Author Topic: Deleting account option  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Sprawlie

Deleting account option
« on: January 13, 2015, 16:28:59 PM »
The delete account option.. Is it not supposed to be found in Forum profile --> actions?  All I find there is Profile settings for Youtube... Could somebody please check my account, please? 

/maggie
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

Fantasio

Re: Deleting account option
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 17:18:58 PM »
As far as I know, account deletions are not possible.Please read the forums registration agreement http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/register

Offline J.C

• la plume est plus puissante que l'épée
    • Snowden
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 20:27:05 PM »
you really want to go????
Assange fears the Pigeon.

https://goo.gl/QjIHja

Offline Sprawlie

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 20:37:41 PM »
There was always an option to delete the account in "the old days"... But now things may have changed? 

The Dr. Joker,
It's time to go. I have not been active in a long time. There is no reason staying. But I want to close both of my accounts first.
‎If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.

All Spiric

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 22:01:23 PM »
Hello,

what would you like us to check ? Please note, there are no "account deletion" buttons anymore. If you don't wish to use your account then we suggest simply not visiting the Forum anymore. Your account holds no personal Information.

All Spiric

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 22:33:13 PM »
you really want to go????

lol, I think that person left the Forum 3 years ago so need for alarm ;-)

Fantasio

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 22:49:19 PM »
The delete account option.. Is it not supposed to be found in Forum profile --> actions? All I find there is Profile settings for Youtube... Could somebody please check my account, please?

/maggie

Hello, you account has been checked and it seems to be working fine.If the logs are correct, you havent used the forum since 2012 so my best advice would be to simply not visit the forum if you don't intend to use it.

The delete option was taken down a long time ago.

Offline Elaine Davis

• Administrator
  • To thine own self, be true.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:24 AM »
I just have to ask, not to be asinine, but why was the DELETE ACCOUNT option take down a long time ago?

If I ever decided to leave the forum, which I probably will not, I could care less if my IP address is stored here along with my account and registration, but some people may actually feel like they want an account DELETED...probably because on most social media networking sites, and other online social interactive sites such as forums, the user has the OPTION to delete an account.

I would think that would be one of the first and foremost options available to a user. USERS leave social media networking sites, and social interactive sites all the time, deleting accounts as they go.

I'm just wondering about that option here....seems that most of the members who are registered have not been to the forum in quite some time....

I can understand if leaving the forum means not being able to return or rejoin in the future...

Sometimes I wonder if not having the DELETE account option available makes it look as though we are a bit 'clingy' or unwilling to let go of members for some unidentified reason....and the unwillingness to allow former posters to delete accounts makes us look like we have negative attitudes. 

I don't mean to seem as though I am assuming all of the above...I am just making some comments in regard to the option of deleting accounts as I fish for a true reason, because there may be a real reason that I do not see.
GOD FORBID THE LIGHTS GO OUT and a zillion brains have to be retrained to function in manual reality.

Does anyone else get the idea that the tweets on the WL account are starting to sound a little like someone is bathing in a bird bath, eating bird food & possibly smoking bird * in his own sphere??

Offline jujyjuji

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
Heya... For what I understand at the moment deletions aren't approved, though the procedure is still visible.

I don't know what actually happens to the data when an account gets deleted/deactivated, but I see the comments remain and one gets a "Guest" status instead of "member".

May it be some info are lost with the deletion? In that case, saving them could be needed for the forum for a serie of reasons, as one has the responsibility on who is acting on his/her site.

Facebook, Twitter, FoWL (Friends of WL) and whatever other interactive don't delete any data when the accounts get deleted, everything remains stored.

This is a forum that Never used the members' data for improper purposes, it even refused to send them to Assange when required, as it is illegal to pass data to 3rd parties without consent.

Given these premises, I think not using the accounts is technically the same than having them deactivated (for the info I know at the moment; I don't know everything, so correct me if I'm wrong).
This is NOT a social network, so not using an account simply means the account's activity is dead; nobody is going to contact non-active members.

What Elaine asks for I think is anyway a possibility to be considered: one may want deactivate (without deleting) the account for a whatever reason.
Not having a delete/option "makes it look as though we are a bit 'clingy' or unwilling to let go of members for some unidentified reason" ? From outside it may give this impression also for me, honestly.

To balance the thing I again say this is not a social network, so non-used accounts simply remain dead; the data remain totally private. It's not facebook. The account settings if I well remember can also be set up with NO pms, NO notifications etc. so they can be really put in pause.

I would suggest a deactivation possibility, if on a site like this that can be organized.
I hope it is possible to organize the members' setting in "non-active" member, so one feels free of also demonstrating his/her account isn't working at the moment.
It's just a suggestion, I don't know if it's realizable. #justsaying

Offline mayya

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 18:01:06 PM »
@sprawlie

to sum up, the forum does not delete accounts for the following main reasons:

- the forum may be accused on censorship after a deletion
- a user who had an account deleted may want to have it reinstated
- identity theft where the real user is not aware that someone has taken over his identity to have the account deleted

accounts may be neutralised by a forum admin in the following fashion :

- user name change
- email address replaced with a made up address
- password change

please advise how you would like to proceed via this thread, via a pm or via email at  [email protected]

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 21:08:30 PM »
Just a quick comment about account deletions... As you may all know the NSA stores everything, and most likely so does the counterpart equivalents of the NSA in all of the other countries that have such a type of department. In my opinion going around deleting data from data bases only brings you more into their interest, as most people delete things that they do not want seen. Just saying...
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear

Offline Elaine Davis

• Administrator
  • To thine own self, be true.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:19 AM »
Uh, Riney you are very correct about that.

Yes, deleting accounts, removing yourself from social media, after an individual has been interactive on that media for so long COULD, depending on some other circumstances occurring simultaneously during the deletions, and WILL send up a flag to the NSA and it's counterparts..COUNTERPARTS meaning all those little departments that are currently in developmental stages as we speak on this forum. 

We do not even yet know who they are...but there is a reason the NSA is hiring Math majors out the ying yang. They are preparing themselves for the next four years of cyber development, which will span to include developments we probably cannot fathom at the moment.

I have been doing a little bit of studying on this...following tech folks on Twitter and reading their materal...when I put what I have read thus far together, there are developments in the surveillance department that may surprise us.

Right now, the government agencies, and OTHER agencies are bowing to the hackers...they have to in order to keep the WRONG hacker from going psycho and knocking down the cyberstructure. NOTE THE MEDIA attention certain hacker groups are being given at the moment.

THERE IS A REASON for it ...in my humble opinion.

Think.
GOD FORBID THE LIGHTS GO OUT and a zillion brains have to be retrained to function in manual reality.

Does anyone else get the idea that the tweets on the WL account are starting to sound a little like someone is bathing in a bird bath, eating bird food & possibly smoking bird * in his own sphere??

Offline jujyjuji

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 13:05:40 PM »
@all *thumb up*

There are certain trolls that spread venom against the forum by telling it doesn't delete accounts to look "bigger" (mega stupidity given hundreds guests read it daily, anyway).
These are the very same people complaining if banned or if having the account deleted after themselves asked for.

There is no comparison between a forum that normally has members' data for forum security reasons and uses them properly, and the NSA spying data of whoever, or social networks that handle data to 3rd parties. 

The pragmatic side: if one wants to set the account less active when in pause with the WLF activities, one can turn off pms and notifications in the "Forum Profile" settings.

Paranoid side circulating around the "leaks fans" after the last NSA and SpyFiles revelation: that whatever site asking for your data may be "Spying YO.OU!" ... worst if it's a forum that allows criticism about WikiLeaks.

One actually has to give his/her data online each time you have a paypall account, banck account, you pay for the electricity or the water online, etc. All these sites, of private companies, ask for your data, store your data and even when you delete an account they Mantain and Use your data even to send you publicity, including stressy phone calls (in Italy it's so, at least)... A bancomat traces you each time you pay or retire money, knowing who you are, where you are, what you are using the money for...

I don't think one has anything to worry about having an account on a forum.

I'm not referring to @Sprawlie's case here, but, in general, I think willing to delete the accounts is also "mode" launched by cabledrummer & Co., and FoWL has been improperly used to send emails to ask forum members to delete their accounts (= attempt of censorship of the forum and of the members, given whoever of them can always post their thoughts here)... Having the account deleted only means one can't use it anymore.