Author Topic: Starting at the beginning with Assange's writing.  (Read 13074 times)

Offline CurrieJean

• Windsor Area Rational Free Thinkers' League
Starting at the beginning with Assange's writing.
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:54:43 AM »
The Important Stuff
Cypherpunk mailing list correspondence. "Mathematics wants to be rational. Symmetry wants to be self-similar. Memes want to be free." (1995-2002)
Underground: Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier  Full book PDF, 1997, w/Suelette Dreyfus
IQ.org blog "If we have brains or courage, then we are blessed and called on not to frit these qualities away, standing agape at the ideas of others, winning pissing contests, improving the efficiencies of the neocorporate state, or immersing ourselves in obscuranta, but rather to prove the vigor of our talents against the strongest opponents of love we can find." (2006-2007)
The Road to Hanoi "When potholes are small, the resultant political pressures are not sufficient to overcome the forces of other interests groups who compete for labour and resources. Likewise, it is difficult to motivate people who have other passions and pains in their life to go to the dentist when their teeth do not ache. Both are caused by limitations in knowledge and its distillation: foresight." (Dec 2006.)
State and Terrorist Conspiracies + Conspiracy as Governance PDF "Authoritarian regimes give rise to forces which oppose them by pushing against the individual and collective will to freedom, truth and self realization. Plans which assist authoritarian rule, once discovered, induce resistance. Hence these plans are concealed by successful authoritarian powers. This is enough to define their behavior as conspiratorial."  (2006.)
-- Zunguzungu's analysis
-- Audio discussion at PhilosophyZone.
WikiLeaks: Big picture "Take off your journalists hat for a moment and think like a physicist. I will provide you with a useful analogy to understand what we are doing." (2007)
WikiLeaks busts Gitmo propaganda team. (Dec 2007)
Bank Julius Baer vs. Wikileaks Assange/DDB. (Jan 2008)
The Hidden Curse of Thomas Paine. "What does it mean when only those facts about the world with economic powers behind them can be heard, when the truth lays naked before the world and no one will be the first to speak without payment or subsidy? Wikileaks’ unreported material is only the most visible wave on a black ocean of truth in draws of the fourth estate, waiting for a lobby to subsidize its revelation into a profitable endeavor." (April 29 2008.)
What’s new about WikiLeaks? "We shouldn’t be surprised by the war on WikiLeaks. The elite have always loathed the radical press, from English civil war news books to early American labour newspapers. " (April 14, 2011)
More here.

Extras
Julian Assange's vision of 'scientific journalism' “I want to set up a new standard: ‘scientific journalism.’ If you publish a paper on DNA, you are required, by all the good biological journals, to submit the data that has informed your research—the idea being that people will replicate it, check it, verify it. So this is something that needs to be done for journalism as well. There is an immediate power imbalance, in that readers are unable to verify what they are being told, and that leads to abuse.” (June 2 2010.)
Welcome to the Global Shadow State - Julian Assange talks turkey about Wikileaks “Much of the Bible, and other religious texts, are bad literature, because they neeed to encode a logistical and incentive system to replicate and distribute themselves. Bullying followers to tithe is bad literature but distribution subsidies must come from somewhere.” (@Frontline Oct 22, 2010.)
WikiLeaks: Strategy (collaborative, contributors unnamed, 2006/07)
The Cypherpunk Revolutionary: Robert Manne on Julian Assange "Unlike with Bell, the revolution Assange imagined would be non-violent. The agent of change would not be the assassin but the whistleblower. The method would not be the bullet but the leak. 'Conspiracy as Governance' can most accurately be interpreted as his answer to 'Assassination Politics'." (March 2011)
‘Open-eyed conspiracy his time doth take, Guy Rundle on WikiLeaks, Assange and vanguardism in the Information Age’. "A sealed helium-filled balloon in a room has a 0:1 relationship of outside to inside. A leak shifts that ratio ever so slightly. If leaking continues, the balloon eventually empties, with the helium evenly distributing throughout the room. In effect, the balloon ceases to exist. In similar fashion, a conspiracy that is leaking information is, by definition, on the road to extinction." (March 30, 2011)

tl;dr
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 00:09:05 AM by CurrieJean »

Offline Chrysamere

• Youtube Channel
Re: Starting at the beginning with Assange's writing.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 13:46:39 PM »
Nicely done! Nice tl;dr link too ;)
Free Julian Assange!

Offline CurrieJean

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 23:42:15 PM »
You're very welcome. :)

I've run into some more supplementary analyses of this revolutionary brain, but I'm still disappointed that it's received so little press. Mainstream media indulges in what is at best a pop-psych interpretation and at worst a smear without bothering to look at Assange's actual publication history. Perhaps this is because they don't know now to make it accessible to soundbyte consumers.

Robert Manne, however, has legitimately contributed to the discussion:

The Cypherpunk Revolutionary Julian Assange, a long article published at Cryptome, and in an audio interview at ABC Radio National, with The untold story of Julian Assange. The article references Katchadourian's piece from the New Yorker as well, so here's that.

I don't agree with Manne on everything -- for example, I'm not convinced that Assange is a sexist -- but his analysis is obviously well-researched.

Still, as I read I'm finding problems with Manne's conclusions. On the subject of Assange being known (that is, known by Domscheit-Berg)  to fabricate stories about his personal history:

Assange also told Dreyfus about a foundational political memory, an incident that had occurred while he was about four. His mother and a male friend had discovered evidence concerning the British atomic bomb tests that had taken place in Maralinga in greatest secrecy, which they intended to give to an Adelaide journalist. The male friend had been beaten by police to silence him. Christine had been warned that she was in danger of being charged with being "an unfit mother".  She was advised to stay out of politics. For a four year old to grasp the political meaning of an encounter such as this seems a little improbable.

This seems decidedly off the point. For a child to remember an event that created emotional turmoil in his family is not strange, and neither is it strange for that child to ask questions about the event and receive a more thorough explanation of the context later in life. People commonly link memories in this way, by supplementing an original memory with additional explanatory information, rather than creating and keeping totally separate memories every time a new bit of information about the original memory is obtained. This common economy of memory is massively useful, and is also well-known, as it's what makes all of us susceptible to suffering errors in our own memories from time to time.

So take Manne's perceptions with a grain of salt, I guess. This intellectual seems lacking in  common sense.  

I may add more to this comment as I read, or I may just stop bothering to read if I get too frustrated. The inability to suffer fools gladly makes for an excellent time-management strategy.

EDIT:  After getting back to reading, I have to correct myself. The passage I criticized was a minor hiccup rather than an indicator of simplicity. This is a fantastic article.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:34:07 AM by CurrieJean »

Offline lizrex

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
I remember hearing Julian Assange telling the story, and he said he was around 10 I think, driving around with his mother and 2 in the morning and they were stopped by police.  I think she was looking for someone.  The cop said something like you have no business being out with a child at this hour I could report you and you could lose custody.

He said it in the recent 60 minutes interview, I'll try to find a link.  Dunno  which part he says it in.

60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange 1/4
60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange 1/4

60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange 2/4
60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange 2/4

60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange (Extras) 3/4
60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange (Extras) 3/4

60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange (Overtime) 4/4
60 Minutes Interviews Julian Assange (Overtime) 4/4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:29:15 AM by lizrex »

Offline emirjame

• physical therapist/ government archivist
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 22:37:26 PM »
There exists a quote (as far as I know from Assange) as to how merely looking on to crimes  -without acting or condemning them - corrupts the bystanders & makes them complicit (this is the gist of the content).

Does anybody recognize this/ have a reference for me where to find this quote??
I want to use it to prepare my second letter to the American Medical Association who, so far, have not answered my concerns regarding abusing the medical profession to disguise the torture of Bradley Manning.
doing is definitely more interesting than having

Offline CurrieJean

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:02 AM »
Absolutely!

Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence and thereby eventually lose all ability to defend ourselves and those we love. In a modern economy it is impossible to seal oneself off from injustice.

If we have brains or courage, then we are blessed and called on not to frit these qualities away, standing agape at the ideas of others, winning pissing contests, improving the efficiencies of the neocorporate state, or immersing ourselves in obscuranta, but rather to prove the vigor of our talents against the strongest opponents of love we can find.

If we can only live once, then let it be a daring adventure that draws on all our powers. Let it be with similar types whos hearts and heads we may be proud of. Let our grandchildren delight to find the start of our stories in their ears but the endings all around in their wandering eyes.

The whole universe or the structure that perceives it is a worthy opponent, but try as I may I can not escape the sound of suffering. Perhaps as an old man I will take great comfort in pottering around in a lab and gently talking to students in the summer evening and will accept suffering with insouciance. But not now; men in their prime, if they have convictions are tasked to act on them.

iq.org entry titled 'Witnessing.'  It's one of  my favourite bits. :)

Offline emirjame

• physical therapist/ government archivist
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 13:26:13 PM »
Many thanx to you for finding that quote!!
doing is definitely more interesting than having

Offline CurrieJean

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 00:04:51 AM »
You're welcome, amirjane. :)

Update notice: I've added three links to the initial collection.
-- The Cypherpunk Revolutionary: Robert Manne on Julian Assange
-- ‘Open-eyed conspiracy his time doth take, Guy Rundle on WikiLeaks, Assange and vanguardism in the Information Age’.
-- Cypherpunk mailing list correspondence.

Offline CurrieJean

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 00:11:17 AM »
updated: added the recent New Statesman article, "What’s new about WikiLeaks?" to the main list.

Offline kyle

• New Member Group
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 23:27:38 PM »
this is very very nice post girl
Underground read it 3 times
the mails on Cypherpuks, i'll copy them all and read them in just 1 day, all years
and just wanted to say thank you for posting this.
It's a whole mind writen in there, it's the vision of Julian Assange, and now it's the vision of the whole world!
Very very thoughtful !!!

Offline iheartwl

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
The archive.org cache of iq.org is refusing to display because it says that it can't open the robots.txt on the iq.org server.  Anyone know of any other mirrors of the original iq.org content?  I would love to access it.  If anyone has copies saved locally and would like to post them on here, that would be much appreciated as well.

Offline Arduina

• cognitive dissidence
  • Transparency 4 the state-Privacy 4 the rest of us!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
I dunno if you guys knew, but IQ.org stood for "Interesting Questions", instead of as in "intelligence quotient". Assange seems to really like to make abbreviations and acronyms :) (BOS, LACC, IS, LEAKS, and perhaps he came up with the name for the W-ANK worm? I had to hyphenate that as it censored that word, haha).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:40:29 AM by Arduenna silva »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government,owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship.FDR

Offline Arduina

• cognitive dissidence
  • Transparency 4 the state-Privacy 4 the rest of us!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:05:09 AM »
I don't know how widely NorTel is used, I know it is a huge company, but I had a giggle at work when I noticed my work's phones are on the NorTel networks; I had read a while ago in "Underground" about Assange (as one of the few International Subversives) hacking into NorTel.
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government,owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship.FDR