Author Topic: Is climate catastrophe inevitable?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline margoelena

Is climate catastrophe inevitable?
« on: March 06, 2011, 13:31:28 PM »
Climate change and its disastrous effects are undeniable... unless you're a profit-motivated oil company representative.  Experts say that we need to get the CO2 count down to 350 PPM in order to avoid "runaway climate change"... right now, we're at 388.  What do you think -- can mankind avoid a climate catastrophe by reducing emissions, or is it inevitable?  In other words, are we screwed?

http://www.350.org/

Exdefensecontractor

Re: Is climate catastrophe inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
Not to under estimate our need and responsibility to not abuse our earth ..... I think we do sometimes underestimate the sheer power of mother nature to cleanse itself including purging us mere mortal humans should she need to do so.

I do believe that it is only recent on the grand scale that we have begun to record and study weather.... We really don't have a clear understanding of weather .... We have learned lots .... But there is plenty we still do not understand. Over the past 50 years we have had sensational scares about the changing weather, contradictory in each decade. We simply do not have enough data yet to state emphatically what is normal.

Don't get me wrong .... I recycle .... And I am pissed that the ecar escaped us, and I plan on being off the power grid .... Solar and wind all the way .......... I just think we will be okay so long as we smarten up.

Offline lizrex

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
I think we'll run out of oil before we ruin the world.  <3

Offline Guy Thorium Green

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
my answer to this question,for what its worth,i would split into two
in the long term,  yes  ,think of the earths history,snowball earth to the cretaceous greenhouse,when there was little or no ice around ,either of these would be catastrophic to most species alive today.
in the short term , i`m thinking ,   probably   ,don`t get me wrong, if we chose to change our ways today,and stopped releasing the stored carbon dioxide and other gasses  that took  100million years or more to lay down,of which we have already  released a large chunk in just the last 100years ,then yes the earth might recover ,much reduced in flora and  fauna,and genetic diversity,but really , barring an epic plague on humanity,i don`t think we have the time.
on youtube, if you search under thorium reactors,or LFTR liquid fluoride thorium reactors ,there are some quite long  but fairly easy to understand videos about  thorium reactors   and  how they  can be a cheap clean and safe {particularly appropriate at the moment}  form of nuclear power,which can gobble up all other forms of nuclear fuels including  uranium and plutonium give us energy while leaving us with radioactive waste with a half life of not 500,000years+, but 300 years, much more manageable ,what fusion has promised but never delivered.
please watch the aforementioned videos and for those science buffs out there please tell me if  i`ve got this wrong,i would hate to find out that this is all BS
all hail wikileaks ,at last a good and true use for the internet

Offline routefire

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 14:16:47 PM »
I think we'll run out of oil before we ruin the world.  <3

Exactly! That's what I have been trying to tell everybody. The problem must be seen in the context of an energy crisis rather than a climate crisis.

I am not sure about the climate, but if we don't work seriously on alt. energy sources, 50 years from now we're Doomed.
We were bright sensitive kids who didn't fit into the dominant subculture and fiercely castigated those who did as irredeemable boneheads.

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »

me too.    if we have plug in  Electric cars  they are still  sucking up energy from power plants -   the batteries in  cars like the Prius are highly toxic and  they  have not give me  much  hope  they will  be recycles and  kept out of the  general  waste/water.   

I saw a  partially solar powered car   the Zebra,  17% of the energy from a solar panel on the roof.......the solar panels are  still heavy and so they are not realistic for  100% or close   source of  fuel.   

I do the best I can  to be green but  travel for me is not optional. :-(

>>" I plan on being off the power grid "
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them

Offline Guy Thorium Green

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 14:02:00 PM »

Offline aMUSICsite

• Hello world
    • A great Gambian (West African) band.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 14:31:02 PM »
We still don't really know the effect of all the pollution to date. So I will say yes. Humans will screw up the climate.
My YouTube stuff
Lots of music and random stuff I've filmed/made.
My Picasa stuff
Pictures I've taken or made.