Author Topic: How to get new members more active in the forum  (Read 6681 times)

greekemmy

How to get new members more active in the forum
« on: October 14, 2011, 22:51:39 PM »
Some years back when I was member of an International Women's Club in Hiroshima we had a Welcoming Comittee for new members.  The new members would get a tour of the town, best places to shop, to entertain children, a lot of useful information as well as tips what activities the club offered. 

This made me think that something like this might be of use to the forum. Of course we already have the excellent chatterbox as a first port of call and the moderators are all very approachable and helpful. But it is worth considering that new members get a little more attention as soon as they join to get them to understand where to find what may interest them, how to post, or the different basic functions.

How do you translate this Welcoming Committee idea in the virtual world? certainly not give more work to volunteers, while working for the club I became familiar with the term "donor fatigue".

I imagine it to be like attending a powerpoint presentation on what the forum is about and how it works. Even better, something like a tutorial on youtube part of what the forum is about (mission statement etc) but mostly how to navigate and use the forum as well as ettiquette. It does not have to cover all areas of the forum since once a member has more confidence they can explore by themselves. Go through some of the Boards for example or the all important "how to post", "how to attach a photo/video/link", when and how to use the chatterbox, what browser to use to view the chatterbox dialogue etc.

Once a new member joins they can be sent an authomatic personal message maybe with a youtube link for example or a pdf file or other simple format so this message does not become accessible only to people with ability to download youtube links. It could start as a simple pilot scheme and you can see how it works.

Ofcourse there will be many people who may view this as totally unnecessary as they are super internet bloggers and posters but it might give people who joined just as an act of support for WL a helping hand to get a little more involved.

Frankly I remember that I got and e-mail when I joined In March but I can't remember what was in it (apart from log in details I think).

Just an idea  :)

Offline Hellfirechaser

• Be Quick or Be Dead
Re: How to get new members more active in the forum
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »
Frankly I remember that I got and e-mail when I joined In March but I can't remember what was in it (apart from log in details I think).

Just an idea  :)

This "Welcome email" with login details can be modified to incorporate what you suggest here .

Unimatrix 01

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
Nice idea!
What I think is even more important, to get more forum members.
Especially within the 'Multilingual Discussions' section.

JS49

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi I am new to this forum..I love being 'in here' but it would be nice if there was some discussion in the chat room or maybe somewhere you actually send messages like you do on FB.  It would be nice to have a sense of belonging to a group of like minded people. 
I will try to explain where I am coming from.  I totally support Wikileaks and J.A. and I am disgusted in the way the Aus Gov has (or the PM) has said things that are incorrect or outright lies..not in accordance with law..he has not committed any crime or been charged with any crime.  etc...that's what I understand..my goal is to find information to prove Wikileaks is on the right track and show the hypocrisy of politicians..U.S. and here etc and spread it around.  I get the feeling this is more of a fund raising site which is important but there are other things to do.  I would like to go to a protest rally, buy a bumper sticker, maybe even letter box..etc...just some ideas... 8)

greekemmy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
Hi JS49 :) I think you might find this a good place to be: 

https://wlfriends.org/

It is not active yet but will be at some point soon.

There are many events advertised here at the "Event Calendar" section here:

http://www.wikileaks-forum.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

and of course the shop sells lots of stickers:

http://wikileaks.spreadshirt.com/

This is such an international forum, quite an ambitious scope really, it maybe difficult to find someone from the same town as you, make friends and have a buddy to go to events with etc. but because we are all "virtual" here, there is no space between us and that is very comforting and inspiring, so I feel what divides us (space) also brings us together. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do and find lots of interesting news and conversations here. :) 

Offline anon1984

• Demons run when a good man goes to war.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 00:35:23 AM »
True, there's nothing called "FAQ" here - but if you look around a bit you should find answers here...depending on what questions you have.
You can find answers to frequent technical questions in the help section here. And if that's not what you're looking for, there's an entire Technical Support board where you can post and we do our best to answer your questions :)

Other than that, there are Guidelines which you can check whenever you're unsure as to what you can do on this Forum and in the chat and what you can't.
And finally, there's the Important Forum Announcements board. Keep an eye on that, it's the place where we post...well, Important Forum Announcements ;D
These can be merely an information (such as "Other WikiLeaks Plattforms" have been moved) but also statements regarding Forum policy, such as this here.

We actually hope that answers to important questions can be found on these boards - if there are questions unanswered though, we're always happy to discuss and answer them  :)
[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is.
- Winston Churchill

Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke. - Joss Whedon