Author Topic: Bradley Manning 'should never have been sent to Iraq' - Guardian  (Read 1720 times)

Offline lizrex

WikiLeaks accused Bradley Manning 'should never have been sent to Iraq'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/27/bradley-manning-wikileaks-mentally-fragile

I'm appalled at this article and video released by the Guardian online.  A soldier who trained with Manning in the army is saying, with his face blurred, that at some point Manning was ganged up on and urinated on himself.  They use this to construct a portrait of someone unstable.  In fact when someone is threatened to the point of being in mortal danger, the body empties the bladder, colon or stomach in a flight reaction.  Instead of seeing the bullying culture and mentality of the army, which is some cases have resulted in murder prosecutions within the army, they blame Manning.

In the video clip of the boston uni hacker space party, in the guardian video peice, they say Manning had just broken with his boyfriend, but isn't that him standing beside him or am I mistaken?

Here is the boston uni clip on its own:

FRONTLINE "WikiSecrets" Excerpt 2: Welcome to the Hacker Space | PBS

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
Re: Bradley Manning 'should never have been sent to Iraq' - Guardian
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 17:26:10 PM »
In fact when someone is threatened to the point of being in mortal danger, the body empties the bladder, colon or stomach in a flight reaction.  Instead of seeing the bullying culture and mentality of the army, which is some cases have resulted in murder prosecutions within the army, they blame Manning.

I was dumbfounded by this article in the Guardian. And I completely agree with your above quote.....it is the military's psychologists and experts duty to assess if someone is fit for the army or not. How can you blame a young man for wanting to get into the army to get money for college? Also....the usage of this particular "urination" detail was terribly uncalled for. Urination does not prove anything, especially mental instability, there are plenty of other examples like the shouts and chair throwing that can be used for that purpose, but mentioning that particular detail sounded more like an attempt to discredit this young man.
Whether Manning is the whistleblower or not, he is being treated as such.....and these latest attempts to portray him a nutjob is probably an attempt to make it look like Assange manipulated this fragile young man to upload those documents.

What irritates me the most is that, it was exactly the Guardian, the medium that has been so active to Manning's defense and Leigh even twitted "had Manning come to me and not to Assange he wouldn't be in jail". Now here you have them.....writing a piece that is terribly like the profile the NYT did for Manning. Shame on them!
It is not journalism to include embarrassing details that ruin a young man's reputation like that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 17:28:50 PM by Quantum »
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline lizrex

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 19:12:40 PM »
Yes and this on the heals of Obama's visit to the UK, hmmm.  And good point, quantum, about the education, yea he just was trying to get ahead in his education.  But the descriptions from everybody about his behaviour paints a picture to me of constant bullying, and believe me I've been in climates like that, in school, and it is a very heavy stress and you are in mortal fear.   I wouldn't be surprised if he was disillusioned with the army, seeing what he saw at that level, I think a lot of us are disillusioned now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 19:17:09 PM by lizrex »

Offline tabula rasa

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:42:46 AM »
I agree, this article is appalling... It would still be awful if the person was able to defend themselves against the character smears, that BM can't makes it even worse!

Re ur quite Quantum, Leigh even twitted "had Manning come to me and not to Assange he wouldn't be in jail". That proably right, if BM had gone to Leigh he probably would have been charged, convicted and executed for treason so he technically wouldnt be in jail... ???
There is a certain dramatic irony attached to all this. A synchronicity that borders on predestination, one might say.

Offline mabs01

• :) wikivist
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 20:37:24 PM »
did everyone saw the protest of free maning?
Mabs

Offline emirjame

• physical therapist/ government archivist
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 23:47:18 PM »
I am not so upset on this account about Manning as others: Bradley is in jail and faces 52 years of jail-time. It can well be that blaming the army for all the places where things went wrong is the best option of a legal strategy to set him free.

Imagine: Wales and the UK. really want him free and put all the pressure behind this they can muster. Imagine: Bradley cannot be connected to Assange and is, in that aspect, not useful. Imagine: the USA wants to solve this situation they have in their hands. What is an easier way to let themselves of the hook than just declare their own system healthy and Manning insane??
doing is definitely more interesting than having