Author Topic: A movie uses WL as an element of its plot: Does it mean things about its impact?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Irien

Via Twitter, I hear that a movie uses WL in its plot.

http://collider.com/red-2-sequel-lorenzo-di-bonaventura-interview/208988/

The movie is named RED 2 (there is a Red 1) and is apparently a spy movie. In the plot, the heroes have to investigate about some secret organization, and they have to do that "because of a WikiLeaks release".

I don't know if the movie is good or not, but I feel very very interesting that WL appears in a movie plot.
For me in terms of impact, it means something (if that appearance is a good thing or no in the plot is not  a problem): It could mean that now, WL has became something which is known and shared by everybody, not only geeks or human rights activists,  it is in the background of our society, it exists as an element of the world, and it is normal to refer to it. So it becomes a tool ,can be used in art, and here in movies, like an usual thing of our world, by non supporters, only for the purpose of making a plot more realistic or interesting.

I think it is a good thing: WL is here, lives, and as every living thing, is used in ways that we would not have expected.

What do you think? is it completely stupid?

(I hope you understand, it was not easy to explain)

I.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:53:36 AM by Irien »

Offline EmmanuelGoldstein⌛

At first, when I read in the interview that the fictional leak on WL in the movie "puts the characters in danger" or something, I thought "oh no, what if it aims to make WL look bad?". But as I kept reading the interview, I inferred instead that in a way it seems like it is a good thing for the characters, because they are warned about the danger, and so it actually helps them; that's what it seems like to me, and of course I hope I'm right :P.

"It could mean that now, WL has became something which is known and shared by everybody, not only geeks or human rights activists,  it is in the background of our society, it exists as an element of the world, and it is normal to refer to it."

I totally agree with you, Irien! I love what you said there, about how it is something that is a part of people's lives today, as it is indeed a force for all people and not just "geeks" or "activists"! :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:19:53 AM by EmmanuelGoldstein »
"The Brotherhood cannot be wiped out because it is not an organisation in the ordinary sense. Nothing holds it together except an idea which is indestructible." -1984

I am not "Emmanuel Goldstein" of the magazine 2600. My username is derived from 1984.