Author Topic: My ideas for fundraising as follows  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Bb

My ideas for fundraising as follows
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:33:29 AM »
I vote for fundraiser dinners. I could possibly do some in the States with the angle of Freedom of Speech and whistle blower protection themes. I also like the idea of prerecorded speech from Assange or another member that would open up discourse about the event amongst attendees.

Being a soon to be journalism grad AND a chef, I could pull it off with the  price of admission being a  donation towards Wikileaks. Not a totally original idea, but a tried and true method. Message me if there is a legitimate interest.

Plus maybe wikileaks merch could be sold at these events?

I'm also a musician and there would be bands that could get behind this cause to play as part of a separate or all inclusive charity event towards Wikileaks . The event would continue stressing the idea of free speech, government transparency, and the need to protect whistle blowers given my country, USA's , terrible stunts that remind myself and the older members of my family of Mcarthy-ism and communist witch hunts.

All preaching aside: I have the skills , with a few other chefs , to pull off the dinner. I have the journalism experience to get the word out in my area. I also have the networking and ability as a musician, playing in a band now, to organize said event with bands.
I want to do something meaningful towards this cause. I'm not a flaky zealot just sincere.

Offline Bb

Re: My ideas for fundraising as follows
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:40 AM »
Okay I have another idea and from the looks of it, I've got about 32 hits which isn't shite but:
Has anyone looked at Al Jazeera's "Stream" newscast? Three guys with chats via skype from people all over the globe on current topics with newsworthy information and discourse.
What if Wikileaks was able to do that? Small budget, small , small. I for one would volunteer to be a journalist on that . Anyway, they have the live streamed show, skype talks, and have a live twitter feed (really tweetdeck it looks like) on the back screen while the show is in progress. People type in their relative thoughts, ideas, and informative links that sometimes get singled out and discussed on the show. How is Al Jazeera making money from this? I have my own thoughts and I imagine we could do the same with a WL's cast of the same caliber. It could be around whistleblowing, it could be around citizen type journalism where citizen's in Syria, Yemen, etc. are skyping in with what is going on -keeping to the foundations of raw footage, raw images, and raw data that the public can draw their own conclusions from.
The cost would be minimal , probably two cameras, funding the staff at some small amount , and including the social media dynamic the byproducts would be where the fundraising money would come from. The pop phenom of JA and this movement would help propel the traffic. Anyone care to chime in on that ? Hoi?
Something more than nothing? I say go big with idea or go home. Small little fundraisers won't satisfy what this needs to be . Anyone?

Offline Nina

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:03 AM »
I've been thinking of something similar, will write it down later.

Offline Olive

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 13:47:41 PM »
How about Julian signs a few of his photos (poster size) and sells them?  There would be people who would see it as a collectors item. I'm thinking of the photo that the Times published with him on the front cover and the American flag over his mouth - if he signed that one.

Even design a Wikileaks cocktail (have a compititon) - then have a Wikileaks cocktail party at a pub/nightclub where part proceeds go to wikileaks (you could organise that it happens all over the world) - like the worldwide garage sale that just happened. People sign up on line to host a wikileaks cocktail party serving the winning cocktail and ask for a donation to go to Wikileaks 
".. was the false image I unwittingly projected to the outside world; of being regarded as a saint. I never was one, even on the basis of an earthly definition of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying" Nelson Mandela pg. 410 "Conversations with Myself"

Offline Bb

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 17:52:43 PM »
What would be a good original cocktail that would represent Wikileaks?
A martini would be too old school and something overly complex may seem too stupid and pathetic so?
This could be incorporated into an event that has an inclusive dinner, bands, and merch. I am still brainstorming on what the BIG money maker would be. It needs to be simple, something that doesn't require a lot of intrusive participation by the lazy masses. Although , those that support WL's would need to be marketed a different way too. Between the event (along with your photo idea) with merch, a news or webcast/podcast service-what would intrigue the Hacking community and the digital savvy?
That's where I'm at next.

Offline Bb

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:24:10 AM »
Anyone steal this idea and youre dead meat!  ;D

Offline Bb

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
I would like to add to the Stream idea of WLs as a webcast,podcast,etc.
The ability to sell copyrights to the large media news agencies would still be a possibility. There would still have to be a coordination between them and WLs in regards to orchestrating their release and who gets the exclusivity if that is even still an option at this point.
 Why allow just the news agencies the ability to report on OUR material and our content? Sure they can help provide context, fact check , and interviews with a trained staff. Doesn't WLs have that same option? I am a qualified journalist. I understand content management systems and reporting under a code of ethics. Big agencies can help with parsing the overwhelming amount of information here at WLs I understand that. The advantage for us for WLs ? We make additional money off of presenting the material ourselves in a format I suggested , moreover, we would be protected under the shield law for journalists. That protection would not only validate us amongst the naysayers and witch hunters but bring about the new age of journalism we know is already here in its infancy.
This is one of the foundations of WLs I believe and is its unique social utility. The digital age where the power is in our hands , the voices of the people will be heard, seen, decrypted and watched across the world in seconds of being released. We will finally be free of the  tyranny of big business and big government without gatekeepers and the self-evident freedoms will be not be tainted by any agenda.

Offline Bb

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:39 AM »
Anyone have anything to add?

geeklady

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 18:50:59 PM »
I have read some interesting things here to raise funds, however, I think it's possible to do things without the need for intervention by Mr JA, because I think he must be pretty busy and do not have much time
 I have had an occurrence that perhaps most of you seems impossible, but I assure you do not need a big budget, it is the following: make a musical about the phenomenon WL, music is the most powerful way that exists to communicate ideas and reach people, I could even write the script, since I have almost finished the argument

Offline R

• Power of Ding!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 21:18:25 PM »
we can make franchise on behalf of Wikileaks and sale merchandise in malls and shops.
"One shall stand,One shall fall."

themillieblog

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:52:30 AM »
we can make franchise on behalf of Wikileaks and sale merchandise in malls and shops.

Omg YES I was thinking about this too. I would love to wear Wikileaks shirts. I would buy it and think many others would as well.

themillieblog

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »
Well I just saw the link to the Shop above so I am getting myself a wikishirt!
 ;D