Author Topic: Australia: Splendour in the Grass Festival - 29-31 July 2011  (Read 4545 times)

Fanyajuu

Splendour in the Grass - 2011
Friday 29, Saturday 30 and Sunday 31 July
'Woodfordia'
Woodrow Rd
Via Woodford, Queensland

Perry Farrell, Julian Assange’s mother Christine and Wil Anderson join more than 50 musicians, comedians, film-makers, writers, artists, actors, tech geeks, politicians and scientists as they debate today’s hottest issues, voice opinions, inspire and entertain at Splendour Forum, the festival’s live discussion program, 10am-4pm daily.

Panel:
“Big Brother v Little Brother: From Government and Big Business to WikiLeaks and Anonymous, Who Really Controls Our Online Secrets?"

Christine Assange
headlines a panel exploring internet freedom and her son’s extraordinary role. Are faceless hackers conquering the worId by stealth from their laptops or helping pioneer a global political, social and cultural revolution by exposing corruption? Why has Julian Assange been labeled “the most dangerous man in the world” while human rights organisations shower him with awards? And what does it all mean for us - the internet-dependent citizens of the world – when governments can censor content and our bank accounts and phones can be hacked?

The Chaser’s Julian Morrow moderates a tech-wise panel including Hungry Beast tech geeks Marc Fennell and Nick Hayden; IT research fellow Dr Suelette Dreyfus, who co-wrote Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier with Julian Assange in 1997 about his early days in Melbourne's hacking scene; internet security analyst and podcaster Patrick Gray; Julian Assange’s Australian lawyer Grace Morgan; and his campaigning mother Christine as they examine the various forces wrestling for control of our online lives.

Tickets on sale now.

http://splendourinthegrass.com/#news/items/the-splendour-forum-returns-for-2011.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 13:59:50 PM by Fanyajuu »

Fanyajuu

Re: Australia: Splendour in the Grass Festival - 29-31 July 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 22:51:48 PM »
Assange message to be played at Splendour in the Grass
Updated July 21, 2011 05:54:08

Julian Assange will appear at Splendour In The Grass via a pre-recorded video message from his house arrest in Britain.

The Australian WikiLeaks editor will address revellers at the festival at Woodford, north of Brisbane in south-east Queensland, as part of a daytime debate forum on July 29, a statement from Splendour In The Grass said.

Assange will discuss the WikiLeaks cables scandal, including his arrest and what it means for young people in Australia and around the world.

His mother Christine will feature as part of a discussion panel with his Australian lawyer Grace Morgan, long-time colleague and co-author Dr Suelette Dreyfus, leading IT security analyst Patrick Gray and ABC TV's Hungry Beast presenters Marc Fennell and Nick Hayden.

"Splendour Forum is bringing together some of the people in Australia who are closest to Julian and who are aware of what's going on behind the scenes," Mrs Assange said.

"This is a unique opportunity to hear directly from these people the stories the mainstream media has suppressed and the things they don't want you to know."

The panel - titled Big Brother v Little Brother: From Government and Big Business to WikiLeaks and Anonymous, Who Really Controls Our Online Secrets? - will be moderated by ABC TVs The Chaser's Julian Morrow.

AAP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-20/assange-to-appear-at-splendour-in-the-grass/2803334?section=entertainment

Voda

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 14:51:26 PM »
 ;)

Splendour in the Grassange as Julian rallies festival crowd

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange delivered a rallying cry to Splendour in the Grass attendees today as his mother called on festivalgoers to pressure Australian politicians into preventing her son's extradition to the US.

Mr Assange delivered a pre-recorded video message to the Big Brother v Little Brother: Who Controls our Only Secrets? forum, which featured his mother Christine as well as his Australian lawyer as part of an unusually political addition to this year's music festival line-up.

Hosted by The Chaser's Julian Morrow, the forum went on to debate whether Mr Assange's group was the leader of a growing trend of leaking classified information on the internet or had developed into a prominent brand driven by a cult of personality.

It was Assange's appearance that stole the show, with the Australian, currently under house arrest in London, proclaiming that the current generation was “burning the mass media to the ground”.

“We're reclaiming our rights to all of history,” he said to the crowd.

“We're ripping open the secret archives from Washington to Cairo.”

Recalling his time growing up in Byron Bay, the traditional Splendour site, Mr Assange said he had always attempted to reach a nearby lighthouse while playing, an analogy he used to describe his group's attempts to uncover corruption and secrecy in global institutions.

“We don't know yet exactly where we are but we can see where we are going,” he said.

“The change in perspective that has happened over the last year is what our generation is going to use to find our lighthouse.

“And when we get there we'll turn the f---ing spotlight on.”

Technology journalist Patrick Scott argued the WikiLeaks site was a great resource for the leaking of classified information, but was hardly the leader or the only means of distributing leaked documents online.

He said Wikileaks was just the most prominent group in the mainstream.

Mrs Assange urged Splendour festivalgoers to ask their local politicians to ensure the WikiLeaks founder was not extradited to the US and that he was treated fairly during current legal hearings in England.

Following a provocative question from Morrow she also joked about who would play her in a WikiLeaks movie.

“Somebody good looking,” she said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/music/splendour-in-the-grassange-as-julian-rallies-festival-crowd-20110729-1i3qp.html

Flavia

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 23:52:13 PM »
well said Christine! never miss your sense of humour!

Offline MademoiselleMercurielle

• Magnificently confused
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
If his intention was to appeal to the hip young whippersnappers, I'll say mission successful. That vid was beautiful!  ;D
We are the Universe learning about itself.

Offline Helene

• the world is not enough
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 23:26:19 PM »

:D        here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSbg2XIv7A&feature=player_detailpage#t=60s

Flavia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
lovely video  :)
I mean, he looks more at ease when he's not obliged to be dressed like a city manager and he talks in a more relaxed way.

Offline Helene

• the world is not enough
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 17:41:07 PM »

I mean, he looks more at ease when he's not obliged to be dressed like a city manager and he talks in a more relaxed way.

That was exactly what I thought.      O:)

Nomad112

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 18:03:10 PM »
I agree with the two of you.
The video was wonderful!

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 19:50:34 PM »
nice vid. more at ease without the tie. :)

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.

William Wordsworth

(Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood, 175-186)http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poet/363.html
Without action good ideas are wasted electricity.

Flavia

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 20:05:31 PM »
thank you Symmetry for quoting Wordsworth, whose poem inspired the festival
and, in my opinion, JA's speech.

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 19:01:41 PM »
You're welcome and I agree.  :)

Without action good ideas are wasted electricity.

Flavia

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 15:47:13 PM »
by the way...what a funny coincidence: the 2 rocky peaks located 2 km off shore from Byron Bay are called Julian Rocks  ;D
http://www.julianrocks.net/Theory2/History.php
http://www.byron-bay-beaches.com/julian-rocks-marine-reserve.html

(Australia Tourism Office should pay me a fee!  ;D)

Offline MademoiselleMercurielle

• Magnificently confused
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »

That was exactly what I thought.      O:)

He doesn't look so much like a politician! I miss Julian the hopeless romantic. Doesn't make me feel so naive for giving this world a chance.

Symmetry, that was wonderful  :D Thank you.

Flavia, that is pretty awesome. In the future, they may think they're named after you-know-who!  :P
We are the Universe learning about itself.

Offline tabula rasa

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »
I definitely like the more candid speeches from JA, agree he comes across less politician-like in this one :)

I was only at BB lighthouse last month - still just stunning - and still very windy lol!
There is a certain dramatic irony attached to all this. A synchronicity that borders on predestination, one might say.