Author Topic: New Forum Upgrade and new Design  (Read 2116 times)

Z

New Forum Upgrade and new Design
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »
Before I continue I would like to thank . ( dot ) for informing and helping members during the small collapse we had yesterday.....so thanks dot !

As some of us may know, the forum crashed yesterday and as timed passed we realized that this wasn't ( as first reported ) due to any hack attack or the such.

Here is what really happened: against all odds, a very unlucky catalog of events all happened simultaneously.

This form upgrade was supposed to take place on Saturday morning and was planned for 00.30 on 06.08.11.

What I didn't know was that the support tech from SMF was already downloading the database and updating files in the background. Normally this isn't a big issue but by some freak of nature the " source files " were deleted. This meant the forum software couldn't contact the database.

All the sudden I was being flooded with complaints from members which prompted me to open the forum to see what was happening. The first thing I saw was a big announcement ( in red ) stating the " FORUM HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN BECAUSE OF COPYRIGHT ISSUES ".

After the initial panic had set in I commenced with the protocol for an attack on the forum which means resetting ALL passwords for server access which means server control panel, MYSQL Database etc etc. ( Remember, I had no clue the tech guy was working on the site already.)

This is when the chaos set in. The deletion process had been activated already and file by file, the forum software was being taken down.

Whilst all this was happening it never dawned on me that the tech guy had commenced his work, as we had planned to to this at a later date. So I got in touch with him and asked him what was going on and he explained to me that a few files had gone missing. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the forum was restored and no data was lost.

The new software is versatile and offers many new features.

I have spent all day installing new mods for anti-spam bots etc etc and also installed a 3 new pages up top in your main menu.

These are:
CALENDER
STAFF LIST
CONTACT

In the next few days more will be added and we still have some tweeking to do, etc., the background logos, smiles packs for postings. etc

I'm sorry for the hour downtime yesterday but hope you all like the new upgrade and the new forum design.

Just to recap once more. No data has been lost and all your private details like e mails addresses remain untouched

Z