Author Topic: Edward Snowden needs to exercise caution before assuming that Signal is safe  (Read 2487 times)

Offline QxStart

Caution before assuming that Signal does not have abackdoor in place.

If you have not you should look at the law put in place in1994 called CALEA -Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act - This is what regulates the telecommunications industry with regards to providing back doors. Under CALEA any company that's part of the industry including hardware manufacturers as well as carriers have to provide a back door. Any company that is a substantial replacement for a telecommunications company has to provide a back door a well and they define a "substantial replacement" by the following: If you can dial a phone number, then that's a substantial replacement, so being that you can call a phone number from a Skype account they have to provide a back door.
 EdwardSnowden should know this and pushing people to Signal is not responsible if in fact they can use your existing phone book and you can dial numbers.

I’m busypromoting a product that has received a 19 page opinion letter 5-years ago on the subject.In this day and age if Apple and Google both US companies are allowing a product that would clearly violate CALEA, you have to ask yourself are they not really violating the law? And is Signal CALEA compliant? Here is a link to CALEA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Assistance_for_Law_Enforcement_Act

Offline Obnoxious Bastard

• Administrator
what product are you promoting ? Even I'm nosey by now :-P

Offline Mister Toast

• Administrator
I Googled around and saw what you're promoting. Nice product but please don't promote it on this forum because it is against our guidelines to promote commercial products

Thank you.

Offline QxStart

No problem I can respect that, if you are looking for more information just let me know I can provide you my email and we can talk off forum

Offline Mister Toast

• Administrator
Sure thing, would love to. You can use the forums PM option to send any administrator information you wish us to review

Looking forward to reading your swag :-)

Offline QxStart

Will do, will have some free time in a couple hours, asthis forum is addicting and using my second computer as I do some work. So yes, in a couple hours will venture out to the PM utility.

Thanks

Offline QxStart

I have given this more thought and looked as some storiesthat have come out and I wanted to take this opportunity to continue to ring the warning bell.

My concern is if you are using Signal because it has to beused on the phone and captures your contacts, the private conversation you think you are having is most likely being listen to. The Kryptos App, yes it does work on phones but on tablets and iPod touch as well. These are devices that do not need to have a cellular service to them and you can talk in total privacy.

http://wemeantwell.com/blog/2015/10/15/snowden-nsa-gchq-using-your-phone-to-spy-on-others-and-you/

My concern is just as stated in this story above, there is alot of people feeling like they are keeping their travels and conversations private but in fact is the US government and others are using the techniques discussed here and if using Signal is encrypted I don’t think the mic being active as it would have to be is delivering it to the party listening in encrypted.

The open source code is great you see the app has nobackdoor, but it does not address the hardware on the device you are using it on.

It’s easy to say “great it’s free” but someone has to payfor the service, and it’s the old adage you get what you pay for, someone is paying for it and that is a concern I would have.