Author Topic: UK issued a travel warning against Ecuador...  (Read 1097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
UK issued a travel warning against Ecuador...
« on: August 25, 2012, 16:09:54 PM »
The UK has issued a travel warning against Ecuador due to the demonstrations in support of Julian Assange.

Read More in "This Day in Wikileaks:


South America and South Atlantic Islands


Still current at: 25 August 2012
Updated: 20 August 2012


    In view of recent demonstrations (August) outside the British Embassy Quito, and the British Honorary Consulate, Guayaquil related to the Assange case, British Nationals should exercise caution, avoid gatherings and carry ID at all times. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent.  Large crowds should be avoided. Foreigners participating in political demonstrations or protests of any kind may be subject to arrest and deportation under Ecuadorian law.

    We advise against all travel to the areas immediately bordering Colombia in Carchi province (except the town of Tulcan) and the town of San Lorenzo located in the north of the province of Esmeraldas. See Safety and Security - Local Travel.

    The Ecuadorian Control Risk submitted an orange alert for the areas surrounding the Tungurahua volcano on 18 August 2012 due to renewed volcanic activity. See Natural Disasters - Volcanoes - Tungurahua.

    We advise against attempting to climb the Reventador and Sangay volcanoes due to renewed volcanic activity. See Natural Disasters - Volcanoes - Reventador and Sangay.

    A state of emergency remains in place in Quito mainly to facilitate the work and protection of the National Assembly and Government Palace, following strike action in September 2010.

    Around 24,300 British nationals visited Ecuador in 2011 (Source: Ecuadorian Immigration Police Records). See General - Consular Assistance Statistics. See also Crime.

    There is a low threat from terrorism, but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public areas, including places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

    You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. See General - Insurance.


Read More: