Author Topic: #Ecuador's Only Free Speech Organization Shut Down by #Correa Government  (Read 3941 times)

Offline mayya

• Administrator
Ecuador's Only Free Speech Organization Shut Down by Correa Government

By Roberto Ontiveros ([email protected])
First Posted: Sep 11, 2015 02:54 PM EDT

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa (Photo : Salah Malkawi/Getty Images)

Fundamedios, Ecuador's only independent organization devoted to free press, is being targeted by the government and is likely to soon be shut down.

Since his election in 2007, President Rafael Correa has been engaged in a very public battle with Ecuadoran media, pressuring newspapers and threatening journalists.
Fundamedios, which was founded in 2006, has been documenting the president’s attack on media along the way.

On Tuesday, Ecuador’s Secretary of Communications (Secom), told Fundamedios that it is being dissolved for its “indisputably political” messages.

As reported by the Miami Herald, Fundamedios Director César Ricaurte said his organization has been given just 10 days to appeal. “They’re keeping up appearances that they’re giving us a chance to defend ourselves,” said Ricaurte. “But it’s been clear for a long time that they want to get rid of us.”
Secom asserts that, “Fundamedios has disseminated messages, alerts and essays with indisputable political overtones.”

Ricaurte told the Herald, via a phone conversation, that, “The government doesn’t make the distinction between political proselytizing and political journalism.”
Daniel Wilkinson, the managing director for Human Rights Watch in the Americas, said in a statement, “The Correa administration wants to punish an organization for tweeting articles with news and opinions it doesn’t like.”

“This is an egregious abuse of power and a clear example of this government’s authoritarian practices,” he added.

In 2013 Correa issued an executive decree, which allowed for government intervention in the operations of nongovernmental organizations. The decree allows the government to revoke charters if organizations threaten “public peace” or stray from their stated-missions. The Ecuadorian government has already used that law to close environmental groups and organizations that have taken a stand against the government.
As reported by the Associated Press, the U.S. State Department has voiced its concern about a perceived increase in restrictions on freedom of expression in Ecuador. John Kirby, a spokesman for the department, said Washington is particularly concerned about President Correa's moves to dissolve Fundamedios.

“The work that Fundamedios does is irreplaceable,” said Ricaurte about his threatened group. “There is no other organization that monitors aggression against the press.”

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/78609/20150911/ecuadors-only-free-speech-organization-shut-down-by-correa-government.htm

Offline Mister Toast

• Administrator
Re: #Ecuador's Only Free Speech Organization Shut Down by #Correa Government
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 16:24:09 PM »
RESPONSE BY ASSANGE:

Julian Assange rejects 'Perfil' Freedom of Expresion award:

Statement by Julian Assange, Founder of WikiLeaks:

"I note that Argentinian journalist Herman Schiller has rejected the award, under the basis that the award is abusing my good name to promote U.S. funded attacks on the government of Ecuador. This year Perfil concurrently awarded the director of the media lobby group 'Fundamedios'.

I have researched the issue and discovered that the director of 'Fundamedios' has previously denounced my work and that of WikiLeaks.

Fundamedios specializes in savaging the Ecuadorian government's attempts at breaking up Ecuadorian media ologopolies. Most of these ologopolies have traditionally been close to the U.S. government and have engaged in frequent acts of journalistic corruption. Ecuadorian media diversity reforms have been mandated by national popular referendum.'Fundamedios', which is also funded by these same ologopolies, simply has little credibility. While no government should get a free pass in media reform, 'Fundamedios' is not an example to be followed.

According to U.S. embassy cables released by WikiLeaks the director of 'Fundamedios' has been a U.S. embassy informant and according an interview with U.S. ambassador Adam Namm in el Telegrafo earlier this year, 'Fundamedios' receives more than $25,000 a month from USAID and other U.S. government bodies.

I will join Herman Schiller in rejecting the Perfil award this year."

http://andes.info.ec/english/6401.html
http://www.perfil.com/contenidos/2012/09/23/noticia_0015.html
http://www.telegrafo.com.ec/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=47247&Itemid=2

Offline mayya

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 16:37:29 PM »
that would be oligopoly julian assange, but in any case, you are talking complete rubbish

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:19:44 AM »
I have to say that Assange really pissed Correa off during the time Ed Snowden was applying for asylum in Ecuador. At that time Correa gave him a very stern warning to refrain from mingling in Ecuadorian government affairs. I wonder at what point will Assange finally go too far....
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear

Offline jujyjuji

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
If for Assange even ISIS accounts should be free of tweeting their death-propaganda I suppose he should at least let the US media free of typing what they want... But he clearly doesn't, specially if they have "even" dared to criticize himself! 
He's prisoner of his own decision of asking asylum to Ecuador: I'm sure as he gets out of there he'll be insulting Ecuador forever like he does with UK, Sweden and US.

According to U.S. embassy cables released by WikiLeaks the director of 'Fundamedios' has been a U.S. embassy informant and according an interview with U.S. ambassador Adam Namm in el Telegrafo earlier this year, 'Fundamedios' receives more than $25,000 a month from USAID and other U.S. government bodies. 

And so? It means nothing. The US aren't the devil and in press freedom are better than Ecuador and many other states. It has nothing to do with wrongdoings committed during the MiddleEastern wars.

Offline J.C

• la plume est plus puissante que l'épée
    • Snowden
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »
RESPONSE BY ASSANGE: (oh ya Lord speak to us)

"I note that...(Oh he noted, HE NOTED, speak on...)

"award is abusing my good name.."(oh your so good your name is so good your good guy from heaven)

"I have researched" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

"denounced my work and that of WikiLeaks" (OMG, they denounced his work and the work of wikileaks HOW CAN THEY HOW!!! HOOOOW!!)

"ologopolies"

[/img]
Assange fears the Pigeon.

https://goo.gl/QjIHja

Offline J.C

• Snowden
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »

Offline jujyjuji

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
LOL! Amen!

RESPONSE BY ASSANGE: (oh ya Lord speak to us)

"I note that...(Oh he noted, HE NOTED, speak on...)

"award is abusing my good name.."(oh your so good your name is so good your good guy from heaven)

"I have researched" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

"denounced my work and that of WikiLeaks" (OMG, they denounced his work and the work of wikileaks HOW CAN THEY HOW!!! HOOOOW!!)

"ologopolies"
" />

2nd: "Don't use the name of Assange and WikiLeaks in vain"

Offline J.C

• Snowden
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
bottom line of this is just that guy just thinks he is the master of everything. I´m pretty sure if he writes an letter to Santa it reads like:

###

"Dear Santa I am Julian Assange but you already know due to my work on Wikileaks which I am the chief editor.
It has come to my attention that some of your Santa's elves use my name to give free gifts to others using your red Christmas sleigh.
I will join you later this year seeing you denounce this actions because I have never approved in using my good name.
I know due to my research you have build an massive ologopolie. I am also aware off that you have very close ties to the U.S.
As far my cables on wikileaks.org show there is no evidence between you and the NSA but I am Julian Assange.
We could celebrate my birthday together but the house is full and I know you don´t like Easter bunny very much.

I guess now after reading this lines above it should be clear to you those elves must be the CIA."

###