Author Topic: Side stepping the donations issue.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Okey

• New Member Group
Side stepping the donations issue.
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I'm not sure whether or not an idea of this nature has been discussed here before. I have had an admittedly brief scan through the archives and found nothing that directly related to it. I can only assume that it has infact been discussed before, if not here then within the wikileaks organisation itself. However I would still like to bring it up to see whether or not it has already been deemed too impractical or if there is a discussion to be had.

The idea is to find a way around the restraints that have been placed on Wikileaks by organisations such as VISA MasterCard and others by blocking donations. This obviously becomes an issue when Wikileaks is an organisation that relies solely on donations. To get around this we must find a way to outsmart those who are trying their absolute best to ensure a bleak future for mankind.

In theory the idea is simple. The problem is that Wikileaks itself cannot receive donations. So why not create an organisation below Wikileaks that is set up to receive donations in its name? The details of this new organisation could then be uploaded onto the Wikileaks donations page, which would then help continue their quest towards a brighter future for mankind. Once donations have been received they would then just have to be funneled to Wikileaks via other means.

An obvious problem that arrises from this is the fact that donations would soon be blocked to these organisations as well. To combat this All that would need to be done is to make another organisation and then upload it's details and so on and so forrth.  This would obviously be very time consuming but I'm sure that there are people the world over who would be wuilling to donate their time. I for one would be the first to put my hand up.

Having never set up an organisation myself I can't specualte on how feasible this idea would be. However i can offer an alternative. Simply use individuals. By using trusted individuals' Paypal accounts to receive donations then side stepping this problem would become slightly more possible. By uploading the paypal details of these individuals to the donations page then donations could once again be received in the name of Wikileaks. These accounts would inevitably be disabled so once this happens all that would need to be done is upload more Paypal account details. This would take a lot of time and a lot of people but we could have a potential army here of people willing to do their bit.

As i mentioned earlier i don't know whether or not these plans are at all plausible, they are just ideas and I'm hoping that some more people will be able to shed some light.

greekemmy

Re: Side stepping the donations issue.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 14:04:15 PM »
Do you mean to form something like a school's Parent/Teacher Association or "Friends of Wikileaks Association" whose sole purpose for existence would be to organise fundraising events. It would have no other responsibility/activity, publishing or otherwise. ?

Offline lizrex

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 17:25:53 PM »
It's an interesting idea Okey, it's sort of like wikileaks itself that simply propogated itself and was un-shut-downable.  Perhaps the same principle could be used for fundraising.  Bitcoin actually does this, because you can generate a new hash tag for the donations every week or every day. 

The recent bitcoin hacking scare was after wikileaks started accepting bitcoins for donations, I can't prove it but I just have a feeling that the groups that aaron barr worked with are still on a destroy campaign, and might sabatoge bitcoin through disinformation. 

Offline qubit

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 22:32:58 PM »
A member has kindly provided a simple walkthrough for donations via bitcoin.

Human-Friendly Instructions for Supporting Wikileaks With Bitcoin
https://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php?topic=2553.msg15229#new

Hope that helps someone.

Offline Felsi

• New Member Group
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:47:52 AM »
While it is a noble idea, you might as well call the group, "This is in NO WAY to benefit WikiLeaks (HINT HINT WINK WINK)."  Major financing institutions would find a way to block access to donors just the same I feel.

On the other hand, there are still legitimate ways to donate as inconvenient as it may seem.  Taking Bitcoin for example, this is the internet we're talking about here, it's like we're all in the same room.  I wouldn't be in a room with Dave and Steve and ask Dave to give Steve the five dollars I owe him, I'd give it to him myself.  Include a middle man and there is a whole new world of kurfluffle opening up.

In theory, great idea, but if it was that easy it would have been done much longer ago.  Someone tell me I'm wrong, please.