Author Topic: Donation via SMS  (Read 4115 times)

Flavia

Donation via SMS
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
The best way, in my opinion, would be a donation via SMS (in Italy this is the most popular donation system). You send an SMS and the recipient will get 1-2 euro for each one (imagine 1.000.000 sms!).

In the link below you can find the instructions for this kind of fundraising (WL must register as non-profit organization)
http://www.mgive.com/

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
Re: Donation via SMS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 14:01:20 PM »
yes, this would be so convenient.
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Flavia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 14:21:23 PM »
 :)
Convenient and easy. But I'm wondering why nobody thought of this before  ???

Offline C

• Panoplia Propheticus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 14:28:09 PM »
non profit organization under 501(c)(10)

[A] new category of exemption for fraternal beneficiary associations is set forth which applies to fraternal organizations operating under the lodge system where the fraternal activities are exclusively religious, charitable, or educational in nature and no insurance is provided for the members. The committee believes that it is appropriate to provide a separate exempt category for those fraternal beneficiary associations (such as the Masons) which do not provide insurance for their members. This more properly describes the different types of fraternal associations. S. Rep. No. 552, 91st Cong., 1st Sess. 72 (1969).
Basic Requirements Under IRC 501(c)(10)
In its current form, IRC 501(c)(10) describes domestic fraternal societies, orders, or associations that:

Operate under the lodge system,

Devote their net earnings exclusively to religious, charitable, scientific, literary, educational, and fraternal purposes, and

Do not provide for the payment of life, sick, accident, or other benefits.

source

sadly I doubt that would work :(
Communication is life, lying is art, deflection is business, detection is skill.

enrica

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 14:30:50 PM »
Yes, good idea!

Please wl, give us this opportunity: it would be quick and easy to practice, even for people that can't donate by internet, and for who is "not so rich".

Consider also that not joung persons, or not rich persons, or ...etc. often don't have the opportunity to donate by internet, but of course they have a telephone and they know how to use it.

May be the problem would be with telephonic companies: if they allow a similar kind of donation to an organization like wl, or not. It's for truth: a good thing. I hope they will.

If not, we have to find another way to donate by sms, exactly like the t-shirts: you officially pay to buy a t-shirt, not "to donate to wl". And nobody can stop me if I want to buy my t-shirt.
So if ex. your card doesn't works to donate to wl because "your bank doesn't like it", it must work to buy the t-shrt. You are buying a t-shirt, your own personal t-shirt: nobody can stop anyone in doing this.

The same could be with sms: not to donate directly to wl, but to help... "the brillant truth". I'm shaping the first name that is coming in my mind in this moment, to explain the idea.
I mean if someone doesn't allow persons to donate to wl, we can also bulit other "organizations" related to wl to do that.
So the donation is not officially for wl, but concretely it is.
I hope I'm explaining clearly.

I think dontion via sms would be the easy thing to do, and this would be available for everyone.

Flavia

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 16:54:52 PM »
@crnobela
If WL isn't a non profit-organization, what is it?
Assange says it is.
Anyway, as to the sms donation system I think  the only thing to do is asking a lawyer.

sokol

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 18:43:36 PM »
This would be the most convenient way to donate actually, I am confident that most of us have a mobile phone and most of us could spare a couple of Euros every little while and the occassional friend to send an SMS.

Voda

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
I know I will do it
it is the easiest way.
if could be possible for us in no european countries (not in EU) will be nice
 ;)

enrica

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
@Voda -is it not possible in other countries? I didn't know it.

Voda

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 14:29:01 PM »
well it is possible, but it could be more complicated in "other" countries.
here what happened: I am living in country which is not part of EU. when I order T-shirts delivery was not possible. luckily I have adress in country which is part EU, so my T-shirts arrived there.
I found solution, but it could be that some ppl would like to help or donate but can not do it because they are not in EU or in USA. donation must be possible on global level. I know sometimes it is not easy to organise because countries out of network have diffrent rules.
it will be nice to send donation via SMS from my home in no EU country. but if it will not be possible, I will send SMS from my other home in EU (where I am using EU mobile network). question is how many ppl have such posibility? WL works global and donation should be global. of course, if it is possible.  ;)

Flavia

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 14:56:50 PM »
OK Water  :) , the sms-donation-system doesn't work everywhere but it would be a relief for WL if it could collect money at least from EU and USA .
Believe me, the sooner WL tries to know if this system is possible, the better.
The money Assange can earn taking part to conferences and debates (no private chat on demand, please!) are not enough (moreover, he needs a lot of money to pay his legal team).

Offline R

• Power of Ding!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 21:01:37 PM »
what if a member donates 1$/1Rs/1Euro/1 Pound per day directly to a bank account to Wikileaks where there are more than 15,000 members. choosing global bank will be good.

something like that can make a big change.
"One shall stand,One shall fall."