Author Topic: Wikileaks Fundraising idea's  (Read 9535 times)

Noillusions

Wikileaks Fundraising idea's
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »
1.you could raise money ask people to give money like the website EpicStep.com :http://epicstep.com/
and make a goal like 200,000 or 10,000 and charge people after lets's say 30 days.like a fundraiser every month.
but you dont  get charged until the goal is met.People would trust that.

2.or you could make your merchandise really cheap like 10$ a shirt and promote it more.

3.you guys could get with Micheal Moore and create some kind of publicity for a documentary of interviews of people around the world expressing there love and believe in wik leaks.and stream it online for a dollar to watch.

4.or you could put all the previously released documents in a book and sale it. for like 10 to 15 dollars. you could have books come out every month of cables to different demographics. like each country like "iraq book" or" china book".

5. and last you could raise money from the people for a commercial and get it aired somewhere in the world. it would go viral. and people would give money to help democracy in wikileaks.Even on youtube.

hope that helped

;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:23:25 AM by Noillusions »

Offline el

• New Member Group
Re: Wikileaks Fundraising idea's
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 17:06:45 PM »
Sell lapel pins for $10. @.

An artist can do them up for you - for free. Submit to any pin manufacturer - something in hard enamel, diestruck or diecast.

Lots of profit there - minimal workload for volunteers, doesn't take up a lot of space and can be mailed cheaply.

The pin is cheap enough that people can afford it.
Also a subtle bit of support for Wiki when wearing it.

Great value and profit of over 50%

Z

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 17:29:41 PM »
thanx El......sending the idea off for review;-)

Offline imrankhan

• New Member Group
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »

I definitely support the true purpose and mission of Wikileaks. I think citizens all over the world regard wikileaks as best possible way of knowing the truth rather discovering secrets.  Wikileaks could raise funds through following ways :

1) Raise funds through supporters of wikileaks - make contribution the cause
 2) organizations and institutions who believe in existence of wikileaks and their mission in the world
 3) Non-governmental organizations

Noillusions

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »
thanx El......sending the idea off for review;-)
was my idea used??...i mean you guys made a commercial!!???? and was mine reviewed ??? i mean how do you even know if you've used an idea!!! just asking ... i totally put the commercial idea up here?????

Offline Shoadi

• New Member Group
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 16:01:26 PM »
I think the main-purpose of wikileaks is sharing information - so wikileaks shouldnt build its label threw merch-stuff like t-shirts, coffee-cups etc. Wikileaks should bring a change in the direction of free ( - doesnt mean cost-free) journalism.
I think a monthly wikileaks-magacine or wikileaks-newspaper (in printed form) could bring some money to wikileaks and information to the people.
I think the world could need some alternative information not just on the internet, but even as prints in physical form (and in my experience the average system-inhabitant trusts more in physical-information than in something read on the internet).

Wikileaks could give people the tools, that they can easily tell, what they are really intrested in (Like a online voting for the most interesting topics or with personal newspaper-profiles.). It could give the tools, to share information easily (like a journalism-plattform where people could share their articles).

But i think the only way wikileaks should earn money is selling information in physical form....

Offline nwovswiki

• New Member Group
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 20:34:22 PM »
Establish Fundraising committee in every country

1. Run a lottery in every country for short term support and financing of a revolutionary venture.

2. Create a not for profit Wikileak Union/Bank to process payments from Wikileaks supporters

3.  Create a not for profit Wikileak credit card channelling its payments through the Wikileak Bank.

This approach is simple and yet direct, it accomplishes two goals - provide a genuine alternative to the predatory and abusive status quo,  secondly provide a secure revenue stream outside the direct control of the banks in anyone country  and the VISA/MASTERCARD duopoly.

Wikileaks is a philosophy and a movement as well as an unconventional news agency.  I think it is entirely appropriate to fight fire with fire by selling merchandise on the Wikileak brand.  Anything to get the truth out I would unashamedly buy Wikileak underpants and matching socks if it got the job done.

Get on to the front foot and think big, get on to the attack, have confidence in yourselves and others will have confidence in you.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 20:36:01 PM by nwovswiki »

Angelina

Re: Wikileaks Fundraising ideas
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 20:45:45 PM »
I don't see why (unless I am missing something obvious) you can't use Ebay to sell just about anything cheap and easy to send  - photos, docs etc - but make it clear it's a fundraiser and sell them at ridiculous prices.   If the reports are true that in the brief time Visa let down its guard and donations were allowed the money flooded in, then supporters would surely jump at the chance, especially if it meant sticking two fingers up at Paypal as well.

I also wonder if supporters could donate a small amount per month, every month, by direct debit.  6,000 members on here @ £2 per month = £12,000 per month....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 20:31:15 PM by Angelina »

Offline sedufia

• New Member Group
  • like the wind
    • GlozzBey
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
I propose a photo contest, with Wikileaks store merchandise.
For example, if someone wanted to participate they would have to own or use official Wikileaks merchandise. Then take the most creative photo they can think up using the merchandise and submit it via email. There could be multiple contests for each country held monthly, with the winners being showcased as the Wikileaks facebook main picture or someplace equally as popular like some ultra cool media partners  ;)
“Time is a factory where everyone slaves away earning enough love to break their own chains.”
Haviz

Offline throwaway

• New Member Group
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 15:16:42 PM »
Sell JA halloween costumes like: Julian Assange and Bradley Manning

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
Put "THOSE" socks behind glass and auction them with a little authenticity certificate.
This thought made me laugh at first but I reckon someone would actually buy them.. and it might piss their previous owner off as a bonus.

Let them bidding begin!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 16:10:32 PM by Symmetry »
Without action good ideas are wasted electricity.

Offline sna

• New Member Group
Favor: Wikileaks Fundraising idea
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 15:06:51 PM »
I really really suggest you to go and see this trailer video about Favor internet service (new one, from Lapland): http://favorcompany.favor.org/trailer/
It's about combining free sharing and how does artists make their living.
WikiLeaks could also use this. It's free to use and free to share, but viewers can pay if they want, how mutch they want. If paying, can use the commenting space.
In many ways it is matching your ideology, I think.
It's really something new! Some new angle to approach the whole web2.0 system!

-sna

julia

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 16:55:44 PM »
I was thinking that people would maybe buy a sort of wikileaks journal in a book format. People is interested in personal stories, behind the scenes stuff.  The book could be written by wikileaks staffers and they could talk about how they work, what do they go through, their daily lives, what kind of challenges they face, etc anything that would give a feel of their lives without revealing anything personal.
The book could be also about other things, not behind the scenes but for example the history of the organization.

Flavia

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
@juju
I agree with you. A WikiLeaks Journal is a good idea, as it would be a NewsLetter...people might subscribe to it paying an annual fee.

Offline Signhilde

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 13:48:15 PM »
Good idea! And all these speeches hold by JA should be used. Or put them together in a book. ;)