Author Topic: julian speaks at the Hay Festival 2011  (Read 2039 times)

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
julian speaks at the Hay Festival 2011
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:24:50 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/8556856/Hay-Festival-2011-Julian-Assange-claims-FBI-tried-to-bribe-Wikileaks-staff.html

"But he indicated that opening up societies around the world may mean fatalities are a price worth paying."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/8557038/Hay-Festival-2011-What-the-public-thought-of-Assange.html
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them

Offline lizrex

Re: julian speaks at the Hay Festival 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
Ty for the link uncensored.  I hope there is a video of this coming soon. 

That is a sobering quote, and I admire Julian Assange for having the courage to say it.   Hugo Chavez says you can't go up against these big business interests and not expect them to push back, but he won against them and its a hopeful example.

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:13:57 AM »
As  cruel as his words might sound (and they do sound as such).....
The choices are two:
1) keep things as they are
2) start/follow a new movement of transparency
Now do the balance, which system causes the more deaths and poverty and inhumane treatments.....and which one less.

Those who work on the material are human, and to err is human, so the day will soon come when they will miscalculate something and someone will get hurt....but someone might potentially get hurt in comparison to more than 700 already dead Lybian civilians or thousands of dead Afghanis and Iraqis (and many more)......doesn't really offer you much of a choice.

Also.....why doesn't anyone offer to Al Jazeera's Transparency Unit the same criticism....that their platform might potentially cause victims too? Medias handle the wl documents, just like Al Jazeera handles Transparency Unit's submissions....... the difference is very little.....yet all the negative attention goes to wl.....what about all the other whistleblowing platforms that are sprouting?

If we need to talk about the fact that this new movement of transparency can cause victims.....we need to point our fingers and scrutinize every single one of those platform ..... wikileaks is merely one of them.

You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline uncensored

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »
   I see more then 2 options.  Because lives are and have been at risk  I would want a system of transparancy  and  that  the process of reaching
a decission was also transparent and  relied on more then one person to come to these choices.   Concentrated power leads to  abuses  no matter who that person is. 

If someone in  media made a rash  decission that killed someone I loved  (say exposing their location in a war zone)   I'd call that murder  and I would want them tried for murder .    If julian wants to sacrifice a life for his goals  he can start and end  with  choosing what is right for his own life -  no other.
 Imagine your child/husband dead  because an editor thought they knew enough about  the situation to weigh  that  this person/these persons  deaths   were a good   trade off  for some  hoped for  gain?

If you wish to point out the wrong doings of others that have caused death How does it make things better to add another person  causing more death?   Death  never leads to peace.......ever.  If it did we - with all the killings  - for good and bad -  we would be there now.   More deaths  are just a continuation of the  same old  system of  war -

Journalist report on the wars  they don't   deem themselves  worthy of  choosing who will live or die  or whose life is worth  risking for  their desired out come.  Jouranalist report on wars not engage in them. Once you are a fighter  you are not a journalist  your frame of reference is much different.

Offline uncensored

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:16:46 AM »
Ty for the link uncensored.  I hope there is a video of this coming soon. 

That is a sobering quote, and I admire Julian Assange for having the courage to say it.   Hugo Chavez says you can't go up against these big business interests and not expect them to push back, but he won against them and its a hopeful example.

I read there was going to be a video released at a future time.  I put together a few links including a  youtube  "Best of the Hay"

The best of Hay Festival 2011
http://www.hayfestival.com/portal/index.aspx?skinid=1&localesetting=en-GB
https://twitter.com/#!/hayfestival
http://www.facebook.com/hayfestival?v=app_4949752878
http://blog.hayfestival.org/index.php/category/hay-festival-wales-2011/

Offline Quantum

• I can resist everything except temptation.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:53:12 PM »
You are taking it as a "no big deal if a couple die" when in fact it is "we are human, we are not perfect, we will do our best to protect all innocents .... but we do not promise to be always foolproof....something might slip through the cracks".
None of them is any interested in hurting anyone.....Assange the least of them because it will be his head that will be hanged and it will be his name in the same sentence with murder. So the fact that Assange is the one with the last word does not increase or decrease the chance of there being victims or not. It does not depend on Assange......the material goes through medias first....which will give their own professional input to whether there is a risk or not. WL is an organization which collaborates in publishing the material.....WL is not Julian Assange. The philosophy is his, the work is split between many others.
You must satisfy your invariant instincts or you will be at odds with your own character. It is only when we are not at odds with our basic makeup that we can find life meaningful. - Julian Assange

Offline Helene

• the world is not enough
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 13:13:35 PM »

I don´t understand the excitement.
The other side (US gov etc.) don´t care about their victims at all.
They don´t care about friendly fire, murdered trade unionist in US protected dictatorships.

It is only one of the counter attacks on WikiLeaks to accept there are victims.
They want us to be petrified and do nothing except of praying or begging.