Author Topic: Pirate Party Raid  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Bb

Pirate Party Raid
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »
I am sure most have heard about the Pirate Party raid that happened on 20/5/11.  I have searched to find out more details about the case. Does anyone have any updates? Here is a link to an article in  English about the raid:http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228294/german_police_seize_pirate_party_servers.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:06:56 AM by Bb »

Offline Bb

Re: Pirate Party Raid
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228294/german_police_seize_pirate_party_servers.html

There also been rumors this was an attempt to track down members of Anonymous as well. Anyone?

Offline Bb

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
Here is a link to Pirate Party's official site http://www.piratenpartei.de/

Another article about the raid.http://crowdleaks.org/police-confiscates-servers-of-the-german-pirate-party-piratenpad-offline/

I'm curious about how France was able to get such cooperation with Germany since the warrant originated in France. Does anyone have any info on that?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:29:42 AM by Bb »

Offline C

• Panoplia Propheticus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:13 AM »
Funny fact I:
Pirate Party sets all incoming IPs automatically on 127.0.0.1, which they also declare in public, on their website and so on. So seizing the servers for tracking down people is ... ah well ;)

Funny Fact II:
there was no request for judicial assistance from France, just a question, IF Germany would help.

Funny Fact III:
Media titled some hours after the raid, that the servers were seized to circumvent and I quote directly: "A terror attack by Anonymous on French Nuclear Power Plants"
Real facts to that:
I: this "terror attack" should have been a DDoS... on a nuclear power plant? Yeah, because they are of course connected with their critical systems to the internet. If that would be the case, Nuclear Power Plants should be taken from the electric net as fast as possible  O:) but since it is not... ah well.
II: this "terror attack" happened already in april, and was a DDoS on the french website of EDF. You can think of DDoS attacks as you want (I personally think it's stupid  ::) ), but it's not terror, just that somebody knocks on the door a bit too often. Voices got loud, that they fear, german police could maybe have found a way to time travel, but i'm not sure about that.
III: the piratepad this was all about was according to pirate party openly in the internet, some say they found out which pad it was, and IF they are right, it was a pad about anonymous browsing (aka using TOR etc) which is available also on Google Docs, scriptd, Etherpad... name it.

So whatever the reason is, seizing servers of the 6th biggest political party 2 days before an democratic election is a no-go, esp when you see that other parties, who openly call for discrimination a.s.o. never got seized in that way.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:49:52 AM by crnobela »
Communication is life, lying is art, deflection is business, detection is skill.

Offline Bb

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:58 AM »
Hey, I've been working my arse off but thanx for the info and reply. I really admire what they do and hate to see any government try to "monitor" and control the flow of information. They are the old paradigm and we are the new-IMO.

Offline jasonBourne

• V is for vigilante.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
There also been rumors this was an attempt to track down members of Anonymous as well. Anyone?

lulz of course it was an 'attempt'. *** *** *** ***? **?

Sprawlie's Note: This post has been edited to remove disrespectful content
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 18:14:14 PM by Sprawlie »