Author Topic: Interesting links and video clips  (Read 166536 times)

Offline uncensored

• Good-Men do not create victims - they protect them
Re: Interesting links and video clips
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 23:17:07 PM »
 hosborn  re : usa health care

I have some training in this field- hard to be a part of a system that requries you to label people (even if it is a wrong lable) because  it is the only way to get insurance to cover your care.   Doctors with depression and other illnesses  do not seek help because  they do not want a  paper trail of their personal  health records that  could be used to  block their careers.    The health system is a huge collector of personal information and  that information can  be used  against a persons best interest.

I want to see every person covered but never could I see  our Gov being
the holder of such power.   We need a system that is governed by  the public  and  very transparent as to how it functions.  We already see the abuse of power in the USA Gov...they are not the solution to health care as they are one and the same as the   "health" corporations that  make money on  human suffering.   We need an option  to create something that brings back privacy for patients and  transparency for Health Care systems and their Governing Boards and policies.
Good-Men  do not create victims - they comfort and defend them

Offline hosborn

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 22:58:14 PM by hosborn »
Helen

Love my banner made by lizrex

Offline hosborn

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2011, 23:07:23 PM »
Helen

Offline hosborn

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2011, 23:12:31 PM »
Helen

Offline hosborn

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2011, 23:17:10 PM »
Helen

Offline hosborn

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2011, 23:42:27 PM »
Helen

Offline uncensored

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 23:44:02 PM »
hosborn  RE australian  health care
      Does your System also cover  mental health and  dental health? If so,  is it adequate?    Are  patient records private or can the Gov  access them for any reason?     Do employers  offer health plans  or is  there no need as the Gov  system  covers everyone  and  all health needs?

That may be to many ?'s  but  I wonder how citizens in such a system  perceive it's benefit.   In the USA  some are quick to  point to other countires with Gov ruled health system  and to  use that as a template for  us to follow.  

Offline hosborn

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 00:25:46 AM »
Australian medicare

If you have an accident or serious illness you get really good free health care and don't need private cover. In fact if you are in a private hospital and something really bad happens and you get very ill you get transferred to a government hospital.

Our medicare covers everything except dental.... but it does cover dental for people on unemployment or disability benefits or aged pension.  For those people there is quite a wait though.

Mental health is completely covered here in fact as a person who works in a government acute mental health service we joke that the private system is only for the pampered 'worried well' and the really mentally ill are treated in the government system, this is certainly the case in the city I work in, where anyone with the slightest psychosis or risk to themselves or others, is transferred to us from the private service.

We pay 2 - 3% tax for medicare our taxes are higher than in the US. I pay 25 cents in the dollar and it scales up as I earn more than $50,000. (http://www.taxcalc.com.au/) We have 10% goods and services tax on all but food and essential items, but also we have salary packaging that allows me to not pay tax on $17,000 that I can use for mortgage, credit card, eating out etc. Our wages are comparably higher.  I earn over $100.000 a year and that is comparative with most level 1 nurses who work shift work... I have chosen to stay as a level 1 clinical nurse and not venture upward as the political crap as you climb the ladder does not suit me at all.  Our dollar is comparative to the US dollar.  However house prices here are way dearer than in the US  about three times the price and I believe food is dearer here too, certainly eating out is dearer here.  Average meal at McDonalds is $10 per person.

Unemployment here is 5% unemployed get benefits.

And I have raved on and given you information I'm sure you don't want :)
Helen

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:52:09 AM by hosborn »
Helen

Offline uncensored

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
Wow  I loved reading your post  and plan to read your links in depth 
  In the USA  one state   Massachuettes ( Boston is in Massachusettes)
  did  create a  state health care system  to cover everyone. And it is a mess.  I have many medical prof. in my family  so I heard all their experiences of the health care mandate. 

I do think universal coverage is great  but US Gov is soooooo  filled with
 backroom deals to profit businesses  and just corruption on a grand scale.

I would like to see a citizen board that was out of the  reach of any Gov.  influence,   to over see a universal coverage (that would not be mandated  but  everyone that wanted it  could have it) 

They fine people   three thousand $$ now if they do not buy insurance.
  Mitt Romney was the Governor that create this system and he now wants to run for president.  Many people think  his failed health care plan will  be the  reason  the public will not vote for him.    The idea is good but having a  guy like  Romney who is very  much  a part of the elite CEO's of business  it only makes sense he would be sure the health care created more  clients for  business.     To me, the plan  was invented for businesses not to ensure all people have  good health care.

I have family in Germany and they tell me they pay 50% of their pay to the Gov for taxes......they do say German health care is very good.
Still  to loose half your  salary  to tax.

My friends in Canada  enjoy Gov healthcare, but  some  would rather have a system where they could  choose their own Doctors  and some from  Canada come to the USA  for health care.   

Is there a country with  the best Health Care system in the world?
I am sure some group  has graded  the systems in each country.
 I have heard Costa Rica  has an excellent  health care system....that was from a course I took on  countries that were most  friendly to supporting healthy families. 

It sounds like Australia has a good one.  Would you change your health care  system in any way?

I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_health_care_reform

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000147-503544.html

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2011/02/huckabee_critic.html

Mitt Romney responds to critques

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2011/02/mitt-romney-no-apology-for-individual-health-care-mandate.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2698903/posts

Australian medicare

If you have an accident or serious illness you get really good free health care and don't need private cover. In fact if you are in a private hospital and something really bad happens and you get very ill you get transferred to a government hospital.

Our medicare covers everything except dental.... but it does cover dental for people on unemployment or disability benefits or aged pension.  For those people there is quite a wait though.

Mental health is completely covered here in fact as a person who works in a government acute mental health service we joke that the private system is only for the pampered 'worried well' and the really mentally ill are treated in the government system, this is certainly the case in the city I work in, where anyone with the slightest psychosis or risk to themselves or others, is transferred to us from the private service.

We pay 2 - 3% tax for medicare our taxes are higher than in the US. I pay 25 cents in the dollar and it scales up as I earn more than $50,000. (http://www.taxcalc.com.au/) We have 10% goods and services tax on all but food and essential items, but also we have salary packaging that allows me to not pay tax on $17,000 that I can use for mortgage, credit card, eating out etc. Our wages are comparably higher.  I earn over $100.000 a year and that is comparative with most level 1 nurses who work shift work... I have chosen to stay as a level 1 clinical nurse and not venture upward as the political crap as you climb the ladder does not suit me at all.  Our dollar is comparative to the US dollar.  However house prices here are way dearer than in the US  about three times the price and I believe food is dearer here too, certainly eating out is dearer here.  Average meal at McDonalds is $10 per person.

Unemployment here is 5% unemployed get benefits.

And I have raved on and given you information I'm sure you don't want :)

Offline hosborn

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
uncensored I forgot to answer your question re confidentiality, we have strict confidentiality in Aus.  A person can access their own health file but it take around 25 days to organize and they have to view it in the presence of a health employee.  They can photocopy etc.

I think the Aus system is pretty good but you really are better to have health insurance in case you have to have elective surgery such as knee surgery or other non life threatening conditions tended to.  If you have private health insurance you can chose your own doctor in Aus. I'll check your links tomorrow thanks for sending them :)
Helen

Offline hosborn

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 13:21:05 PM »
Helen

Offline hosborn

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2011, 14:18:18 PM »
Helen