Author Topic: PFC Manning Forced to Strip Naked  (Read 8378 times)

Offline CurrieJean

• Windsor Area Rational Free Thinkers' League
PFC Manning Forced to Strip Naked
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:25:56 AM »

PFC Manning Forced to Strip Naked (today)

Last night, PFC Manning was inexplicably stripped of all clothing by the Quantico Brig.  He remained in his cell, naked, for the next seven hours.  At 5:00 a.m., the Brig sounded the wake-up call for the detainees.  At this point, PFC Manning was forced to stand naked at the front of his cell.

The Duty Brig Supervisor (DBS) arrived shortly after 5:00 a.m.  When he arrived, PFC Manning was called to attention.  The DBS walked through the facility to conduct his detainee count.  Afterwards, PFC Manning was told to sit on his bed.  About ten minutes later, a guard came to his cell to return his clothing.

This type of degrading treatment is inexcusable and without justification.  It is an embarrassment to our military justice system and should not be tolerated.  PFC Manning has been told that the same thing will happen to him again tonight.  No other detainee at the Brig is forced to endure this type of isolation and humiliation.

source

Forced Nudity of Iraqi Prisoners Is Seen as a Pervasive Pattern, Not Isolated Incidents (2004)

In the weeks since photographs of naked detainees set off the abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib, military officials have portrayed the sexual humiliation captured in the images as the isolated acts of a rogue night shift.

But forced nudity of prisoners was pervasive in the military intelligence unit of Abu Ghraib, so much so that soldiers later said they had not seen "the whole nudity thing," as one captain called it, as abusive or out of the ordinary.

While there have been reports of forced nakedness at detention facilities in Afghanistan and at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the practice was apparently far more aggressive at Abu Ghraib, according to interviews, reports from human rights groups and sworn statements from detainees and soldiers. The detainees said leaving prisoners naked started as far back as last July, three months before the seven soldiers now charged and their military police company arrived at the prison. It bred a culture, some soldiers say, where the abuse captured on film could happen.

Detainees were paraded naked past other prisoners and guards; some were ordered to do jumping jacks and sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" in the nude, according to a several witnesses. Also, a father and his grown son were stripped, then forced to stand and stare at each other. The International Committee of the Red Cross, visiting in October, found prisoners left naked in their cells for days, modestly trying to shield themselves behind cardboard from meals-ready-to-eat boxes.

source (and the rest of the article)

Fascist America in Ten Steps (2007)
Naomi Wolf

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
   2. Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
   3. Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
   4. Set up an internal surveillance system.
   5. Harass citizens' groups.
   6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release.
   7. Target key individuals.
   8. Control the press.
   9. Treat all political dissidents as traitors.
  10. Suspend the rule of law.

Full article/argument here.

Offline CurrieJean

Re: PFC Manning Forced to Strip Naked
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:39:19 AM »
Oh, and one more.

Stanford prison experiment (1971)

Twenty-four students were selected out of 75 to play the prisoners and live in a mock prison in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. Roles were assigned randomly. The participants adapted to their roles well beyond what even Zimbardo himself expected, leading the "Officers" to display authoritarian measures and ultimately to subject some of the prisoners to torture.

The experiment even affected Zimbardo himself, who, in his capacity as "Prison Superintendent," lost sight of his role as psychologist and permitted the abuse to continue as though it were a real prison. Five of the prisoners were upset enough by the process to quit the experiment early, and the entire experiment was abruptly stopped after only six days.

source

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:46:06 AM by CurrieJean »

Offline margoelena

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 23:08:19 PM »
I am so outraged by this.  Manning is a hero... the only enemy he was aiding are the American people!  He is a hero and will always be remembered as such.  The way they are treating him makes me sick.  Justice will be served someday.  I only hope that he can maintain his sanity throughout all this... when he gets out of there, he will truly be rewarded.  My heart goes out to him...

Exdefensecontractor

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:58 AM »
I hope they offer compassion. It seems rather barbaric in the treatment of him. We are supposed to be a civilized society.

Offline mabs01

• :) wikivist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:21:10 AM »
This is so mean, sad & unfair :( he is just a kid :'(
Mabs

Offline surelia

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 13:25:47 PM »
Just found this fresh video on youtube. Called "Quick facts: Wikileaks suspect Bradley Manning".

Quick Facts: Wikileaks suspect Bradley Manning
;(   But all that's left is a place dark and lonely
A terraced house in a mean street back of town  ;(

Offline surelia

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 13:31:38 PM »
also found this video called "US military tortures Manning to set an example". Interesting video in my opinion.

'US military tortures Manning to set an example'
;(   But all that's left is a place dark and lonely
A terraced house in a mean street back of town  ;(

Offline mabs01

• :) wikivist
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 13:45:43 PM »
Great videos! We have to do something for poor Maning :(
Mabs

Fanyajuu

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 23:16:11 PM »
This is so embarrassing for the u.s. ...
I feel very sorry for Bradley, but what can we do?

I guess Obama has disappinted many people in the world. Maybe he should think about handing back this Nobel Price ...

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 23:32:40 PM »
Fanyajuu: I can´t understand why he accepted the prize in the first place...  ???
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

Offline Iris

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:49 AM »
It's so sad  :( I'm gonna send some money tomorrow. I just wish there was more we could do.

Exdefensecontractor

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »
Alfred Nobel is likely rolling in his grave.

Offline Electric Sheep

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »
It's pretty pathetic to see this is how America treats true heros. Manning only wanted to support the American citizens, not tear them apart. He is not a terrorist. Its not like he wanted to dismantle to government, or kill thousands of people, he only wanted to inform the people and give them a voice.

then again, it seems like people with a voice are classified as terrorists to the American Government.

Fanyajuu

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »
Fanyajuu: I can´t understand why he accepted the prize in the first place...  ???

Well, he felt  of course flattered and honored, not  to mention the money and the  positive image associated with this award.
He never should have received it.
There are so many courageous people in  the world risking  their lives for more freedom and democracy - from most  of them we have never yet heard anything, not even necessarily their names, but such people would have deserved the prize much more  than him.

Offline CurrieJean

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 20:58:10 PM »
Making a cross-post in here to get the idea more attention, since I really want to know what everyone thinks of it, at least.

Re: Suggestions & Ideas to help Bradley Manning

A small-scale but effective option: join Helium and write to this title.

The thing with Helium is this:  lots of people can write for a single title, and then all those articles are ranked by a rating process. Writers need to participate in rating one article against another under the same title in order to get paid.

The more articles this title has under it, the more people who aren't already interested or informed about Manning will read about him in the rating process. They'll be judging writing quality, but they'll be learning too.

If you've got at least 400 words to say to help Manning, please put them on Helium.

Edit -- Also, I'm pretty sure that every new article under a title increases rating-readership exponentially, since every new article needs to be ranked against every other individually.

Another edit -- If anyone wants to do this but isn't terribly confident about their writing, I'll be happy to proofread. I'm your lady. Send me a PM. :)