Author Topic: #PlusD Translations - Volunteer translators welcome  (Read 3173 times)

Offline anon1984

• Demons run when a good man goes to war.
#PlusD Translations - Volunteer translators welcome
« on: April 09, 2013, 14:03:46 PM »
Dear members and volunteer translators,

as you all know, WikiLeaks recently published "the Kissinger Cables". We have created a board dedicated to them, as well as subboards in several languages. If you wish to translate any of these articles and documents into other languages in order to make them available for people who don't speak English, you are very welcome and your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

If you're already a translator and have an idea which article you want to translate, just start a reservation thread in the Translators Lounge and start translating :)

If you are not yet a translator but would like to become one, just reply to this post or contact me via PM (any questions will be answered) :)

Cheers,
anon1984

P.S.: If you would like to translate into a language for which we don't yet have a dedicated board, just let us know and the board will be created!
[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is.
- Winston Churchill

Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke. - Joss Whedon

Offline Bels

• New Member Group
  • Free Thinker. Jack of all Trades. That's me!
Re: #PlusD Translations - Volunteer translators welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 14:23:37 PM »
So Google translate or the likes is not an option here I guess...If it was it would be quite easy to translate all into many languages...or for those who speak a different language....well I am sure they would already have a translator...they are often built into websites or IOS where I have often gone to a foreign page and it picks up the language and asks if I want it translated to English...Anyway...Let me know if it is okay to use a translator and I would be happy to be of assistance to you. :-)
Kindest Regards
Belinda

[email protected]

Offline anon1984

• Demons run when a good man goes to war.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 14:39:45 PM »
Hey Bels :)

You will see that the quality of Google translate varies immensely depending on which language you are translating. In some languages, the result contains mistakes but is understandable, whereas in other languages it is very hard to even get the general idea of the text. Therefore human translators are very hard to replace by such programs ;)
(I suppose you have noticed that we have a "Translate" function at the Forum, on the bottom of each page. While it works very well when I want to read an article in Italian, I find it very difficult to understand its translations of e.g. Romanian or Chinese articles.)

However, what some translators do is pick an article, put it in Google translate and then compare the result to the original text and correct the mistakes. When I translate something I personally prefer to do it on my own, but using the google translate result as a first draft is an option :)

[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is.
- Winston Churchill

Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke. - Joss Whedon

Offline mayya

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 19:35:11 PM »
i would gladly do some translation from english into french  - thanks  in advance for your assistance in getting me started.

enrica

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 15:19:17 PM »
oook ^^ perfect mayya, I've noticed you have already done a great one [translation], keep going.

---

The Translation List of the suggested articles for this 1-2 weeks has been posted in the Translators lounge now: www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php/topic,18434.0.html - The board is visible only for the Forum Translators and is helpful to coordinate each other reserving the posts we would like to work on, asking for suggestions, exchanging informations with the others on how to translate better, etc.

Translating in our own mothertingue can indeed be a great service to Freedom of Information as, as anon1984 rightly says, google translate can be helpful but not enough to give a specifical correct translation in all the languages.

Whoever wants to partecipate to this project can ask to be added as Volunteer Translator of the forum here with a reply, or contacting the Forum's admin and mod team via p.m.

Eventual new language boards can be added here, as we have people posting and translating in those languages, so "all the world" can stay informed on news and leaks.

:)

Offline Bels

• New Member Group
  • Free Thinker. Jack of all Trades. That's me!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 15:51:48 PM »
Yes I thought that must have been what you wanted...Sorry I am not adept enough at any other language...But hope more help comes soon...Good on you Mayya
Kindest Regards
Belinda

[email protected]

enrica

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 21:45:29 PM »
Hey Bels nope if one isn't translator one can post, comment, give impressions and opinions: that's an awesome contribute in any case^^

Offline KXY

• New Member Group
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 21:36:31 PM »
i would like to translate in albanian and/or italian
just need the link to the docs...