Author Topic: Concerning ALL CAPS  (Read 5399 times)

Offline runa

• Kerstin
Concerning ALL CAPS
« on: March 16, 2011, 00:45:25 AM »
Hi folks,

I know how tempting it is to use ALL CAPS in the middle of a discussion somtimes..

I can assure you that most mods are highly allergic to be screamed at in this fashion  ;D

or anybody else for this matter - try to minimalize the use therefore, out of common curtesy.

I would also like to ask you not to "HIGHLIGHT" your own thread

by typing the title  in ALL CAPS...it is annoying because everybody think their thread is important.

Try to fly under my radar if you can.  ;D I might simply moderate all ALL CAP titles into size..

Thanks for your understanding,

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 00:47:02 AM by runa »

Offline Angel without wings

• I have nothing to hide, so nothing to declare.�
Re: Concerning ALL CAPS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:33:49 AM »
Indeed rune, we really want is to draw attention to the word or the subject, not for me.

But if a rule is, let's respect it ... the extent possible. Therefore, when necessary, I think it is logical to use. ;D
I have nothing to hide, so nothing to declare.  Since all I do is explicit on the Internet, so there is fact to be revealed. My live it public.

Offline Blue

• All for one and one for all
    • Industrial Design Consulting - Blueformdesign
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
What about excessive exclamation marks? !!!!! just kidding :) but they are annoying though I find
Thank you for taking the time to read what I have written. If I should happen to have offended anyone, please be assured it was not my intention. I understand that both language translations, and the lack of face to face can lead to misunderstandings. Please accept my apologies in these events.

Offline Angel without wings

• I have nothing to hide, so nothing to declare.�
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
Sure, excessive punctuation is a custom of Brazilians...  really annoying. >:(

But we must express ourselves well so that there are other interpretations.

Example - I think in Portuguese, I want to convey in English or another language if  do not know the language want to expose my idea, I risk being misunderstood.

So the translation the translator is risky, because not fully reflected  the idea of the text. I've read translation errors complicated.

So care to use the translator, if not they have minimal knowledge of the language.

Good Weekend

;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:45:02 PM by Cláudia Fanaia Dorst »
I have nothing to hide, so nothing to declare.  Since all I do is explicit on the Internet, so there is fact to be revealed. My live it public.

Offline ladyo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 13:39:00 PM »
Oh for christ sakes.  All u have to concern yourself is about the size of the blessed font.  Sixteen people r in the custody of our not so human rights oriented government.   And all u can worry about is the caps issue.

Offline Nefn

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 13:46:47 PM »
I would say it is wise to consider unfortunate  implications of poorly formatted text as a general concern. I for one dislike reading poorly formatted text to such a degree that I easily decide to avoid reading the text at all, and I think others probably do react the same way as well.

As for all caps text, I will argue that all caps letters make a sentence harder to read.

I used bold text in a forum post recently (a couple of words), because I made the decision to sort of try to point out and underline what I thought of was important despite having already written alot of text around some issues. This was for me an innovative way of going beyond what is common.

I have long since forgotten what I learned at school for when typing letters with a typewriter, but I do have noticed the difficulty in making long texts look nice and presentable, if the text contain lots of headlines and paragraphs. I believe an aesthetic consideration is in order even with or without a strategic use of spacing, bold, italic, underline or all caps. So without really having some set of rules, I personally spend some time experimenting with what might look the best in the end.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 13:56:24 PM by Nefn »

Z

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 15:40:17 PM »
I would say it is wise to consider unfortunate  implications of poorly formatted text as a general concern. I for one dislike reading poorly formatted text to such a degree that I easily decide to avoid reading the text at all, and I think others probably do react the same way as well.

As for all caps text, I will argue that all caps letters make a sentence harder to read.

I used bold text in a forum post recently (a couple of words), because I made the decision to sort of try to point out and underline what I thought of was important despite having already written alot of text around some issues. This was for me an innovative way of going beyond what is common.

I have long since forgotten what I learned at school for when typing letters with a typewriter, but I do have noticed the difficulty in making long texts look nice and presentable, if the text contain lots of headlines and paragraphs. I believe an aesthetic consideration is in order even with or without a strategic use of spacing, bold, italic, underline or all caps. So without really having some set of rules, I personally spend some time experimenting with what might look the best in the end.

I couldn't have put that better myself........nice post +1

Offline Annika

• Information warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 00:56:50 AM »
Oh for christ sakes.  All u have to concern yourself is about the size of the blessed font.  Sixteen people r in the custody of our not so human rights oriented government.   And all u can worry about is the caps issue.

I disagree with you there. Of course you're right that there are important things we should concern ourselves with. But if we want to effectively share ideas and knowledge in this forum, we should have a few rules how to treat each other and how to express our ideas or it won't work. So I think our mods are quite right in trying to remind people to use respectful language and proper formatting so everyone is willing and able to read what is posted. Blue, too, is right about the exclamation marks. Using those excessively is just immature and annoying. As we say here in Germany "punctuation signs aren't herd animals".

Offline 11cups

• New Member Group
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 16:16:42 PM »
Can we please get to the real subject of this forum?

Offline C

• Panoplia Propheticus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 16:51:52 PM »
11cups

welcome to the forum :)

there are hundreds of threads concerning "the real subject of this forum" :) feel free to take part in them or open new threads about topics you like to discuss.

This thread however is about a forum rule ;)

greetz,
C
Communication is life, lying is art, deflection is business, detection is skill.

Offline Hellfirechaser

• Be Quick or Be Dead
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 04:13:20 AM »
As we say here in Germany "punctuation signs aren't herd animals".

Now that's what you can call excessive use . :)

Offline avatar

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 21:15:39 PM »
Hello,

Why not, I'm interest.

Did some modo on a forum.

;D 
 is this normal :   >> " :wub:"

Offline Dingospo

• New Member Group
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 21:59:59 PM »