Author Topic: WikiLeaks launching a US Federal election related campaign?  (Read 9376 times)

Offline Pond

Re: WikiLeaks launching a US Federal election related campaign?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
@Signhilde Bingo! You couldn't express it better^^ Thanks!

This campaign makes even me sad. I have allways looked upon the election day as a festival day. To work for high participation in the election has allways been important. And now this denial... If we believe in Democracy we should ask people to vote. If I had a chance I would support president Obama. He has made mistakes, he has met confrontation. Still I like him and important would be to help him get friends i Congress.
I wonder sometimes if WL is a democratic organisation (sorry). Wikileaks-forum is a good thing anyway!
2014 will we have elections in Sweden, will WL take part? :-\

---

I also am now seriously worried -more than before- for Julian Assange's life, and also for Bradley Manning's life and situation.

WikiLeaks has always been defended by its journalistic neutrality, by the freedom of press right dued to whatever journalist. Julian Assange as a journalist that doesn't take part to the political scene, had all his rights of publisher intacts.
But now ???

I've joked about "mr charisma", but I'm serously worried that after this last move he can loose the protection his previous neutrality had given him.

And I'm also angry with "mr charisma" decision of deliberately strongly provocating the US because there is Manning's trial going on in this moment and the charges against him are cooperating with the enemy! Wth poor Manning, if the organization he has cooperated with now attacks the US elections with a provocation isn't he more at risk of being condemned to life inprisonment?

Julian is putting his own situation more at risk than before, and also the WL Organization staff and connected people at risk, by provocating the US that way... I guess...

Keep leaking only and defending instead of attacking, please!!!

worried... baah!  ::) paranoia ::)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:29:18 AM by TheHamster »

Offline sheaton

• New Member Group
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 19:54:33 PM »
2 days later and the WikiLeaks " election campaign " seems to be dead before it ever got off the ground. I don't see any tweets from WikiLeaks or hardcore WikiLeaks fans, all I see is one big miserably failed PR campaign. I am willing to bet that not one WikiLeaks "supporter" has ripped out his/her credit cards to stuff even more money into Assanges pockets. Yes, it has gone awefully quite in the "twittersphere" and when the campaign to boycott the election ( whatever that implies ) has "officially ended", it will go down in history as nothing more than a shit stain on WIkiLeaks reputation as a " has been whistlblowing platform "

What in the hell was Assange thinking by trying to deny US citizens their democratic right to vote his/her own government ? For what reason does WikiLeaks need money....for what ?

I seriously think this stupid campaign is nothing but a desperate, last ditch attempt to decive supporters into paying WikiLeaks money for doing NOTHING, and I say NOTHING as WikiLeaks is doing NOTHING to promote whistleblowing...............we are all still waiting for the promised submission system. Where is it ?

To sum it up: " my name is Julian Assange and I want your money now and you will get nothng in return "

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 00:03:45 AM »
WikiLeaks launches 2012 presidential election intervention
By DJ Pangburn 4 hours ago
Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are both raising insane amounts of money as their respective party’s candidates in the 2012 election, but they’re not the only ones asking for cash. WikiLeaks has launched Vote WikiLeaks: 2012 Donation Campaign, in the hopes of raising funds for their free information efforts.
Citing comments made by Pentagon spokesman George Little, asking WikiLeaks to destroy its publications and warning them against “soliciting” material from U.S. military whistleblowers, WikiLeaks did the opposite. In response to Little’s demands, WikiLeaks has “decided to intervene in the U.S. election campaign.”
“The United States government claims Mr Assange and the WikiLeaks organization are within its jurisdiction,” says WikiLeaks. “In reply, we place the Obama administration within our jurisdiction. All American school children are taught that being subject to laws without representation is an injustice. This is the backbone of the American Revolution.”
WikiLeaks adds, “We claim our representation and now initiate a campaign to transform Democratic and Republican votes into economic and political support for WikiLeaks and its First Amendment values. This election day, do not vote for the Republican or Democratic parties. Instead, cast the only vote that matters. Vote with your wallet – vote for WikiLeaks.”
WikiLeaks called out Obama’s democratic government for not opening government up enough, accusing the country of hurtling “toward dystopia.”
According to WikiLeaks, the U.S. government is “building a state within a state, placing nearly five million Americans under the national security clearance system. It has classified more documents than any previous administration, classifying even the process used to decide who will live and who will be killed.”
“Government agencies and corporations know that knowledge is power. That is why they spend literally billions to keep their plans and actions secret from all of us,” adds WikiLeaks. “They know that together we can force them to act differently.” They cite the leaked WikiLeaks documents as the catalyst for the U.S. leaving Iraq, not any real decision on the part of the Obama administration.
That’s debatable, of course, but certainly WikiLeaks leaked documents, detailing war atrocities, especially on Iraqi civilians, helped. At any rate, WikiLeaks is asking for donations to keep up its free information work. Head over to the website for more information.

the link: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/189414/wikileaks-launches-2012-presidential-election-intervention/
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 00:12:56 AM »
I posted my prior comment to be able to point out these quotes...

"This election day, do not vote for the Republican or Democratic parties. Instead, cast the only vote that matters. Vote with your wallet – vote for WikiLeaks.”

and this

"now initiate a campaign to transform Democratic and Republican votes into economic and political support for WikiLeaks"

Yep that says it all...   so the idea would be to silence other voices only to create more voices for WikiLeaks in the end, with the promise that WikiLeaks will deliver more "representation" of the American people by a their organization? I seriously doubt that is going to get people to go into debt to save them. The majority of the American public do not think about WikiLeaks, yes some do- but it is not as wide spread as WikiLeaks seems to assume here. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 00:15:47 AM by Riney »
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear

Offline Pond

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 15:24:27 PM »
“We claim our representation and now initiate a campaign to transform Democratic and Republican votes into economic and political support for WikiLeaks and its First Amendment values. This election day, do not vote for the Republican or Democratic parties. Instead, cast the only vote that matters. Vote with your wallet – vote for WikiLeaks.”

1. "economic and political support for WikiLeaks" ???

Since when WikiLeaks is a Political thing ?!

2. No-profit = not for profit ... If the supporters aren't donating even after the end of the financial blockade and even if WL has asked for money after its end... there's no need to "force" anyone's election to rise money - the supporter's wallets are may be not that full in this moment - WL has just to wait a bit more and tell the truth "we have no money to do ... what we had projected".

3. No idea of what the money is for - No idea - that I know JA and BM defence fund are separated stuff, correct? So the money should be for WL... the organization...
The submission system may be... Other leaks?

Erhmm... a question rising in my mind now: don't they have some Volounteer Geek that NO-profit works for WL-org.? Just a thing I was wondering... But I'm too ignorant in computers/security on internet stuff to understand if this is possible. I was just wondering this because in another no-profit org I've seen 2 hospitals and FreeCleanWater for an entire area rising up without pushing anyone to donate... So I was wondering if who has the skills could work for WL, seen the apparent difficult moment...

Offline Signhilde

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 16:55:21 PM »
Thank you, Hamster and others. It is a lot that I can not understand. I can never foresee what new step MR Assange is to take.  It is good with a discussion.
1. "economic and political support for WikiLeaks" ???
Since when WikiLeaks is a Political thing ?!
Wikileaks is a Political thing, stands for political ideas! But that is not the same as party politics.
2. No-profit = not for profit
I really hope that supporters will continue to support WL, that WL can continue it´s work.
3. No idea of what the money is for - No idea - that I know JA and BM defence fund are separated stuff, correct?
This is what the campaign says:
"If you wish to contribute to Julian Assange’s legal defence costs, you can still use your credit card but you will need to make a separate donation to the Julian Assange and WikiLeaks Staff Defence Fund, administered and audited by Derek Rothera & Co. Full details are on our donate page. You can also donate to the Bradley Manning Defense Fund from our site."

What I would like to see done: Examine all candidats to the Congress, see who has the same ideas as WL. Support them - in words. Tell WL supporters to vote for the right persons! And still I think Obama is the right person, but now he needs some encouragement. He will need WL supporters. Just as we could see it from this side of the Atlantic.

Offline Pond

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 18:10:19 PM »
I still seriously think that WL shouldn't show political faces to remain "journalism" ...

Signhilde thanks for your views: they are making me reflect...

Now I have a new "rant" on this donations campaign: I can't read the Cables!!! >:(

I sometimes like reading the WL documents to find info. about facts I'm interested in.
Before the WL donations/election campaign started each time I opened a WL document on the WL site, it used to appear another donations link that I could easily close with a click of the mouse; but Now, I don't know if this depends on my old slow computer or not, Each Single Blessed Time I open a Whatever WikiLeaks document on the original page, the Video of the "elections campaign" pops Up!!!
Check---> http://wikileaks.org/cable/2010/02/10GENEVA249.html ( a whatever wl cable)
As my computer is slow and old it goes completely in block.
I've been talking with other supporters and they seem to have the same problem.

And the second thing that doesn't sound good to me is that watching the Obama video before a cable makes WL seem just anti-American, when of course it is not.

:P

Offline Irien

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 21:31:24 PM »
Hamster, disable Javascript, and the pop up will desapear.

I have tried that just now (I am on Tor) and with javascript authorized for WL site, I have the pop up. If Javascript is not authorized, I have not.

Ahem...somebody should report them the problem, non?

Edit: It works also with a "usual" Firefox (while not using Tor) The button to disable Javascript is in Firefox/ Outils/ Options/ Contenu.

Sorry, mine is in french....It means tools/ options/ contents (more or less)  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 22:03:12 PM by Irien »

enrica

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »
Hamster, disable Javascript, and the pop up will desapear.

I have tried that just now (I am on Tor) and with javascript authorized for WL site, I have the pop up. If Javascript is not authorized, I have not.

Ahem...somebody should report them the problem, non?

Edit: It works also with a "usual" Firefox (while not using Tor) The button to disable Javascript is in Firefox/ Outils/ Options/ Contenu.

Sorry, mine is in french....It means tools/ options/ contents (more or less)  :)

Thanks for the Suggestion Irien! I think it will be very helpful because I've noticed a Lot of persons have the same problem with the donations video.

Firefox / Tools / Options / Content. Great! Thank you Irien!  <3

Offline mabs01

• :) wikivist
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 03:26:59 AM »
The red wall needs to leave, or at least have the exit button!
Mabs

enrica

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
Just for info.. Desabling Javascript will stop the video from popping up but it needs to be reactivated after, to have all the computer's functions working well - It's a temporary solution :)

Mabs' yeah can be a good suggestion to put an exit button on the video, so one can close it with a click and read the documents withiut desabling javascript.

I remember in the donations pop up there was before, there was a close "X" button on the screen. Adding it can be the solution.

TrxiZ

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 22:02:08 PM »
WikiLeaks does not care about his followers it seems to me. I am workin in the IT area if I tell my 10000 customers to disable Java Script, 9999 will ask me "what is this" "how can I do this" ?

If WikiLeaks tells hes followers, friends and supporters to disable Java Script they should put a manual online how to do this...

It is also a shame for people that already donated to WikiLeaks - I do not go confim with this campaign. A lot of People asking "why" ? and the WikiLeaks Respond is nothing, none, there are a lot other ways to get donations with an red link above the website or on the side where you can check all releases - so people has the chance to read this "USA Election" related Leaks...

You can not change anything if you do "censor" this in anyway - also there a lot people out there WITHOUT 5$ to spend because they has to feed 4 children and no Job - this are the ones THAT need WikiLeaks the most! This are the people that has no own Voice they need US (wikileaks and supporters) to speak for them.

They do not has the chance to get informations, because they has not much money - or living in a country they has NO CHANCE to donate, like syria...

think about this !

enrica

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 15:03:30 PM »
Wasn't the "elections [donations] campaign" going to end after the US elections?  ::)

... The video is still there in each wikileaks' original document, a part from the detainee policies files...

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 15:17:27 PM »
Yes, when it was initially launched it was said that it was going to continue through to the elections, I have heard that the screens are more sporadic now though, like they come and go.  :-\

enrica

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 18:11:36 PM »
Mmh... For me the screens are always there if I don't desable that javascript...

They should at least change the video with a "WikiLeaks Christmas items campaign" at least ... Lol with a red and green donations screen and wikileaks Xmas music on the new video ;D Kidding