial times, we would massacred the ppl who go against us.
Today we would arrest them and brand them as rebels, troublemakers,etc. In some countries, like Syria we just killed em all. The truth  is difficult to take and the ppl behind it don't like their misdeeds to be made known.

enrica

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 21:11:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this beautiful idea Taking the Fifth

Flavia

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 22:41:23 PM »
I guess the creation of a charity would allow the organization to receive donations even via sms (today I sent 2 euros via sms to FAI, which is the fund for the protection of the environment in Italy). I'm still persuaded that it would be the best way of financing the cause.

Offline Fourpie

• New Member Group
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 20:10:48 PM »
The charity approach is a very good idea, if the financial side of it can stay on the right side of the law. The cost of bank transfers (which avoids Paypal, Visa & Mastercard) is £25 per transaction in the UK. The charity could collect everybody's £10 & £20, then pay a share the £25 from amongst all donors, so that the transaction fee becomes bearable.
People would
a) have to get to know about it
b) have to trust that the charity would do as it said on the packet and not use their money for other things (mission creep).

Offline I-own-My-mind

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »
It's a great idea, here is a criteria in the U.K     http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/Charitiesandcommunitygroups/DG_066666 

It might be wise to find out what the criteria is for each individual country before rushing into it, i do understand that time is critical,but to make sure everything is in place to succeed. If the Gov'ts suspected that wikileaks was involved in any way.....
Freedom of Speech IS a Birthright, NOT a Priviledge.

I may disapprove of what you say,but i'll Defend your Right to say it.