Author Topic: The Most Dangerous Town on the Internet- Video  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
The Most Dangerous Town on the Internet- Video
« on: March 13, 2016, 18:58:04 PM »
What if there were ‘countries’ the size of the average suburban household? What if they had their own rules, laws, and currencies? What if one of them almost brought the entire Internet to its knees? They’re called data havens, and they are the Switzerlands of the Internet: bunkers, caves, and sea fortresses, offering cybercriminals and freedom fighters alike the privacy to conduct unregulated information exchanges, malware attacks, spam dumps, ransomware breaches, and more. Nearly every cybercriminal alive walks these halls, virtually or literally. Here today, gone tomorrow, disappearing and re-emerging, these independent micro-nations are the sole provider of true online privacy, offering 100% anonymity without any government restrictions. Welcome to The Most Dangerous Town on the Internet.
Film provided to The Guardian courtesy of FilmBuff.
Directed by Daniel Junge, Source: FilmBuffThursday 10 March 2016 13.47 EST

• Video in the site below

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2016/mar/10/the-most-dangerous-town-on-the-internet-part-ii-video
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear

Offline Riney

• Support Administrator
Re: The Most Dangerous Town on the Internet- Video
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 22:12:09 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this video. I am getting so many spammy phishing emails these days, these safe havens for cyber criminals have to be where the hackers are hiding. The number of emails go up on a weekly basis. My email service tries to get them all over into the junk file, but there is no way to keep up. I think that who ever had at an earlier time, control over the proliferation of cyber crime.... have lost control of it.

I also find it interesting that Julian Assange had WikiLeaks servers in these types of facilities. His claim that he was the good guy and the governments he was hiding from were the real criminals. But in the video it is implied that mostly criminals are really interested in using these types of facilities.

The Jester makes an appearance at one point and likes bullet proof hosting because he is constantly under attack. He is considered a prominent white hat hacktivist. Apparently governments and corporations are using these facilities if they have a need. So who is to judge who is actually using these facilities and what for?

I like that James Ball says that really the facilities are a bit of theater. That you could really have a secure server no where near a under ground bunker. :-)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 22:18:26 PM by Riney »
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" Anais Nin .. and yet we must arm ourselves with fear