Author Topic: Prosecutors File Fresh Charges in Petrobras Scandal  (Read 1868 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mayya

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 7874
Prosecutors File Fresh Charges in Petrobras Scandal
« on: May 04, 2016, 23:15:28 PM »
Prosecutors File Fresh Charges in Petrobras Scandal

Consultants João Santana and Mônica Moura charged, while former construction magnate Marcel Odebrecht faces fresh allegations

 
João Santana, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff's campaign chief and his wife Mônica Moura, shown above in February. On Thursday, prosecutors filed charges against the couple in connection with a criminal investigation surrounding state-controlled oil company Petróleo Brasileiro. PHOTO: REUTERS

By
LUCIANA MAGALHAES and
 
ROGERIO JELMAYER
April 28, 2016 7:00 p.m. ET0 COMMENTS
SÃO PAULO—Brazilian federal prosecutors on Thursday filed charges against the strategist behind Brazil´s President Dilma Rousseff´s successful electoral campaigns in 2010 and 2014, as well as against the former chief executive of Brazil’s biggest construction company.
The moves came as part of the sprawling criminal investigation surrounding state-owned oil company that has ensnared scores of Brazilian politicians and businessmen.
João Santana and his wife and partner in their consulting firm, Mônica Moura, were charged with corruption, conspiracy and money laundering for allegedly receiving $7.5 million in payments diverted from Petrobras, as the oil company is known, to bank accounts outside Brazil controlled by Mr. Santana. 

Mr. Santana and Ms. Moura, via their representatives, declined to comment on the charges. An attorney for the couple has previously denied any wrongdoing by them.
Ms. Moura and Mr. Santana, who also helped the president´s predecessor, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, win re-election in 2006, have been held in custody since the end of February.
President Rousseff, who could face an impeachment trial in Brazil’s Senate on separate allegations related to her handling of the country’s budget, hasn’t been implicated in the Petrobras scandal.

Prosecutors also filed fresh charges against Marcelo Odebrecht, former boss of construction company Odebrecht SA, for money laundering. While Mr. Odebrecht was heading the company, it set up a unit devoted to the payment of bribes to win contracts with Petrobras, according to the charges.
“Odebrecht did not use (go-betweens) very often, it had its own subsidiary to make payments to politicians and Petrobras employees,” prosecutor Antonio Carlos Welter said.
The company had no comment on the new charges against its former chief executive.
And Mr. Odebrecht in the past has denied any wrongdoing. Earlier this year, a Brazilian judge sentenced Mr. Odebrecht to 19 years in prison on separate charges for his involvement in the corruption scandal.
Authorities say some of Brazil’s largest construction firms, including Odebrecht, skimmed billions of dollars from Petrobras through inflated contracts, channeling some of the funds to Mrs. Rousseff’s ruling Workers’ Party and its allies in a yearslong pay-to-play scheme.
Odebrecht SA has said it is ready to collaborate with authorities investigating the Petrobras scandal.

Write to Luciana Magalhaes at [email protected] Rogerio Jelmayer at [email protected]



http://www.wsj.com/articles/prosecutors-file-fresh-charges-in-petrobras-scandal-1461884433