Author Topic: May 20, Sydney: Event "Who’s Afraid of Wikileaks?"  (Read 4220 times)

Fanyajuu

May 20, Sydney: Event "Who’s Afraid of Wikileaks?"
« on: May 01, 2011, 16:59:18 PM »
Event: Who’s Afraid of Wikileaks?

Sydney Writers Festival – Words. To Live By 16th -22nd May 2011

If you live in Sydney or are planning on visiting for the Sydney’s Writers Festival, make sure you get along to the panel discussion on Wikileaks at the Sydney Town Hall on
Friday the 20 May 2011, 6.00 – 7.30 pm.

Details of panel participants and links to more information are below, tickets are only $20/$15 and this is an excellent panel line up.  

-WACA-

Who’s Afraid of Wikileaks?

A political movement or a media organisation? A risk to national security or the open government we need?
Is Julian Assange a hero or a traitor?

Suelette Dreyfus is the author of 1997 book ‘Underground’, an investigation of the hacking world researched by Assange himself.
Guy Rundle has covered WikiLeaks since the beginning.
UK journalist Barbara Gunnell zeroes in on Assange’s role as whistleblower.
Robert Manne uncovers the high-minded ideals and anarchist influences on Assange and WikiLeaks.
In his brand-new book, Andrew Fowler tracks how Julian Assange became “the most dangerous man in the world”.

They dissect the Assange myth, the role of WikiLeaks in our democracy, and ask what we’ve got to be so afraid of.

More information on the the event:
http://wikileaksaustraliancitizensalliance.net/2011/04/20/event-whos-afraid-of-wikileaks/

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 17:04:15 PM by Fanyajuu »

Flavia

Re: May 20, Sydney: Event "Who’s Afraid of Wikileaks?"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 20:16:49 PM »
it's a pity that Sydney is so out of the way for me.I hope some video or transcription will be available.

Offline Nina

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
Hashtag #swf136 on twitter to follow this event.

Offline tabula rasa

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Thanks Nina! As it's on now, I'm gonna head to twitter to check out the tweets!
There is a certain dramatic irony attached to all this. A synchronicity that borders on predestination, one might say.

Offline CassPF

• Digital archivist and recordkeeper
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 15:06:44 PM »
So I've just got home from the Who's afraid of WikiLeaks? event for Sydney Writers Festival with Suelette Dreyfus, Robert Manne, Andrew Fowler, Guy Rundle et al. Use #swf136 to see live tweets. Was some good discussion, especially since last few questions all revolved around questions of the role & meaning of archives (my profession and passion - as well as WL of course). @CassPF

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 22:57:58 PM »
So I've just got home from the Who's afraid of WikiLeaks? event for Sydney Writers Festival with Suelette Dreyfus, Robert Manne, Andrew Fowler, Guy Rundle et al. Use #swf136 to see live tweets. Was some good discussion, especially since last few questions all revolved around questions of the role & meaning of archives (my profession and passion - as well as WL of course). @CassPF

The role of archives interests me as well.   Would you share the panels view on archives?
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them

Offline CassPF

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
It was a really interesting discussion around the shift from paper based recordkeeping and how the move to digital information has changed the controls that the State has over how information is processed and released. When you had physical documents there were ways with resources and power to exercise great control over how they were disseminated. Not so much in the online environment. Also, the rapid spreading of information via the internet has made a mockery of the '30 year rule', which applies to the closure of government records in most Western democracies. Paul Barratt, the faciliatator and an ex Defence Force man pointed out that in his experience much of what is restricted under this rule need not be. Guy Rundle made some very good points about the change that could now be occurring, from a State controlled archive to an archive of truth that the citizens can influence and shape themselves.

In my view, archivists like me need to understand this shift and influence the next generation of archives legislation to better fit with the online world, more open government and the public's expectations of access to records.

I know there was an audio recording made of this panel - see @NOH8ER's Twitter stream. Plus I organised an event in Sydney in March that you might be interested in - see http://recordkeepingroundtable.org

All the best
Cassie

Offline uncensored

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 22:53:18 PM »
It was a really interesting discussion around the shift from paper based recordkeeping and how the move to digital information has changed the controls that the State has over how information is processed and released. When you had physical documents there were ways with resources and power to exercise great control over how they were disseminated. Not so much in the online environment. Also, the rapid spreading of information via the internet has made a mockery of the '30 year rule', which applies to the closure of government records in most Western democracies. Paul Barratt, the faciliatator and an ex Defence Force man pointed out that in his experience much of what is restricted under this rule need not be. Guy Rundle made some very good points about the change that could now be occurring, from a State controlled archive to an archive of truth that the citizens can influence and shape themselves.

In my view, archivists like me need to understand this shift and influence the next generation of archives legislation to better fit with the online world, more open government and the public's expectations of access to records.

I know there was an audio recording made of this panel - see @NOH8ER's Twitter stream. Plus I organised an event in Sydney in March that you might be interested in - see http://recordkeepingroundtable.org

All the best
Cassie

Thank you 
Archivist could  be a new kind of  high priestess -   staying free of  loyalty  to any  individual or organization  to record history  without  bigotry or  affection -
Someday  people will watch history played out  -  all the video of  the current revolts for example -  Future historians will have more then
 dusty books to keep them company.

Offline CassPF

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
Love the idea of archivists as high priestesses:-)
Yes the Q of whether archivists can operate 'without bigotry or affection' is an interesting one. In our work we are charged with determining what should be recorded as well as what should be preserved.. And of course we do so thru the lens of our own or out govt's politics, personal biases. We have an 'agenda' - that word that is often used to attack WL .
But I think we ae entering a phase where technology can allow the citizenry a much greater say in what is kept and why..

Offline uncensored

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 21:07:09 PM »
Love the idea of archivists as high priestesses:-)
Yes the Q of whether archivists can operate 'without bigotry or affection' is an interesting one. In our work we are charged with determining what should be recorded as well as what should be preserved.. And of course we do so thru the lens of our own or out govt's politics, personal biases. We have an 'agenda' - that word that is often used to attack WL .
But I think we ae entering a phase where technology can allow the citizenry a much greater say in what is kept and why..

Well we will have to get some white robes  or the like  if you go the priestess  road. ;-)

There will be choices ahead about  how uninvolved  archivist will be.
Perhaps there will be  various kinds of archivist, some  keeping a neutral watch over  information  and other  having a loyalty to their  country or groups  ideal of information  archiving.

I like the high Priestest  discription as well.  Fits  a similar function of the clergy  in its best sense.

Offline Franklin

• Freedom
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 21:33:17 PM »
Wikileakes is a benefit for aur society, not a freat, but a diferente form of view Freedom in diferent places and continents
TEMOS  QUE ENDURECER, PERO SIN PERDER LA TERNURA JAMÁIS

CHÉ GUEVARA

Offline Franklin

• Freedom
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 21:45:12 PM »
With Peace in our minds, Freedom can be always something positive
TEMOS  QUE ENDURECER, PERO SIN PERDER LA TERNURA JAMÁIS

CHÉ GUEVARA

Offline uncensored

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »

You may like this book I picked up today about the role of  Librarians and Cybrarians . I just had time to  read  the covers -  The author makes a case for  Librarians and Cybrarians  as keepers of  archives

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Overdue-Librarians-Cybrarians/dp/0061431605

Offline CassPF

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 13:16:26 PM »
Thanks! :-)

Offline uncensored

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 18:09:32 PM »
Thanks! :-)
Welcome -    Why  do you use the term  "archivist"  rather then  Librarian ?   Do you see your function as being  distinct  from librarians?