Author Topic: Australians' private government details at mercy of hackers, say IT ...  (Read 860 times)

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
Australians' private government details at mercy of hackers, say IT security experts
Ben Grubb and Noel Towell - April 28th 2014

Some of the information accessible via my.gov.au when linking it to Medicare.

The private records of millions of Australians – including their doctor visits, prescription drugs, childcare and welfare payments – are at the mercy of cyber criminals because of flimsy IT security around a critical federal government website, IT security experts warn.

And they say the risk will increase from the middle of the year, when the government will make it compulsory for Australians to use the my.gov.au website to lodge their electronic tax returns, potentially also exposing their financial and banking records to hackers.

"I expect two-factor authentication for information that is much less valuable. Security expert Troy Hunt"

The myGov site is used by 2.5 million Australians to access their Centrelink, Medicare, Child Support, Department of Veteran Affairs, e-health, and NDIS government accounts. If users link their different accounts, information accessible includes their name, date of birth, phone numbers, email address, Medicare number, child immunisation records, dates of doctor visits and drugs prescribed, welfare and childcare reimbursement payments.

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/government-it/australians-private-government-details-at-mercy-of-hackers-say-it-security-experts-20140427-zqzkg.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 17:03:43 PM by Riney »
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear