Author Topic: Animal Rights Group Disrupts Muslim Eid al-Adha Ceremony In Poland  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Pond

Animal Rights Group Disrupts Muslim Eid al-Adha Ceremony In Poland

Mufti of Poland Tomasz Miskiewicz (R) speaks to animal rights activists and to reporters gathering outside the mosque in Bohoniki village, eastern Poland, on October 15, 2013. Polish Muslims began the celebration of the Eid al-Adha, Feast of the Sacrifice, one of the two most important feasts in the Muslim religion. On this occasion of the religious holiday, Polish muslims planned to ritually slaughter a few lambs. Animal rights activists protested outside the Mosque in Bohoniki, arguing that ri | Getty

WARSAW, Poland -- WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Animal rights activists in Poland have disturbed the start of an Islamic holiday which involves the recently banned slaughter of conscious animals.
A group of angry animal rights activists on Tuesday tried to prevent Muslim community in Bohoniki, in eastern Poland, from proceeding with the Eid al-Adha holiday, or Feast of Sacrifice, that includes cutting the throats of conscious animals.
Poland's top Muslim leader, Mufti Tomasz Miskiewicz, said the ceremony would proceed according to tradition.
Effective this year, Polish law requires all animals to be stunned before they are culled and the procedure is performed at a slaughter house. The law has hit the religious practices of Poland's Jewish and Muslim minorities, though their rights are guaranteed by the constitution.

Source & more pictures here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/animal-rights-eid-al-adha-_n_4100582.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003#slide=3005693
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 00:47:16 AM by Dory »

enrica

Re: Animal Rights Group Disrupts Muslim Eid al-Adha Ceremony In Poland
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
IF they are all vegetarian they can complain. Otherways they should reflect each time they go and buy chicken at the supermarket and cry, I guess.

Offline Pond

Re: Animal Rights Group Disrupts Muslim Eid al-Adha Ceremony In Poland
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 14:27:54 PM »
Animal rights activists are mostly vegentarians, but PETA for example are not fighting for the whole world to become vegetarians, as they realize that's an unrealistic goal to fight for. Instead, they are demanding the improval of the conditions under which animals raised for meat are held and killed.

As far as I am aware, it is a common practice even in the most gruesome industrial slaughter houses to stun animals before killing them. For example, chickens are rendered unconscious by putting their heads in a big bowl of water which is under strong electricity before cutting their throats. Cattle, pigs and other animals slaughtered for meat are rendered unconscious before the act of killing as well (even though, as a matter of fact, it does not always work flawlessly).

the Eid al-Adha holiday, or Feast of Sacrifice, that includes cutting the throats of conscious animals.
I have been lucky enough to never witness such a gruesome and gory procedure, but I am pretty sure this includes the animals suffocating on their own blood and then bleeding to death - a slow, insufferably, inhumanly painful, disgusting death.

So while I'm all for equal rights for people pertaining to all kinds of religions, and for their right to choose a religion and to follow rituals which they believe their God requires, I am deeply convinced that any creature's right to not have to suffer such a death is worth 1000 times more than a person's right to perform a religious ritual.

In conclusion, therefore I am 100% in accordance with those animal right's activists, and I believe they were the ones doing the right thing.
To those religious people...well, a ritual is not right and good just because it's good and because it's always been this way. If we assume there is a God, we should hypothesize that he is flexible enough to adapt to new, cruelty-free rituals, and that he values each creature on this earth more than a holiday. So, time to modernize, times change.