Author Topic: A worldwide bake sale  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Deepbluehue

A worldwide bake sale
« on: March 07, 2012, 18:37:55 PM »
Every year the vegan community holds a vegan bake sale as a way of both raising awareness of animal rights and also to raise funds that are then donated to a charity benefiting animals.  I'm not sure how many years this event has been held, but it is something that brings the community together to raise awareness of an issue and is a great way to raise funds from people who are willing to donate a few bucks to a cause they like.  I believe the event is held the same weekend all over the world.  I was thinking that maybe we could do this to raise awareness of WikiLeaks and how they have been unfairly treated and help raise funds for them.  If the community came together the same weekend all over the world this could actually work.  Obviously, this does NOT need to be a vegan event  ;D
Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline Erasmas

• http://erasmasofanathem.wordpress.com
Re: A worldwide bake sale
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 22:06:00 PM »
The implication wikileaks <--> animals
don't like

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
I think I may not have expressed myself clearly, sorry for the confusion!  I am NOT suggesting that we have a vegan worldwide bake sale to advocate for animals and WikiLeaks.  I am suggesting we have something like a world wide bake sale to advocate for WikiLeaks and raise money for the organisation.  I only referred to the vegan community to show an example of how they successfully use things like bake sales to raise money for charity and raise public awareness, I see this all the time where I live. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:03:04 AM by Deepbluehue »
Ideas can't hurt you, no matter how strange the idea may be, it's people you have to worry about...

Offline annar_chy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:28:35 AM »
Actually I think it would be totally fun to bake cookies with blue icing that look like the WL logo!  :-X  I have threatened to do that in a different post.  8)  Raise awareness, money & feed people, what more could you ask?  Ok, lots more...   ::)

One idea might be if people wanted to choose their own ingredients, but try to make the cookies look as much as possible like the WL hourglass...  You know, to distinguish this bake sale from other bake sales.

What day would you choose Deep Blue Hue?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
 Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Erasmas

• http://erasmasofanathem.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 21:30:34 PM »
First of all: i didn't wanted to criticize you, deepbluehue! I only thought, that the idea wasn't well engineered.
thanks for your replies. now it becomes more concrete.
what do you think? isn't this an idea for Christine Assange? Starting a campaign with all mothers/fathers missing their sons, e.g. soldiers?
What about the parents of Bradley Manning?

you can use every local event, each press conference, you do not need a specific day. and each parent can bake his own motive.
Let's spin around!

Offline Deepbluehue

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:47:06 AM »
I think if the logistics were worked out, it could be a workable idea.  It would require a lot of people participating to make it work and you would have to advertise your event, plus put out flyers and have a place to hold the event.  You could hold a raffle and give items from the Official WikiLeaks Shop to the winners to draw people in.  How big or how small the events are is dependant on how many people are willing to bake and how much baked stuff you have to offer.